Electric Car buying advice

Posted 25th Apr
Hello

I am thinking of buying a fully electric car but dont know the pros vs cons.
What are the pitfalls of investing on electric cars (if any)?
anyone that can point me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Car size im looking for is a small runner for short distances, hatchback or smaller.
Are there any schemes available to people buying electric cars?
What budget should be set for a basic model?
Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
I wanted a leaf but found out I couldn’t find any local charging ports 😞 would of saved me a load considering I drive 66 miles a day. Still on list one day to go electric
Small hatchback?

New Vauxhall Corsa E
Government grant -£3000 (gov.uk/plu…nts)

Still looking at around 27K+ (basic model) - remember, electric is still a "new" thing by general 'consumer' standards.
I'm also looking at going fully electric, mainly due to it being a company car and the BIK advantages over a diesel or petrol car.

Im looking at the Peugeot e2008, which looks quite good, they do a smaller hatchback version the e208.

But again no electric car is going to be cheap, unless you can make sure that your journeys are within the limits so you save on fuel compared to an petrol car.

Got to make sure you have somewhere to charge it - if you live in a top floor flat may not be any good unless you can get a charger downstairs.
Biggest hurdle I see is price.
Next Charging, If you have a house you can get a charging port fitted and opt for a smart meter tariff that includes cheap charging between 12 at night and 4am about 5p per kwhr.
Next is charging while out and about.
You will need to sign up to 5 or more apps to cover the charging stations and the be ripped off by higher kwhr charges and a fee in some cases to charge on top.

Tariff info not sure if its upto date.

zap-map.com/cha…fs/
Edited by: "bigwheels" 25th Apr
ndyanem25/04/2020 11:41

I wanted a leaf but found out I couldn’t find any local charging ports & …I wanted a leaf but found out I couldn’t find any local charging ports 😞 would of saved me a load considering I drive 66 miles a day. Still on list one day to go electric

I was the same when I found out how cheap the leaf is and then it turns out that it has a range of something like 90 miles? It seems pretty standard when looking at all the smaller ones and it put me off.

There are local ports here but our home has no drive so home charging isn't happening and I can't go out every night to charge it (it would need it with such rubbish range)
EV are perfect for local/short distance commuting/shopping/general use.
Purchase costs are higher but running costs are far lower and depreciation once past the initial cliff is very low because the batteries/inverters/motors all have demand for other uses.

We have owned 2 leafs and done a total of nearly 60k miles in them over 5 years. We get 3.8-4 miles per kwh (costing 12p or so) so about 3p/mile. Consider a diesel doing over 40mpg - about 9miles/litre which is currently 11-12p/mile That in itself saves us over £1000/year against the diesel it replaced. Servicing costs are lower as well.

Battery tech has come on hugely. I'd avoid gen1 leafs built in japan (electric parking brake/beige inside) because their batteries aren't great. Gen2 leafs (sunderland built) much better batteries.
Avoid zoes and leafs with battery rental - cheaper to buy but running costs much higher and not as easy as it should be to get the warranty honoured.

Things that matter - charging technology and speed. You'd want chademo or ccs or 3phase ac compatibility if you intend to charge on long journeys.
Access to chargers. Most owners charge overnight at home. If you can't then there are all sorts of issues that vary depending on where you live.

Range varies with temperature, speed (falls off badly at motorway speeds) and wet weather.

Cheapest entry point would be a used imiev/czero/ion - available from about £4k. gen2 leaf around £7k or £8k (avoid visia models)

edit schemes to assist with purchase are available in scotland.
Edited by: "mas99" 25th Apr
Its such a shame they make nearly all electric cars fugly as *beep*
murtgurge25/04/2020 12:36

I was the same when I found out how cheap the leaf is and then it turns …I was the same when I found out how cheap the leaf is and then it turns out that it has a range of something like 90 miles? It seems pretty standard when looking at all the smaller ones and it put me off.There are local ports here but our home has no drive so home charging isn't happening and I can't go out every night to charge it (it would need it with such rubbish range)

Same no driveway only street parking. Morrisons by me do electric charging but at slow speed so won’t be worth it. Went for a diesel focus in the end. Put £40 in every 7 runs or so, perfect value for money
murtgurge25/04/2020 12:36

I was the same when I found out how cheap the leaf is and then it turns …I was the same when I found out how cheap the leaf is and then it turns out that it has a range of something like 90 miles? It seems pretty standard when looking at all the smaller ones and it put me off.There are local ports here but our home has no drive so home charging isn't happening and I can't go out every night to charge it (it would need it with such rubbish range)

Would not get a car with only a 90 miles range on a daily 66 miles commute
Was looking to do the same last year but fact is the range just isn’t there yet(unless you have £50k for a Tesla), it’s still in the “early adopter” phase, until the true 200-300 mile range options arrive likely 2024/25 then they are pointless for most. Better to get a nice euro 6 diesel doing 50/55 possible 60 mpg until that time, that’s was my conclusion anyway.
Life is anxious enough without range anxiety!
Ordered my first EV, it wasn’t cheap and I didn’t go for something low-end as you were looking for so I can’t comment on the best model for you. However, I don’t have a driveway and although it was difficult and took some persistence I was able to get the council to look into placing a charger within my area and they’re now in the process of paperwork to install these. Most of the funding is aimed towards homes with a driveway but there’s national funding that councils can claim for installation of charging points on the street. They submit an application, if successful they fund the charger and claim the majority of costs back.

In terms of buying an EV the government grant currently stands at £3000, this was £3,500 prior to Mar 11’s budget. This will be valid for any vehicle under £50,000 of which Corsa-e, E-Golf, Nissan Leaf etc would all fall under.

As others have mentioned the cost per mile is relatively low and I’ve turned to EV due to the terrible MPG I was getting sat idle in traffic, even with stop-start functionality I was averaging 26MPG on a vehicle that maintains around 45-50MPG without traffic. Depending on the distances you travel and the availability of chargers they seem to be the key disadvantages. Hopefully not for much longer.
matthewemmer25/04/2020 21:25

Ordered my first EV, it wasn’t cheap and I didn’t go for something low-end …Ordered my first EV, it wasn’t cheap and I didn’t go for something low-end as you were looking for so I can’t comment on the best model for you. However, I don’t have a driveway and although it was difficult and took some persistence I was able to get the council to look into placing a charger within my area and they’re now in the process of paperwork to install these. Most of the funding is aimed towards homes with a driveway but there’s national funding that councils can claim for installation of charging points on the street. They submit an application, if successful they fund the charger and claim the majority of costs back. In terms of buying an EV the government grant currently stands at £3000, this was £3,500 prior to Mar 11’s budget. This will be valid for any vehicle under £50,000 of which Corsa-e, E-Golf, Nissan Leaf etc would all fall under. As others have mentioned the cost per mile is relatively low and I’ve turned to EV due to the terrible MPG I was getting sat idle in traffic, even with stop-start functionality I was averaging 26MPG on a vehicle that maintains around 45-50MPG without traffic. Depending on the distances you travel and the availability of chargers they seem to be the key disadvantages. Hopefully not for much longer.

I tried council for my area and the area of my work and couldn’t get anywhere. Hopefully one day electric cars will have proper long range and councils will install appropriate charging stations. As I average 60mpg that will do me for now
ndyanem25/04/2020 22:12

I tried council for my area and the area of my work and couldn’t get a …I tried council for my area and the area of my work and couldn’t get anywhere. Hopefully one day electric cars will have proper long range and councils will install appropriate charging stations. As I average 60mpg that will do me for now

Trust me I tried mine and the surrounding ones for about two months, to the point I even screenshotted the local areas and marked on a house by house basis who had a driveway and who didn’t using google maps, until it was clear that 90% didn’t have any driveway so would have the same issue. Also used the fact they’re aiming to have these clean air schemes locally to my favour, they were very much reluctant to help but considering I did most of the leg work for them eventually they contacted me again and said they’d do it. They have to submit evidence for funding the schemes and the requirements ask for a survey to justify the installation.

I’m hoping for more efficient batteries in the long run and more readily available faster chargers. Most of the batteries seem to allow charging up to 150Kw/h but the amount of chargers capable of delivering that in the country is definitely in the 1-2%.
matthewemmer25/04/2020 22:32

Trust me I tried mine and the surrounding ones for about two months, to …Trust me I tried mine and the surrounding ones for about two months, to the point I even screenshotted the local areas and marked on a house by house basis who had a driveway and who didn’t using google maps, until it was clear that 90% didn’t have any driveway so would have the same issue. Also used the fact they’re aiming to have these clean air schemes locally to my favour, they were very much reluctant to help but considering I did most of the leg work for them eventually they contacted me again and said they’d do it. They have to submit evidence for funding the schemes and the requirements ask for a survey to justify the installation.I’m hoping for more efficient batteries in the long run and more readily available faster chargers. Most of the batteries seem to allow charging up to 150Kw/h but the amount of chargers capable of delivering that in the country is definitely in the 1-2%.

Nah I’ll leave it. At the end of the day battery cars aren’t up to long distance commutes at the moment. Plus one day the councils will be forced to install. Until then diesel is my friend
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions