Eglobal Central - How the scam works

Posted 2nd Apr 2019
Hi, after some considerable digging and calling around couriers, I have found out (possibly) why perhaps a good portion of Eglobal Central orders don't ever turn up, despite practically being on your doorstep (in UK with courier).
I was told this happens hundreds of times a week.
Turns out it's a suspected scam - couriers words, not mine.

I ordered a phone from them, 3 days later it was with the UK courier (13ten) and I was getting ready for my delivery......
Time passed day by day and the tracking never moved, it was in the UK, but not with me. Eglobal have come back with 4 replies now all about filing claims, but without a word about helping me.
So it works like this (the scam, if it is), it seems to be largely insured parcels that this happens too, according to the courier.

1.You place order, pay with credit card or Paypal (so you're insured right?) then you pay the insurance too, it's only a couple of quid so you'd be a fool not too.

2.Eglobal dispatch a 'parcel' , now this is where the fraud starts... the couriers believe there is either nothing of value, or something other than the content making it feel like there is your item inside, but they suspect it could be something of no value, ie, they haven't even sent a phone. Eglobal mess up the shipping label somehow leaving the courier unable to deliver it (even as it turns out with phone numbers and correct address on!) so it gets sent back to Eglobal - BUT and it's a big BUT, that service is NOT tracked, even by the courier, and takes around 16 days.

3. You claim on your card or through Paypal and eGLOBAL (Tobydeals group) claims on YOUR postal insurance and pockets it, letting your claim with Paypal or with the credit card company go to through so you get a refund too - there is little chance of Paypal or the credit card company getting the money back through the normal routes as Eglobal is in China, so it's either written off by Paypal/Credit card and they claim through their insurance. Also they have so much money going through them from Eglobal and Tobydeals group, they won't stop it anyway.

4. Eglobal possibly never sent a phone, so they are up a phone and your insurance.

5. Eglobal possibly laugh all the way to the bank.

This obviously can't be proved so take it with a pinch of salt. I wonder if it will even be allowed on here by the mods - I just thought it was worth sharing the info - make of it what you want. If it is a scam, it's a nice little earner.
Community Updates
Misc
18 Comments
Why wouldn't the courier companies track returns to sender? Surely from a logistical standpoint a delivery is a delivery - whether that be to buyer or return?
Smeaton172415 m ago

Why wouldn't the courier companies track returns to sender? Surely from a …Why wouldn't the courier companies track returns to sender? Surely from a logistical standpoint a delivery is a delivery - whether that be to buyer or return?

I have no idea, I thought it was strange too, but both couriers told me that. All I can say is if you'd like to find out if this info is correct phone 13ten (who then send it back to WNdirect) - it's them who told me it first, then WNdirect who told me the same thing.
I don't see why they would 'make it up' though.

Also I have just got off the phone with Paypal's fraud department - at least they were kind of honest about it, but they said even when they do find out, and eventually close the account, they just open another one up and the whole cycle starts again. This isn't aimed soley at eglobal, it's any account where they have enough evidence of fraudulent goings on.
Edited by: "Stormpooper" 2nd Apr 2019
I read this and at first thought what a load of crap, then realised its quite easily possible, international tracking is flawed at the best of times once an item gets into the UK, so to take advantage would be quite easy.

Although as of late I have had more notifications from AliExpress stating my order has been delivered and when I get home find it really has, so maybe international tracking is getting better with some services.

At least this potential scam isn't hitting you in the pocket but the inconvenience and time wasted is at the very least frustrating, not to mention the financial institutes such as card providers and PayPal are passing the costs onto consumers as any business would where losses are involved.
I agree completely, no one is getting hurt, we all get our money back and like you rightly say it is more of an inconvenience than anything else.
Funny thing about it all is, even IF they send another phone, they are still up a phone and everyone is still happy.... but of course someone has to foot the insurance bill at some point, it's not free (I'm talking about Paypal,Credit card companies etc). We all pay it on every item we buy, even if it's a penny at a time , x that buy billions of transactions and there's your insurance.
Edited by: "Stormpooper" 2nd Apr 2019
I brought a Note 9 from Tobydeals no insurance and it was delivered fine however I don't doubt this doesn't happen but you haven't given who the source is which makes it's validity much harder to believe.

One thing I will say is it shows how much we in the UK are being ripped off considering the prices charged on there and they are still making a profit #ripoffbritain
Personator123402/04/2019 13:14

I brought a Note 9 from Tobydeals no insurance and it was delivered fine …I brought a Note 9 from Tobydeals no insurance and it was delivered fine however I don't doubt this doesn't happen but you haven't given who the source is which makes it's validity much harder to believe.One thing I will say is it shows how much we in the UK are being ripped off considering the prices charged on there and they are still making a profit #ripoffbritain

The source was the two couriers, which I put in the posts above. I have better things to do than come on here and make up extensive fairy stories with nothing to gain from. This is simply what I was told, whether they are making the whole thing up I have no way of proving, or knowing.
Stormpooper27 m ago

...there is little chance of Paypal or the credit card company getting the …...there is little chance of Paypal or the credit card company getting the money back through the normal routes as Eglobal is in China, so it's either written off by Paypal/Credit card and they claim through their insurance...

Nah, t&c of cc merchant accounts is that the cc company simply deduct any loss from the merchant's future transactions. I imagine PayPal has something similar, especially considering PP can be brutal towards its merchants.
Find anyone that works for a courier or postal service and they will tell you about thefts and packages delivered to wrong address. High value items are more a target but anything can go missing. Betrer tracking is the answer I guess but they are trying to catch people and they do.
Edited by: "wayners" 2nd Apr 2019
Stormpooper02/04/2019 12:58

...you pay the insurance too, it's only a couple of quid so you'd be a …...you pay the insurance too, it's only a couple of quid so you'd be a fool not too...

So the customer is a fool to buy the insurance, as your OP statement is identifying insurance fraud as the reason why packages are not arriving.
I have never paid any insurance when purchasing any item over £100 from EGC and paying directly via credit card. Not because I am or am not a fool (jury still out on that), but because there is simply no need to, and I'd suggest it would be wasting money (foolish?) to buy the insurance in that specific circumstance of £100+ item purchase funded directly br credit card. Always had my ordered items successfully delivered without issue.
Personator123427 m ago

I brought a Note 9 from Tobydeals no insurance and it was delivered fine …I brought a Note 9 from Tobydeals no insurance and it was delivered fine however I don't doubt this doesn't happen but you haven't given who the source is which makes it's validity much harder to believe.One thing I will say is it shows how much we in the UK are being ripped off considering the prices charged on there and they are still making a profit #ripoffbritain

I bought from Toby Deals too. Phone is still perfect now
AndyRoyd4 m ago

So the customer is a fool to buy the insurance, as your OP statement is …So the customer is a fool to buy the insurance, as your OP statement is identifying insurance fraud as the reason why packages are not arriving.I have never paid any insurance when purchasing any item over £100 from EGC and paying directly via credit card. Not because I am or am not a fool (jury still out on that), but because there is simply no need to, and I'd suggest it would be wasting money (foolish?) to buy the insurance in that specific circumstance of £100+ item purchase funded directly br credit card. Always had my ordered items successfully delivered without issue.

I feel foolish now, of course. But for £2 or whatever it was I believed it would offer me a little more protection if things went pear shaped. As it happens it may just have made it go pear shaped.... irony.
I’ve ordered expensive DJI drones from eglobal and they were delivered quickly with no customs fees. Pretty poor fraud if they deliver the items to me.
Stormpooper02/04/2019 13:24

The source was the two couriers, which I put in the posts above. I have …The source was the two couriers, which I put in the posts above. I have better things to do than come on here and make up extensive fairy stories with nothing to gain from. This is simply what I was told, whether they are making the whole thing up I have no way of proving, or knowing.

Specifically, which two couriers are relaying this information to you?
13Ten and WNdirect
deleted1781203/04/2019 05:53

My first reaction was "...Who?" as I had not heard of either of them.Are …My first reaction was "...Who?" as I had not heard of either of them.Are 13Ten just restricted to the Normanton area, & are WNdirect's Trust Pilot reviews accurate?[ https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/wndirect.com ]

I don't know on both accounts, sorry.
Funny thing is despite being told one thing on the phone, today I look at the tracking and it's been updated with the opposite to what I was told yesterday!
They told me the parcel had arrived and the linking data was wrong so it was sent back, now it says on their site '02/04/2019 Awaiting parcel (DATA received)' just goes to show you can't believe anything anyone tells you.
Edited by: "Stormpooper" 3rd Apr 2019
Stormpooper4 h, 36 m ago

I don't know on both accounts, sorry. Funny thing is despite being told …I don't know on both accounts, sorry. Funny thing is despite being told one thing on the phone, today I look at the tracking and it's been updated with the opposite to what I was told yesterday!They told me the parcel had arrived and the linking data was wrong so it was sent back, now it says on their site '02/04/2019 Awaiting parcel (DATA received)' just goes to show you can't believe anything anyone tells you.

I think you'll find a few sceptics in this thread prior to today.
Spent £350 last year on an S8 and it came within the week, I didnt pay for insurance, Paypal took care of that for me.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants