Electric Blanket

Posted 29th Feb
When me and wife was talking about turning our electric blanket on before we get in bed our 25 year old daughter looked at us in discuss and said how old fashioned we are ‘ we are only on our 50s ‘ who else still uses electric blankets in the winter .(party)
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
I'm 25 and haven't had my couch delivered yet so use my bedroom constantly. Turn my elec blanket on as soon as I get home and turn it off just before I drift off to sleep.
Also looking at buying an electric throw but don't have the size/colour I want in stock.
They cost peanuts to run compared to an electric heating system so I'm happy.
Costs £2.90 to run a 90watt blanket for 8 hours a day per month.

Maybe when your daughter moves out and has to pay her own heating bills then she will appreciate the wonders of an electric blanket :P
Plug it into a smart plug and then give her the finger and ask her "is that modern enough?"
12 Comments
I'm 25 and haven't had my couch delivered yet so use my bedroom constantly. Turn my elec blanket on as soon as I get home and turn it off just before I drift off to sleep.
Also looking at buying an electric throw but don't have the size/colour I want in stock.
They cost peanuts to run compared to an electric heating system so I'm happy.
Costs £2.90 to run a 90watt blanket for 8 hours a day per month.

Maybe when your daughter moves out and has to pay her own heating bills then she will appreciate the wonders of an electric blanket :P
Plug it into a smart plug and then give her the finger and ask her "is that modern enough?"
I suffer an autoimmune illness and my body hates the cold. But I was born in the 70’s before double glazing and heating, and no quilts . So I’ve had an electric blanket for last ten years and I’m only just 50. Wouldn’t be without one in winter
My Mrs. loved her electric blanket at 25 and still does at 55!
I went to sleep last night with my electric blanket on. My husband says it’s the best thing we have ever bought. He works nights and it helps him sleep getting in a warm bed.
We've had an underblanket for about 6 months. Got it plugged into a smart plug. 15 mins before we go to bed it's a quick' ok google blanket on' . Then it's nice and toasty when we get in bed. It gets turned off about 5 mins later. Did once fall asleep with it on full blast, were really hot when we woke up an hour later.
Edited by: "yorkie12" 29th Feb
You said, "When me and wife was talking about turning our electric blanket on before we get in bed our 25 year old daughter looked at us in discuss (disgust? or "and discuss") and said how old fashioned"

If your comment had its origin in jest and casuality from your daughter, please do not read on.

If your comment was made due to you and wife taking her words seriously and felt unease, then read on.

Your comment's subject matter belongs to issues belonging to a category of Socio-education in a sub-category of "UEPL (UEPL (Understanding of Everyday Practical Living)" & PSED (Personal, social, Emotional Development).

In UEPL:-
1. In the cycle of life, young becomes old, the clock ticks, your daughter (in common with many who have negative comments about the old and aged, esp. on social networks) may not realise that she could become old fashioned herself. Therefore, is her issue, her lack of UEPL (young (fashioned) grows old (fashioned)), or is it lack of skills in PSED, do know that she could become old fashioned but has a P, S, or D issue with you?

2. We should know it is common sense to use an item as close to hand, or as close as possible. Additionally, there is a notion of convenience, moreover, some items show physical properties that their use close by maximises the benefits. In this case, she should know an electric blanket gives out heat. Therefore, the benefit of heat is maximised. She needs to consider and include these aspects of convenience, efficiency and immediate benefits to any user in common understanding of everyday living in Britain. Critically, since the resource (heat) is closest, therefore, the cost in minimised as it heats you up first before the heat goes elsewhere. This is really basic education in the elementary understanding of heat.

InP S E D:-
1. One point is already mentioned above, another is, as a daughter or any stranger, it is a social norm for a 25 year old to use daily, her personal skills in understanding the needs of others in her social environment. In this specific case, did she ask you what your needs were in having the electric blankets? If she did, did her emotions drive her to override your answer with "looked at us in discuss (disgust? or "and discuss") and uttered an irrationality inappropriate to your needs: old fashioned overriding your personal needs for the warmth and welfare?

2. In PSED, how would she feel emotionally, now at 25 years, if she could imagine herself at 50+ years of age, should similar words were said then? This is because her modern things could and likely become old-fashioned then.

If you agree the above makes sense and reasonining for you. Then, consider how good relationship is between you and your sibling in this context of frequent conversation in the same vein (category as I named in above).

Lastly, regarding your question "we are ‘ we are only on our 50s ‘ who else still uses electric blankets in the winter ."

In my case, I have full gas central heating on 24/7 in the south to 20+ deg C. We have new electric blankets on standby to use, but, so far, temperature has been a few degrees above zero outdoors and our gas boiler is coping. Additionally, we have moveable electric radiators on standby. (Which were exceeedingly handy when our gas was cut off for several days in December.) My reasoning in having them is due to reasons in UEPL point 2.

And, if you google, you will find easily figures like 10 millions of electric blankets in use. An electric blanket is not a fashion item, BTW. It is a utility item, it is a blanket (in use for thousands of years) with an extra feature.
Edited by: "splender" 29th Feb
Me and my husband love our electric blanket and we're both 30. Wouldn't be without it in the winter. Had one since I was a little girl and bought myself one as soon as I went to uni.
i do think electric blankets are old fashioned. i had one when i was a kid but i rarely used it. like the old hot water bottle that my aunt used to have. i didn't know people still used electric blankets, lol
splender29/02/2020 10:56

You said, "When me and wife was talking about turning our electric blanket …You said, "When me and wife was talking about turning our electric blanket on before we get in bed our 25 year old daughter looked at us in discuss (disgust? or "and discuss") and said how old fashioned"If your comment had its origin in jest and casuality from your daughter, please do not read on.If your comment was made due to you and wife taking her words seriously and felt unease, then read on.Your comment's subject matter belongs to issues belonging to a category of Socio-education in a sub-category of "UEPL (UEPL (Understanding of Everyday Practical Living)" & PSED (Personal, social, Emotional Development).In UEPL:-1. In the cycle of life, young becomes old, the clock ticks, your daughter (in common with many who have negative comments about the old and aged, esp. on social networks) may not realise that she could become old fashioned herself. Therefore, is her issue, her lack of UEPL (young (fashioned) grows old (fashioned)), or is it lack of skills in PSED, do know that she could become old fashioned but has a P, S, or D issue with you? 2. We should know it is common sense to use an item as close to hand, or as close as possible. Additionally, there is a notion of convenience, moreover, some items show physical properties that their use close by maximises the benefits. In this case, she should know an electric blanket gives out heat. Therefore, the benefit of heat is maximised. She needs to consider and include these aspects of convenience, efficiency and immediate benefits to any user in common understanding of everyday living in Britain. Critically, since the resource (heat) is closest, therefore, the cost in minimised as it heats you up first before the heat goes elsewhere. This is really basic education in the elementary understanding of heat.In P S E D:-1. One point is already mentioned above, another is, as a daughter or any stranger, it is a social norm for a 25 year old to use daily, her personal skills in understanding the needs of others in her social environment. In this specific case, did she ask you what your needs were in having the electric blankets? If she did, did her emotions drive her to override your answer with "looked at us in discuss (disgust? or "and discuss") and uttered an irrationality inappropriate to your needs: old fashioned overriding your personal needs for the warmth and welfare?2. In PSED, how would she feel emotionally, now at 25 years, if she could imagine herself at 50+ years of age, should similar words were said then? This is because her modern things could and likely become old-fashioned then.If you agree the above makes sense and reasonining for you. Then, consider how good relationship is between you and your sibling in this context of frequent conversation in the same vein (category as I named in above).Lastly, regarding your question "we are ‘ we are only on our 50s ‘ who else still uses electric blankets in the winter ."In my case, I have full gas central heating on 24/7 in the south to 20+ deg C. We have new electric blankets on standby to use, but, so far, temperature has been a few degrees above zero outdoors and our gas boiler is coping. Additionally, we have moveable electric radiators on standby. (Which were exceeedingly handy when our gas was cut off for several days in December.) My reasoning in having them is due to reasons in UEPL point 2.And, if you google, you will find easily figures like 10 millions of electric blankets in use. An electric blanket is not a fashion item, BTW. It is a utility item, it is a blanket (in use for thousands of years) with an extra feature.

Yawn
My wife and I are both 46 and have dual controls and fully covers the bottom sheet so no cold feet. We love it!
Many a bed wetter wouldn’t recommend an electric blanket
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants