Egg free fairy cake ideas

Found 1st May 2016
I/we have to make fairy cakes for school next week, they can be decorated anyway you like and they will be judged on decoration, prizes given and then the cakes sold off for charity.

They have given all the kids a metal baking tray each to keep which is little kids sized, holds 6 and labeled Flora.

Thing is I don't want egg as I know he's gonna make a mess and dont want him spreading raw egg round the kitchen, so I am looking for egg free fairy cake recipes us two idiots can make with ease, plain recipes as we have white icing sugar, chocolate chips and jelly fruit segments already (will buy more stuff for toppings) so I think having something like a chocolate flavoured base would be a bit much with all the sugar shapes he's going to pile on top.

I have found two egg free cake recipes that look simple I just wondered if anyones made anything similar so can advise which would be best.

Number 1 is the hairy bikers no egg sponge cake mix obviously this is intended for a jam sponge cake but I don't see why it wouldn't make good fairy cakes too.

175g/6oz plain flour
3 tsp baking powder
70g/2½oz margarine
60g/2¼oz sugar
1 tbsp golden syrup
150ml/¼ pint milk
2-3 tbsp jam

Number 2 is a egg free fairy cake mix
• 225g (8 oz) self raising flour
• 2 tsp baking powder
• 175g (6oz) caster sugar
• 6 tbsp sunflour oil
• 250ml (9 fl oz) water
• 1 tsp vanilla extract

14 Comments

Cant really advise which would be better as haven't tried anything similar however my daughter has an egg allergy so I might try these myself! I like the sound of the first set of ingredients as i think the milk would make a light sponge however no. 2 has no dairy as well as no egg so would be ideal for anyone with a dairy allergy/ intolerance too.
Could u post the link/ method please if poss as I'd like to try these. Ta

Why not just use a normal sponge mix and tell your son that YOU will put the eggs in, just like YOU will deal with the hot oven?

Original Poster

anigan

Cant really advise which would be better as haven't tried anything … Cant really advise which would be better as haven't tried anything similar however my daughter has an egg allergy so I might try these myself! I like the sound of the first set of ingredients as i think the milk would make a light sponge however no. 2 has no dairy as well as no egg so would be ideal for anyone with a dairy allergy/ intolerance too. Could u post the link/ method please if poss as I'd like to try these. Ta

Glad I can be of help
http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/food_and_recipes/270646-no-egg-fairy-cake-recipe-does-one-exist

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/eggless_sponge_cake_70634

I'm surprised the school hasn't said anything regarding ingredients, they serve no pork or beef for school dinners because of religions.

I'm thinking the second, I did start off thinking the first because of golden syrup sounds nicer then vanilla but then I noticed number 2 has twice the raising agents so would be less dense.

Original Poster

squiff

Why not just use a normal sponge mix and tell your son that YOU will put … Why not just use a normal sponge mix and tell your son that YOU will put the eggs in, just like YOU will deal with the hot oven?

He should mix his own cakes and fill the cake holders with it. If I do everything they wont be his cakes now will they, this is a kids baking competition with each year judged separately and with separate prizes. Also whats the uppercase shouting for?

as an egg substitute in cakes we use mushed up banana

Error440

He should mix his own cakes and fill the cake holders with it. If I do … He should mix his own cakes and fill the cake holders with it. If I do everything they wont be his cakes now will they, this is a kids baking competition with each year judged separately and with separate prizes. Also whats the uppercase shouting for?

Where did I say you should do everything? I said add the eggs, not make the cakes.

Original Poster

squiff

Where did I say you should do everything? I said add the eggs, not make … Where did I say you should do everything? I said add the eggs, not make the cakes.

You shouted YOU at me, the only reason to write YOU in capital letters is to illicit that I should do everything and only allow him to decorate once they are cooked, as it is inevitable that a young child will splatter cake mix about during mixing, adding and portioning out.

If you didn't intend to give that impression why shout YOU instead of write it properly.

Error440

You shouted YOU at me, the only reason to write YOU in capital letters is … You shouted YOU at me, the only reason to write YOU in capital letters is to illicit that I should do everything and only allow him to decorate once they are cooked, as it is inevitable that a young child will splatter cake mix about during mixing, adding and portioning out.If you didn't intend to give that impression why shout YOU instead of write it properly.

I wasn't shouting, I was emphasising. You've just done it again - claimed I said you should do "everything" when I never said any such thing.

Original Poster

squiff

I wasn't shouting, I was emphasising. You've just done it again - claimed … I wasn't shouting, I was emphasising. You've just done it again - claimed I said you should do "everything" when I never said any such thing.

Writing in block capitals is shouting thats internet rules.

Error440

Writing in block capitals is shouting thats internet rules.

OK, in that case I apologise for writing in caps. I didn't mean to shout.

What happens in the next competition. Just because you deem it messy and want to avoid ingredients, hope there isn't an omelette competition next you'll be snookered

wash the kitchen and use egg - be faster than this

you said it was a baking contest, if hes not putting them in the oven himself (i am not advising it) then hes not baking hes just mixing so maybe be a normal parent and help a little

Unless he's a **** who throws eggs around the kitchen, half the fun is making the (controlled) mess!
Post a comment
@
    Text