Expired

EE won't give me a Signal Box (Pico cell). Anyone using one?

Found 9th May 2014
I have a T-mobile contract and have moved to a location where the signal is usually nil and sometimes between 0 and 1 bars and is only useful for the occasional text. Spoke with EE and they said they only provide a Signal Box if there is absolutely no signal. I might as well have no signal as it is not possible to make/receive calls as it is.
I pushed them as to why they can’t provide a signal box and was told that it would clash with the small and irregular signal that is present. I thought these boxes only worked with a broadband connection so why would they interfere with a local tower? I’d like to clarify this in case I’ve been misinformed.
Community Updates
18 Comments
they seem to only offer them to corporate clients

ee.co.uk/bus…ons
I think you been misinformed, they currently out of stock, I been told if I don't get the booster in 4 weeks I can cancel my contract. Currently ee down sizing 3G towers and focusing on 4G
bhazz316

I think you been misinformed

In what sense? In that they receive interfere with the signal from a local tower if there is a marginal signal?
The back haul that the signal boxes use is your broadband, however the box itself generates 3G signal - this is what can interfere with the macro level mobile network. That said, the uplink power on a signal box is very low relative to an outdoor mast, so it's more relevant that the outdoor mast will actually interfere with the signal box and cause it to reduce it's (the signal box's) transmit power making it less effective.
I thought EE sold signal boxes to anybody who wanted one?
XOXJADEXOX

The back haul that the signal boxes use is your broadband, however the … The back haul that the signal boxes use is your broadband, however the box itself generates 3G signal - this is what can interfere with the macro level mobile network. That said, the uplink power on a signal box is very low relative to an outdoor mast, so it's more relevant that the outdoor mast will actually interfere with the signal box and cause it to reduce it's (the signal box's) transmit power making it less effective.

Thanks. Wouldn't the Signal box use a different frequency to the local tower to eliminate the potential for interference? Am I correct that the signal box is only supposed to work via broadband so not connect to the local tower at all?
As long as I can get a reliable signal in the same room as the signal box I'll be happy.

XOXJADEXOX

I thought EE sold signal boxes to anybody who wanted one?

They didn't offer to sell me one and suggested I speak to my local store as they might have a different policy.
You can buy them on eBay but will need to check that they will register a second hand one to their network.
The signal box will likely be using the same frequency as the local tower. Operators don't need to worry about frequency re-use for 3G because it uses a CDMA multiplexing technique, however noise is still a factor when it comes to signal quality, so they need to be careful how many cells cover a single area and their power levels. The signal box doesn't connect to your local mast you are right, it is effectively a mobile phone mast inside your house that uses your broadband to get back to the EE core network. This again is pretty much the same as an outdoor mast, which will just have an Ethernet cable that ultimately connects it back to the EE core. The only difference really is that is a dedicated line back to EE whereas the traffic that goes through your signal box goes via the public internet (encrypted over IPSec) back into an EE switch somewhere.
i am also in the same position since xmas my singal is terrible wherever i am most thr time my.phone says emergency calls only frustrating as my partner lives abroad and its hard to get me and the children its causr many arguments so i went into ee and i said i have proof as i have iver 150 pics of no signal and different area as well as home they told me that i could purchase probably a booster at extra cost my bill at mo is 42 i can pay more so i contatcted ofcom who told me to dispute the contact for failing to provide service what i am paying for and if that fails go to ombudsman and try that way which i am juat in middle of doing dispute contract my advice stay away from ee there the worst signal provider .

As in my link they do different type of boxes
But generally not avail to public

Signal boosterGet a weak 3G signal in parts of the office? Choose Signal … Signal boosterGet a weak 3G signal in parts of the office? Choose Signal Booster. It boosts any 3G signal you already have into a full 3G signal, so people throughout your office can talk, text or go online at the same time. You don't need a broadband connection. Just put the receiver unit where there is 3G coverage and the transmitter nearby where there isn't to spread a full 3G signal around your office.2g signal boxFor reliable calls on any phone, new or old, choose 2G Signal Box. They're exclusive to EE, and give you a great signal for talking and texting for up to seven people at a time, up to 50 metres away. Because it's a 2G signal it works for all phones, not just smartphones. We'll also come and professionally install it for you.Signal BoxGot a small office or home workers that don't get any signal? Choose Signal Box. Plug it into your broadband router of office LAN and it creates its own link to our network. In less than an hour you get a full 3G signal that four people can use at the same time, up to 15 metres away. A signal box is a great low-cost solution that works with any 3G phone, like all the latest smartphones. There's no need to manage access lists of who is allowed to use the signal and it won't change your call, text and data charges.Office signal boxNeed a 3G solution for a few more users? The Office Signal Box also creates a full 3G signal for talking, texting and being online. 16 people can make calls simultaneously and up to 40 metres away, enough to keep a medium to large office connected - depending on how many users want to make calls at once. To make sure you get the best possible signal throughout, we'll also come and professionally install it for you.Bespoke solutionsEvery office is different. If it's a big office you might need a combination of boxes and boosters. Or a special one that you can't get off the shelf. With access to the full catalogues of our network suppliers' equipment, we'll happily design and build a bespoke 2G, 3G or 4G solution for you, with all the transmitters, aerials and links you need. So your people can always talk, text and get online in every nook and cranny of your building.

Needless to say most are beyond reach of Joe public and your contract cost won't warrant them giving you one. They don't guarantee coverage everywhere either so don't have to give anything
Edited by: "mrwhitelabel" 10th May 2014
XOXJADEXOX

The signal box will likely be using the same frequency as the local … The signal box will likely be using the same frequency as the local tower. Operators don't need to worry about frequency re-use for 3G because it uses a CDMA multiplexing technique, however noise is still a factor when it comes to signal quality, so they need to be careful how many cells cover a single area and their power levels. The signal box doesn't connect to your local mast you are right, it is effectively a mobile phone mast inside your house that uses your broadband to get back to the EE core network. This again is pretty much the same as an outdoor mast, which will just have an Ethernet cable that ultimately connects it back to the EE core. The only difference really is that is a dedicated line back to EE whereas the traffic that goes through your signal box goes via the public internet (encrypted over IPSec) back into an EE switch somewhere.

Thanks. I suppose they use the same frequency to reduce clashing with other companies’ signals! I can always buy one on eBay and if it doesn’t work for me sell it on. I’ll ask in-store but have a feeling these are expensive direct from EE. Need to check that they’ll register one bought from a 3rd party.
mrwhitelabel

As in my link they do different type of boxes. But generally not avail to … As in my link they do different type of boxes. But generally not avail to public. Needless to say most are beyond reach of Joe public and your contract cost won't warrant them giving you one.

I’m only interested in consumer devices.

XOXJADEXOX

The signal box will likely be using the same frequency as the local … The signal box will likely be using the same frequency as the local tower. Operators don't need to worry about frequency re-use for 3G because it uses a CDMA multiplexing technique, however noise is still a factor when it comes to signal quality, so they need to be careful how many cells cover a single area and their power levels. The signal box doesn't connect to your local mast you are right, it is effectively a mobile phone mast inside your house that uses your broadband to get back to the EE core network. This again is pretty much the same as an outdoor mast, which will just have an Ethernet cable that ultimately connects it back to the EE core. The only difference really is that is a dedicated line back to EE whereas the traffic that goes through your signal box goes via the public internet (encrypted over IPSec) back into an EE switch somewhere.

mrwhitelabel

As in my link they do different type of boxes. But generally not avail … As in my link they do different type of boxes. But generally not avail to public. Needless to say most are beyond reach of Joe public and your contract cost won't warrant them giving you one.

They do one designed for in home use, as the signal box states but it may not be cheap
That said I'm interested in on myself so may ask my local store
I phoned my local store and they said they don't handle them and to speak to EE on the phone.
Got mine free as I threatened to cancel, just sold it on Ebay for £100, result. Call it compensation for poor service and signal!
Just a warning to any one who does get one, they significantly interfere with your wifi signal and consistently dropped my internet speed by 5mbs
Edited by: "damo1972" 10th May 2014
damo1972

Got mine free as I threatened to cancel, just sold it on Ebay for £100, … Got mine free as I threatened to cancel, just sold it on Ebay for £100, result. Call it compensation for poor service and signal!

If your intention all along was to sell it and put up with the signal that you have then I’d call that obtaining goods by deception. Perfectly legal in this case but dishonest and ethically and morally dubious yet you seem proud!
Agharta

If your intention all along was to sell it and put up with the signal … If your intention all along was to sell it and put up with the signal that you have then I’d call that obtaining goods by deception. Perfectly legal in this case but dishonest and ethically and morally dubious yet you seem proud!

TOTALLY WONG!! I had two months left on my contract when they switched off two antennas in my area, they wouldn't let me out of my contract, so they came up up with a solution of a booster box! However for the reasons mention in my last post, it was no a viable solution! After installing the unit the wifi signal more or less disappeared down stairs when the booster was plugged into the router, and my internet speed dropped. When the booster was unplugged everything went back to normal. When my speed and wifi dropped I called my ISP provider who sent open reach out, and open reach diagnosed it as being the booster. The open reach engineer said by rights I should have been charged for the callout, and I had to take time off work to be there, so do I feel guilty for selling it on ebay? Absolutely not.
Hi. Yes, I've got one, I got it a few months ago. I'm on Orange, signal without it was very poor. I just rang up, went through the option for having signal problems, asked for one and got it. Got it at a discount, it cost me about £27. I'm a personal customer, not a business.

northeastkev

Hi. Yes, I've got one, I got it a few months ago. I'm on Orange, … Hi. Yes, I've got one, I got it a few months ago. I'm on Orange, signal without it was very poor. I just rang up, went through the option for having signal problems, asked for one and got it. Got it at a discount, it cost me about £27. I'm a personal customer, not a business.

Thanks. Did you have a new contract as I imagine they'd be more inclined to help if you are able to cancel a new contract due to a poor signal?
Agharta

Thanks. Did you have a new contract as I imagine they'd be more inclined … Thanks. Did you have a new contract as I imagine they'd be more inclined to help if you are able to cancel a new contract due to a poor signal?

Hi. No probs. And no, when I got it I was about half way through a two year contract.
northeastkev

Hi. No probs. And no, when I got it I was about half way through a two … Hi. No probs. And no, when I got it I was about half way through a two year contract.

Just spoke with them a second time and got more sense out of them. They've made me switch the phone to GSM as supposedly I should get a better signal that way! Not exactly a long term solution though.
If they can see that the signal is consistently poor over a 3 month period then I can buy the Signal Box at a 75% discount which means ~£26. They have no stock right now anyway.
My contract expires in 2 months which is much sooner than I thought so I don't want to wait 3 months which is ridiculously long anyway. Wish I'd taken the retention deal that O2 offered me as that is the only decent network in this house.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants