Groups

Egypt money

Flying to Egypt next week. Tried to change money into Egyptian pounds is proving impossible, been told by both Thomson and Thomas Cook to take only US dollars as Egyptian money is not allowed to be flown into the country. My questions are:
    can I take sterling and change at the airport in Egypt without being fleeced?
    Can i pay visa fee in sterling?
    Literally only taking £50 each as we have no need to purchase anything except a snorkelling trip.

12 Comments

sophieb1986

Flying to Egypt next week. Tried to change money into Egyptian … Flying to Egypt next week. Tried to change money into Egyptian pounds is proving impossible, been told by both Thomson and Thomas Cook to take only US dollars as Egyptian money is not allowed to be flown into the country. My questions are:can I take sterling and change at the airport in Egypt without being fleeced? Can i pay visa fee in sterling?Literally only taking £50 each as we have no need to purchase anything except a snorkelling trip.

I only say this because I am unable to help but what if you just took your debit card and with draw the money at an atm?

yep British pounds ok, make sure it's English and not Scottish. You have a choice to pay in pounds or Egypt pounds in most places, although the last time I've been in the rate that was offered was very competitive

Airports are always the most expensive exchange rates. Your best bet is to use a credit card and withdraw from ATM. There is no point changing £ to $ then $ to EGP.

kvn618

yep British pounds ok, make sure it's English and not Scottish. You have … yep British pounds ok, make sure it's English and not Scottish. You have a choice to pay in pounds or Egypt pounds in most places, although the last time I've been in the rate that was offered was very competitive

totally agree!

Might be worth looking into getting a revolut card (https://revolut.com/). EGP is a supported currency, i.e. your card can be used in local currency and you will be converted at interbank rate from either GBP/ USD/ EUR (depending on how you decide to top up your account). You can also withdraw up to £200 (currency equivalent) per calendar month from an ATM (2% fee applies thereafter), so should still be cheaper than using a credit card.
    One thing to note, the actual card delivery costs £5 for standard or £12 for express.

When I went, we mainly paid for everything in English £s.
    But the exchange rate over there was very reasonable also.

Don't change money at the airport for sure as you will be ripped off, the rates are terrible. We lost so much doing this when we went Marrakech last week.

Also, don't use a credit card to withdraw cash as this is the last thing that is paid off when paying off your card, it's a higher rate than purchase so if you have purchased stuff on it in the past, and then you take out cash you'll be paying off your purchase spend and then your cash but because cash interest rate is high you'll pay alot more over time.

As people have mentioned, don't exchange money at the airport, take a debit card and GBP. From my experience I've found you get a better rate for £50 notes, if you're inclined to haggle.

Seconding Revolut. If you're going next week you'll need to pay for expedited delivery on your card (£12). Absolutely worth it, you get the "real" interbank exchange rate and don't need to worry about being fleeced. Never had any issues, but if you do do their customer support seems great. You just top up, order your card and away you go.

I've withdrawn cash from atm using my debit card no bother in Egypt. Plenty of them around

Been 4 times to Sharm and everytime i took 2K in EGP which i got from the post office, also used the cash machines with no problems at all

when we went to Egypt you got a better exchange rate there than here - but pay in English pounds and they'll cheat you, as everyone does there. They also all expect tips. Never going back.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What kind of workstation desk should I buy for my office / music room ?47
      2. I've just had a flame deer pop up on my page , I'm confused66
      3. Confused over mobile phones from China?11
      4. Ripped off by GearBest, VERY ANGRY!1212

See more discussions