Electric Bike Advice.

Found 17th Oct 2017
My dad who is 62 has he's heart set on buying a electric bike and has seen this one halfords.com/cyc…ike
Is this good value and if better for around the same price can someone point me in the right direction. He'll use it just for casual bike riding. Thanks!!
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
3 Comments
Most but not all are pedal assist. This means that you need to pedal to ensure the motor kicks in and the speed is restricted to 18mph (I think)

Some bikes, although considered illegal, will have a throttle switch (so no pedalling required) and will exceed the 18mph restriction (some with an extra switch to over-ride the restriction). The law states these bikes are illegal but try a find a conviction or a police officer who has stopped one or can identify one and you won't. If you ride sensibly - not going full throttle on city roads in busy traffic etc then you are unlikely to be "caught" if ever there was to be a first.

The problem I had is that (for health reasons) I wasn't able to continue to pedal. I loved cycling and after 2 bouts of illness I decided to jump back into cycling to get fit again but on the 2 occasions I tried I collapsed on the side of the road - not a good thing to happen both for my health and also my safety. I then went down the road (excuse the pun) of looking at pedal assist - as I Said I loved cycling and I got myself a secondhand E-bike but it didn't help with my newly diagnosed condition. I couldn't maintain the pedalling...... and that's what you need to consider for your dad.

Yes he's only 62 and he may be fit as a fiddle - I was. I'm ex forces, ex postie, ex keen cycling, ex runner (also always walked when some would use car/bus), DIY, gardening etc etc but then I was hit with 2 "episodes" then a secondary illness identified the reason I couldn't do what I used to do.

I'm not saying it'll happen to your dad. £800 isn't a lot these days and it might be money worth spending - I'm just trying to give my side/advice/experience.

I could have spent £1000 on a E-bike (illegal) with additional battery but I thought I could spend the same on an E-scooter (more speed/more distance but still restricted) and then consider a petrol scooter (greater speed/greater distance (restricted to about 64mph). I know own and love my Honda PCX 125 - 140mpg / £9 to fill up / £18 VED / £140 insurance and I get the experience/enjoyment of riding two wheels without the need to pedal.

HTH

ps
AFAIK you have to keep the battery topped up regularly so storing it away over winter will still require the battery to be charged up a few times even though you are not using it. If you let the battery discharge enough that the adapter will not recharge it then potentially you'll be looking at £250 thereabouts for replacement battery.
Edited by: "philphil61" 17th Oct 2017
You can get a legal throttle assist as long as it was made pre 2016 so look for new old stock as they can still be sold.

As said you do need to keep up the charging on the battery and always go for a lithium battery as others are too heavy

They are great bike to have if you are restricted in using a normal bike.

Be aware that if you break down can you ride it home OK
I've got the Carrera Crossfire and love it. It will do the stated range but you have to manage the battery life. Simple really, just turn the power to minimum unless going up hills. Its a really nice bike to ride. Price varies a bit, but Halfords regularly discount plus join Cycling UK and get an extra 10%. The only downside common to all ebikes is the weight of the bike.23kg. Not a biggy unless you run out of power a long way from home.
This is fairly new tech and I liked the fact that if there were problems I could get Halfords to sort locally. A bit risky buying online, IMHO.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions