Groups

Eee PC with Linux

Banned
    A friend has just dropped off a netbook running Linux and asked me to see if I can sort the wifi out on it for her.

Now I have never ever used Linux and can't connect to he internet via wifi.

It finds my broadband signal ok but when I try to connect it shows a log of what it is doing and near the end it stated
    "no DCHCPOFFERS received."
    "no working leases in database - sleeping".

Any ideas on what I need to do to get it to work?

Cheers.

3 Comments

Try these:-

1. Turn on the broadcast of the SSID on your router
    2. Ensure you type in the wireless security passphrase correctly, don't use any funky chars in the passphrase and avoid spaces. If you must use spaces try typing it in as a hex key.

Personally, I'd look at replacing the Linux it comes with the latest version of UNR (Ubuntu Netbook Remix). It's quite easy to do but can be a scary prospect on some one else's netbook.

Slateman;7294499

Personally, I'd look at replacing the Linux it comes with the latest … Personally, I'd look at replacing the Linux it comes with the latest version of UNR (Ubuntu Netbook Remix). It's quite easy to do but can be a scary prospect on some one else's netbook.

That's only useful if it's one of the ones with a 1024x640 screen resolution, UNR doesn't support the 800x480 on the original eees very well.

Does the wifi password begin with a capital letter? For some bizzare reason my eee didn't start working until I changed the first letter of my password to lower case.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Tv choice magazine Issue 391313
      2. Magazine competitions - Issue 38 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1717
      3. totalev.com comp - win an electric car2020
      4. Win a Free minion usb stick66

See more discussions