Groups

Eek! What's wrong with my computer?!

OK, was using the computer on Monday, when there was a power cut... turned it back on when the electric was restored, and - plink! - power cut again!

Now, when I turn it on, all will be fine, and then the screen goes funny! I've taken a photo of it (see post 1).

The lines are forever changing colours, and moving, but now, all of a sudden, it's gone back to normal!

Is the power cut the cause, do you think? And if so, is it the Graphics Card; monitor; or is it something else?

Hope someone can advise!

13 Comments

Original Poster

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc320/hodsey77/DSC00225.jpg

Looks very much like a graphics card problem.

Check that the card is seated correctly & that the monitor lead is attached to it snugly.

I dont see the picture?

Looks like it fried your video card? If you have one that is - if you can, try connect the computer to a different monitor to check if it still gives the lines like in the pic, if it does then it's definately the computer, if not its the monitor.

Found this answer on Wiki:

Either the monitor or video card are bad or the wrong software driver is being used for the video card or the refresh rate is out of range for the monitor. How to resolve it: Plug in a different monitor swap the video card into another pc or try a new one make sure the correct software driver is being used for the video card.
    Or there is simply too much dust in the video card fan. Q-tips may be the solution.

Tried the monitor on another PC?

Original Poster

choc1969;3316710

Found this answer on Wiki: Either the monitor or video card are bad or … Found this answer on Wiki: Either the monitor or video card are bad or the wrong software driver is being used for the video card or the refresh rate is out of range for the monitor. How to resolve it: Plug in a different monitor swap the video card into another pc or try a new one make sure the correct software driver is being used for the video card. Or there is simply too much dust in the video card fan. Q-tips may be the solution.

Hmm... that's interesting. I wonder if it's just dusty?

Think I'll try opening it up and seeing if there's a load of dust in there... otherwise trying a different monitior will be a right chew on!

Thanks all for your help so far...

I was hoping you were all gonna say it's because of the power cuts, and then I was gonna see about making a claim! lol! :thumbsup:

Banned

use it as an excuse to upgrade to an LCD monitor

Original Poster

lumoruk;3316767

use it as an excuse to upgrade to an LCD monitor

Heh! I've been putting it off for years! :thumbsup:

tried that degaus thing and resetting the graphics card.... and connections also updating the software

use degauss on the monitor that shud sort it

Original Poster

jackt010;3317343

tried that degaus thing and resetting the graphics card.... and … tried that degaus thing and resetting the graphics card.... and connections also updating the software

Sc0ward;3317368

use degauss on the monitor that shud sort it

First thing I did, lol! :thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. love affairs1649
      2. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1525
      3. Important info for Ryanair customers1825
      4. word association Game73944491

See more discussions