Eggs contaminated with toxic insecticide may have entered UK, EU warns

Found 4th Aug 2017Edited by:"m00head"
Eggs contaminated with insecticide may have entered UK, EU warns - The Guardian
"Eggs contaminated with a toxic insecticide harmful to humans may have reached shops in the UK. British food safety authorities were alerted over the weekend that eggs imported from Germany could be dangerous, the European commission said in Brussels on Monday."

Millions of eggs removed from European shelves over toxicity fears
- The Guardian
"Millions of eggs are being recalled from shops and warehouses in Germany and the Netherlands and being blocked from sale in Belgium after some were found to contain high levels of a toxic insecticide banned from use in the production of food for human consumption."
Community Updates
Eggs which are banned , list of codes , some 20,000 eggs have made their way into UK :-
This is in Dutch, so crucially after the first number , if the next two letters of your eggs bought have NL then study the following 138 farm codes carefully against your egg code marked on your eggs (if not British one). NL means eggs are from the Nederlands (Dutch). Possibly also Belgium eggs with code BE as the 3rd and 4th letters in the code.
nvwa.nl/ond…jst
Misc
16 Comments
To be on the safe side, only buy British Lion eggs and throw away any you already have which do not have the British Lion mark on them.
Buy British, Give the EU the middle finger.
shauneco28 m ago

Buy British, Give the EU the middle finger.

I wouldn't even give them that.
I've never seen eggs for sale that were not lion marked, the catering industry on the other hand is another matter, are our mr kiplings and such like safe?
Business leadership sounds like here, "We have done nothing wrong, we acted in good faith and followed the best practice prodedures, all of our orders require the highest standards of our suppliers, our customers' health and safety are of utmost importance to us, we shall fully co-operate with the authorities in their investigation..., there shall be lesson to be learnt from these investigations.
Lesson from 2011, 2013....such as these old news:
Dioxin scandal: Germans warned about contaminated eggs
German farms in egg 'fraud'
The Belgian PCB/dioxin incident: analysis of the food chain contamination and health risk evaluation.
Dutch dioxin-contaminated eggs exported to Belgium and Luxembourg
Wait for it, our Defra launches testing of British eggs soon ( don't they monitor by testing all the time for yonks or do they wait for a calamity?!)
Defra launches testing regime on British eggs
Edited by: "splender" 4th Aug 2017
Error44031 m ago

I've never seen eggs for sale that were not lion marked, the catering …I've never seen eggs for sale that were not lion marked, the catering industry on the other hand is another matter, are our mr kiplings and such like safe?

15% off eggs are imported in 2016 excluding egg products egg as additive ingredients.
These were at Lidl or Aldi?
But it's alright to down plants and your pets in the stuff, right?
MSK.4th Aug

Ah-hemm, shall I let you in on a trade secret in catering for others....ssshhhhh, some places...I whisper in your ear, they buy the cheapest ingredients and then some cooks or factory workers jovially say, " I am glad that I don't have to eat this m**k."
Always eat quality food and cook your own is my advice, including what your pets eat.
groenleader4th Aug

These were at Lidl or Aldi?

Doubtful. Try looking on the labels.
qbs3 m ago

Doubtful. Try looking on the labels.

Aha yeah its been cleared now. The eggs were pulled from Aldi stores in Europe and they only had UK eggs for sale in the UK.

As with all supermarkets some products produced in the EU may have been made with contaminated eggs.

Of course if the VW dieselgate scandal is anything to go by....! Belgiam kept the bad Dutch eggs "top secret"!
Edited by: "groenleader" 6th Aug 2017
From trough to table: mapping the food chain saves lives - The Guardian
"Nearly half of global manufacturers say they don’t have any visibility past their direct suppliers – in other words, they don’t know what is happening in their supply chain. While they may audit first tier suppliers, they usually cannot see beyond them to their suppliers’ suppliers."

Horsemeat scandal: the essential guide - The Guardian
"Why are the supply chains so complex?
The food and retail industries have become highly concentrated and globalised in recent decades. A handful of key players dominate the food processing and supermarket sectors across Europe. They have developed very long supply chains, particularly for their economy lines, which enable them to buy the ingredients for processed foods from wherever they are cheapest at any point, depending on exchange rates and prices on the global commodity markets."
Edited by: "m00head" 6th Aug 2017
Add info to OP's original post above, if you have Dutch eggs still at home ( I am chucking away my Belgium ones , marked BE just in case.)
Link attached above , but you can identify the NL from this photo:-
31639999-3GeXj.jpg
products from 57 Belgian egg producers – about a quarter of the country’s producers – had been blocked as a preventative measure. source: theguardian.com/wor…rns
Edited by: "splender" 7th Aug 2017
MSK.4th Aug

Eh? Who gives eggs to plants and pets?
Ohhhh you meant fibranol lol. I'm a fool.
Edited by: "Satan_Claws" 7th Aug 2017
Satan_Claws1 h, 42 m ago

Eh? Who gives eggs to plants and pets? Ohhhh you meant fibranol lol. …Eh? Who gives eggs to plants and pets? Ohhhh you meant fibranol lol. I'm a fool.

You give egg shells to quail
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions