Electric Bike 1 year later? any one with one

Found 15th Aug 2017
Looking at getting a electric bike to get me out and excercising, around 800-1000£ not looking for suggestions just want to ask what its like owning one for 1 year +, do they get broken, pricey to fix? I assume a new battery is need after charges or time, so I spose try find company who will sell battery down the line, thanks
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
Electric Bike for exercising?

Run up and down the stairs a few times a day, that will save you a Grand, ..... Oh, hang on, theve got those electrics things haven't they, what they called again.... Lifts.
zirk3 m ago

Electric Bike for exercising?Run up and down the stairs a few times a day, …Electric Bike for exercising?Run up and down the stairs a few times a day, that will save you a Grand, ..... Oh, hang on, theve got those electrics things haven't they, what they called again.... Lifts.

I'm not fat by any means but for me riding a mountain bike is boring because you go so slow even if putting in loads of effort if it can assist me going faster is lot more enjoyable just on flat roads themself, and also it can be really fun to go on rides, some people go to the pub and spend 15£, some go to cinema, some spend it over 3 years on a electric bike

I do the stairs which helps but would like to find more time getting outside, walking is boring, jogging is not really good for joints
Actually, thinking about it, forget the Stairs in case you fall down them and try and sue me, I dont want to be held responsible

Stick to the Bike on the way to the Pub, just dont electrocute yourself or fall off it. .
Had mine just over a year , the Halfords Carrera one . I 've done about 800 miles with no issues (it did the cut out thing once, but has been fine since I cleaned the battery contacts with contact cleaner and I always give them a squirt before fitting the battery) . Just maintained it like a normal bike -oil and clean .

No drop off on battery performance or range so far. I recharge it every time I use it so probably 20 - 30 charges so far . Its Lithium so I can't see that being a problem .

A thing about speed ,you mention. All Ebikes have the motors limited to 25 kmh (18mph) by law so if you want to go faster you can do but won't have any motor assistance . All in all one of my better buys takes the hills and headwinds out of a cycle ride.
rogparki3 m ago

Had mine just over a year , the Halfords Carrera one . I 've done about …Had mine just over a year , the Halfords Carrera one . I 've done about 800 miles with no issues (it did the cut out thing once, but has been fine since I cleaned the battery contacts with contact cleaner and I always give them a squirt before fitting the battery) . Just maintained it like a normal bike -oil and clean . No drop off on battery performance or range so far. I recharge it every time I use it so probably 20 - 30 charges so far . Its Lithium so I can't see that being a problem . A thing about speed ,you mention. All Ebikes have the motors limited to 25 kmh (18mph) by law so if you want to go faster you can do but won't have any motor assistance . All in all one of my better buys takes the hills and headwinds out of a cycle ride.

on there at the moment there is 800£ and 1000£ which one did you get?

would you say a year on you still use it frequently or less frequently
this is how this post sounds...
I want to do more exercise/I want to gout out more .... while doing 3/4 of it in a car
Edited by: "mattsk" 15th Aug 2017
Creatishh15th Aug 2017

on there at the moment there is 800£ and 1000£ which one did you get?would …on there at the moment there is 800£ and 1000£ which one did you get?would you say a year on you still use it frequently or less frequently

I actually got the Crossfire E which I see is now £1200 ,it was on offer last week for £1000 . The Vulcan for £1000 is more of a mountain bike , the Crossfire a hybrid ,but it seems from a quick scan that the electrics are similar . The £650 one is by the look of it just a small wheel city bike , doesn't look much fun and has a smaller battery /hence range .

Don't use mine all the time , just on holidays and weekends (rides of about 30 - 40 miles with a couple of pub breaks ) . There are 4 levels of assistance , most of the time I use the first or second sometimes the third level into a strong headwind or up a hill . Only really need the top level of assistance on a really steep hill which the then go up easier than if you were on the level .

If you are thinking of buying a Halfords one membership of the British cycling federation (BCF) gives you 10% off (membership fee £22 per annum ) . If you have a scheme through work to get reloadable cards (mine gives 10% off Halfords or Love to Shop cards ) there is a further saving there .

Pay no attention to the scoffers , at every pub we stop at folks are far more interested in my EBike than the GFs expensive normal one and even fellow cyclists don't scoff any more .
mattsk1 h, 45 m ago

this is how this post sounds...I want to do more exercise/I want to gout …this is how this post sounds...I want to do more exercise/I want to gout out more .... while doing 3/4 of it in a car

Get a electric bike on rent for a day and do 6 miles on it then do 3 miles on a normal bike, then you will see what the fuss it all about, it's not about being lazy the extra umph make it so much more enjoyable
rogparki1 h, 13 m ago

I actually got the Crossfire E which I see is now £1200 ,it was on offer …I actually got the Crossfire E which I see is now £1200 ,it was on offer last week for £1000 . The Vulcan for £1000 is more of a mountain bike , the Crossfire a hybrid ,but it seems from a quick scan that the electrics are similar . The £650 one is by the look of it just a small wheel city bike , doesn't look much fun and has a smaller battery /hence range .Don't use mine all the time , just on holidays and weekends (rides of about 30 - 40 miles with a couple of pub breaks ) . There are 4 levels of assistance , most of the time I use the first or second sometimes the third level into a strong headwind or up a hill . Only really need the top level of assistance on a really steep hill which the then go up easier than if you were on the level . If you are thinking of buying a Halfords one membership of the British cycling federation (BCF) gives you 10% off (membership fee £22 per annum ) . If you have a scheme through work to get reloadable cards (mine gives 10% off Halfords or Love to Shop cards ) there is a further saving there . Pay no attention to the scoffers , at every pub we stop at folks are far more interested in my EBike than the GFs expensive normal one and even fellow cyclists don't scoff any more .

Thanks will take a look at that discount, I'm not worried about people dissing, they most likely buy stuff that I could easily dis because i think its silly, but thats life everyone likes there own thing
Creatishh15th Aug 2017

Get a electric bike on rent for a day and do 6 miles on it then do 3 miles …Get a electric bike on rent for a day and do 6 miles on it then do 3 miles on a normal bike

I wouldn't call a mountain bike a normal bike though, have you tried a road bike?
Creatishh15th Aug 2017

Get a electric bike on rent for a day and do 6 miles on it then do 3 miles …Get a electric bike on rent for a day and do 6 miles on it then do 3 miles on a normal bike, then you will see what the fuss it all about, it's not about being lazy the extra umph make it so much more enjoyable

ohh but I did. in fact I was doing 100mile journeys and never complained. but hey some of us expect riding down the hill all the time
Beyond normal bike maintenance, including forks on mtb's, it is nearly always the battery on failure that costs most - in example you are looking at above this thread states £350 - pedelecs.co.uk/for…14/

In case of lithium cells, if putting the bike away for a period would advise leaving it half charged - cells completely drained become dead and the other end lowers capacity.
Edited by: "Bertz99" 16th Aug 2017
If you just want something for riding on the road instead of a mountain bike get a road bike and get fit properly
If you want to cycle for exercise but also go faster surely the answer would be to buy a road bike not an electric bike?

I have a mountain bike to go out with the kids and can comfortably average 12-14 mph, yet on my road bike comfortably averaging 18-20mph depending on hills.
Like Rogparki above I recently bought the Carrera Crossfire from Halfords and would definitely recommend it. They appear to have gone back to the RRP of 1200, so I'd be inclined to wait until Halfords discount again at the end of the summer. Came in at around 860 with a cycle club membership discount. Which puts it at the same price point as Ebay items, but with the backup of a local shop if it goes wrong. With average use the battery should last at least 3-4 years.
Halfords will let you test ride for an hour, you need ID and credit card. As mentioned they also do an off road version which is cheaper (Vulcan) and has the same electrics. There are plenty of video tests on Youtube.
Regarding getting fit, personally I always liked cycling but loathed sweating up a hill, and I live in an area with plenty of them, you still have to put some effort into cycling an E-bike, how much effort is up to you altering the the power output. I leave it off or minimum most the time and use it for the hated hills, which means I still get plenty of exercise but less pain!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants