Electric bike recommendations please

Posted 20th Sep
Lot of bicycle fans here. As a keen cyclist thinking of biting the bullet and cycling to work. Trouble is its 15miles to Bath (think a busy touristy area with chronic traffic problem and Kilimanjaro hills). Its not the distance but the steep hills I'll need help with. Hence question. Has anyone got any affordable recommendations? Can get work scheme to help with the financials. Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

7 Comments
I would personally get a mountain bike over a hybrid, regardless of which one its too heavy to expect to ride without power so at that point save the grief in comford on our rubbish roads and punctures by going mountain bike.

halfords.com/cyc…ame

I've had this bike for 1.5 year nows and the battery will only just get me home and back now which is 12 miles, for first 1 year it would of done 15 miles. so keep this in mind. this is with it being on high the whole way and 2-3 small hills.

Overall love Ebiking and would never go back, this is only way priced to where you can make your money back IMO, paying 2-3k on a bike seems silly as would take so long to earn that back!.

I got this bike for 600£ after many discounts schemes I got it under, and probs spend another 200-250 on repairs here and there (mainly breaks) i have big hills and cost 30-40 for new pads fitted (can do yourself for 20)

I personally would want to see the bike pay for itself within 1-1.5 years, so take yours public transport cost and x days x weeks a year to work this out.

By the way i'm 23, in shape but lazy (IT)
Edited by: "Gumbon" 20th Sep
Do you simply cycle for the excitement of it or do you want to improve fitness? If fitness is the main reason then scrap any assistance and get to work lol
Gumbon20/09/2019 14:41

I would personally get a mountain bike over a hybrid, regardless of which …I would personally get a mountain bike over a hybrid, regardless of which one its too heavy to expect to ride without power

People make way too much fuss over the weight of the bike. Lighter bikes are nice, but it's not that much more effort to propel 100kg of e-bike and rider than 90kg of normal bike and rider.

Although bear in mind eBikes are often geared differently, so they can feel slower because you don't have the higher gears. For example the non-electric version of the mountain bike you've linked has a larger 42T chainring than the 38T one fitted to the electric version.
Get a bafeng or cyclone mid drive kit from eclipsebikes.com and a new bike from wherever then just pay a bike shop to install.

Enjoy 40 mph twist and go with no pedalling needed.
EndlessWaves20/09/2019 16:31

People make way too much fuss over the weight of the bike. Lighter bikes …People make way too much fuss over the weight of the bike. Lighter bikes are nice, but it's not that much more effort to propel 100kg of e-bike and rider than 90kg of normal bike and rider.Although bear in mind eBikes are often geared differently, so they can feel slower because you don't have the higher gears. For example the non-electric version of the mountain bike you've linked has a larger 42T chainring than the 38T one fitted to the electric version.

I'd like you hear you say that riding mine with no assist, it's absolitly ridiculous
Gumbon21/09/2019 09:07

I'd like you hear you say that riding mine with no assist, it's absolitly …I'd like you hear you say that riding mine with no assist, it's absolitly ridiculous

It shouldn't be the weight. I've loaded my bike up to a similar weight to yours in the past with carrying stuff (+higher center of gravity and worse aerodynamics) and it's not been a big deal.

Are you sure it's not rubbing brake pads or something?
Ebike, MTB ebike with as many gears as possible. 8 just isn't enough.
The ebike will get you cruising speed at which time you take over, that's it in a nutshell.
On hills it will keep you from going super low gear & wobbling / struggling & stressing whilst still working it.

I own an A2B model hybrid & even up hills am doing 13 -15 mph, they just keep you grinding on without pause so good for your longevity.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants