Electric Car HELP Please

Found 16th Jun
hi guys, after my council put free charging point opposite of my flat , I have decided to buy electric car or hybrid car. only problem I haven't got a clue where to look or where to start.
I want to pay on monthly plan. I cant afford to buy cash. I am not bothered about the model or make, I want as cheap as possible.
tried auto trader etc but no luck.
Where can i find the car deals any website rerecorded ?

Thanks in Advance
Community Updates
AskHome & Garden
41 Comments
You can get the first gen leaf from a very low price. Just to confuse you even more the batteries are not lays bought outright from the original owner and to replace ones that have been bought are getting a bit old and might need replacing and that ain’t cheap. What is your budget.
Also the Renault Zoe is as cheap as chips.
Edited by: "fergys" 16th Jun
Try autotrader.

autotrader.co.uk/

Go into advanced search and select electric or hybrid as you want.
Edited by: "radium" 16th Jun
Unless its a Hybrid your spend more time charging it then driving it.

A friend of mine bought Electric only for his trips into London, spent an alfull lot of time trying to find a Free Charging Bay and has had to be recovered god knows how many times due to running out of juice.
Watch fridays gadget show. Plug in hybrids are expensive.
zirk16 m ago

Unless its a Hybrid your spend more time charging it then driving it.A …Unless its a Hybrid your spend more time charging it then driving it.A friend of mine bought Electric only for his trips into London, spent an alfull lot of time trying to find a Free Charging Bay and has had to be recovered god knows how many times due to running out of juice.

Electric cars just aren’t there yet, hybrids still have relatively poor fuel economy in reality (ignore paper as it’s wrong) BUT they are getting better and in the next few years it might be worth getting one if buying new.
cmdr_elito2 m ago

Electric cars just aren’t there yet, hybrids still have relatively poor f …Electric cars just aren’t there yet, hybrids still have relatively poor fuel economy in reality (ignore paper as it’s wrong) BUT they are getting better and in the next few years it might be worth getting one if buying new.

maybe stupid question but whats the difference beetween hybrid electric ?
bilo4 m ago

maybe stupid question but whats the difference beetween hybrid electric ?

Electric means it’s only powered by electric, when it runs out of electric it’s dead until you charge it again.

Hybrid is a mix of electric and a petrol engine. When the batteries run flat the petrol engine takes over either to drive the car or charge the battery. This means you can keep going.

It’s also worth noting that:
You normally lease batteries for electric cars
They cost a lot more to have serviced
Very few places service electric vehicles at the moment
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 16th Jun
zirk24 m ago

Unless its a Hybrid your spend more time charging it then driving it.A …Unless its a Hybrid your spend more time charging it then driving it.A friend of mine bought Electric only for his trips into London, spent an alfull lot of time trying to find a Free Charging Bay and has had to be recovered god knows how many times due to running out of juice.

Not an issue if you have your own charging point though.
cmdr_elito12 m ago

Electric means it’s only powered by electric, when it runs out of electric …Electric means it’s only powered by electric, when it runs out of electric it’s dead until you charge it again.Hybrid is a mix of electric and a petrol engine. When the batteries run flat the petrol engine takes over either to drive the car or charge the battery. This means you can keep going.It’s also worth noting that:You normally lease batteries for electric carsThey cost a lot more to have serviced Very few places service electric vehicles at the moment

exactly this is something new i have discovered about battery lease , is there any website i can search all included ?
EndlessWaves16 m ago

Not an issue if you have your own charging point though.

Having your Own Charging Point at Home isnt really a Bonus, its a Must, assuming no one has parked in your way, problem comes at the other end, where ever you going you can never guarantee there is going to be a Bay available, this is where my friend kept getting caught out and having to kept being recovered, not to mention any Parking Fines you potentially face when ever you crap out somewhere where theres no Parking or Stopping
bilo12 m ago

exactly this is something new i have discovered about battery lease , is …exactly this is something new i have discovered about battery lease , is there any website i can search all included ?

What's your budget then? You're Looking at a fee of least £200 a month minimum for a lease over 36 months for an electric car plus an initial payment of £2000
cmdr_elito35 m ago

Electric means it’s only powered by electric, when it runs out of electric …Electric means it’s only powered by electric, when it runs out of electric it’s dead until you charge it again.Hybrid is a mix of electric and a petrol engine. When the batteries run flat the petrol engine takes over either to drive the car or charge the battery. This means you can keep going.It’s also worth noting that:You normally lease batteries for electric carsThey cost a lot more to have serviced Very few places service electric vehicles at the moment

Oh dear...

Battery Lease isn't that common other than on Zoes. Early Leafs (pre 2013) are all battery owned and most post 2013 are too.
Servicing is cheaper than ICE cars - no oil/coolant, brakes last forever because battery regen slows the car without needing brakes. Servicing is basically looking at it. No problem even with our local back street place. Main dealer service on ours has been £99 a year (and frankly they're taking the mick even charging that).

I bought a 2nd hand leaf 3 years ago. For our use it saves us £1500/year in fuel which pays for depreciation. We get around 4miles/kWh and pay around 12p/kWh.

They are great for local journeys, I wouldn't buy one if there was any need to do long distance stuff.
Early leafs do suffer from battery degradation (pre 2013) but that means they are very cheap to buy. I know of several that have sold for around £4k Newer cars seem to be much better - ther are taxi firms with well over 100,000 miles on gen2 leafs.

They arent for everyone yet, but if your usage pattern fits then they are a sound sensible buy. Anyone who keeps getting stranded is an idiot.

Best place to research would be the speakev forum.

If you want cheap then you're probably looking at a gen1 leaf or an imiev/cZero
Edited by: "mas99" 16th Jun
mas999 m ago

Oh dear...Battery Lease isn't that common other than on Zoes. Early …Oh dear...Battery Lease isn't that common other than on Zoes. Early Leafs (pre 2013) are all battery owned and most post 2013 are too.Servicing is cheaper than ICE cars - no oil/coolant, brakes last forever because battery regen slows the car without needing brakes. Servicing is basically looking at it. No problem even with our local back street place. Main dealer service on ours has been £99 a year (and frankly they're taking the mick even charging that).I bought a 2nd hand leaf 3 years ago. For our use it saves us £1500/year in fuel which pays for depreciation. We get around 4miles/kWh and pay around 12p/kWh.They are great for local journeys, I wouldn't buy one if there was any need to do long distance stuff.Early leafs do suffer from battery degradation (pre 2013) but that means they are very cheap to buy. I know of several that have sold for around £4k Newer cars seem to be much better - ther are taxi firms with well over 100,000 miles on gen2 leafs.They arent for everyone yet, but if your usage pattern fits then they are a sound sensible buy. Anyone who keeps getting stranded is an idiot.Best place to research would be the speakev forum.If you want cheap then you're probably looking at a gen1 leaf or an imiev/cZero

Ok well looks like the costs of servicing them have fallen a bit since I last looked. Cost of battery replacement after 8 years is still pretty hefty though. Should fall too in time hopefully.
The thing I don't get about the electric car brigade is that people say they don't pollute. Of course they pollute, just not right in front of you. Electricity comes from power stations and they tend to burn fossil fuels or run off nuclear energy. Acid rain, the greenhouse effect, five mile island, chernobyl, fukushima: all pollutants and some far more fatal than the internal combustion engine. And the batteries? Nowt is clean, bring back the penny farthing.
cmdr_elito5 m ago

Ok well looks like the costs of servicing them have fallen a bit since I …Ok well looks like the costs of servicing them have fallen a bit since I last looked. Cost of battery replacement after 8 years is still pretty hefty though. Should fall too in time hopefully.

Battery replacement panic is overdone. The worst I've heard of (in the UK) would be cars with around 70% battery left giving real world range of 50 miles - most of the horror stories are from the hot parts of the USA. Leafs dont have active battery temperature management and this can cause problems in veyr hot conditions.
psychobitchfromhell3 m ago

The thing I don't get about the electric car brigade is that people say …The thing I don't get about the electric car brigade is that people say they don't pollute. Of course they pollute, just not right in front of you. Electricity comes from power stations and they tend to burn fossil fuels or run off nuclear energy. Acid rain, the greenhouse effect, five mile island, chernobyl, fukushima: all pollutants and some far more fatal than the internal combustion engine. And the batteries? Nowt is clean, bring back the penny farthing.

Well the total pollution (including car production and end life disposal) is far less with an EV than an ICE even where the leccy is produced by fossil fuels.
Localised pollution also matters - air quality in cities for example.
psychobitchfromhell20 m ago

The thing I don't get about the electric car brigade is that people say …The thing I don't get about the electric car brigade is that people say they don't pollute. Of course they pollute, just not right in front of you. Electricity comes from power stations and they tend to burn fossil fuels or run off nuclear energy. Acid rain, the greenhouse effect, five mile island, chernobyl, fukushima: all pollutants and some far more fatal than the internal combustion engine. And the batteries? Nowt is clean, bring back the penny farthing.

agreed we are not their yet but the rich people in this life are running tesla power walls and solar and in some cases wind turbines to charge the power wall so in that case yes they are nearly 100% self sufficent and only time will reduce it for the masses.
I live in a city. at my previous house I was considering electric as a replacement as I believe British gas would put in a charging point for free at that time And I had solar panels on the roof so running costs would have been minimal. At the time we were a two car family and my car was basically used for my 30 mile daily commute. For longer journeys we used my husband's old toyota rav4 diesel. There were a lot of said journeys as we were both hundreds of miles from family. Nowadays i live in a different house and the government has withdrawn lots of the incentives to generate your own solar power so solar panels are too expensive. My husband died so having two cars was just ridiculous. I've compromised on a mid sized car that can fulfil all my requirements. Unfortunately electric can't do that for me yet.
mas9921 m ago

Well the total pollution (including car production and end life disposal) …Well the total pollution (including car production and end life disposal) is far less with an EV than an ICE even where the leccy is produced by fossil fuels.Localised pollution also matters - air quality in cities for example.

mas9926 m ago

Battery replacement panic is overdone. The worst I've heard of (in the …Battery replacement panic is overdone. The worst I've heard of (in the UK) would be cars with around 70% battery left giving real world range of 50 miles - most of the horror stories are from the hot parts of the USA. Leafs dont have active battery temperature management and this can cause problems in veyr hot conditions.

You say that but 50 real world miles would be useless to me, I do 100 miles a day and there’s no charging points in the area my car is during the day, I also fortnightly have a 130 mile round commute and often drive 500 mile round trip to see family.

Electric cars are a way off for people with usage similar to mine, but they will get there one day. Hybrids are coming on leaps and bounds and once the fuel economy is on par with my diesel car I will go for it.
fergys22 m ago

agreed we are not their yet but the rich people in this life are running …agreed we are not their yet but the rich people in this life are running tesla power walls and solar and in some cases wind turbines to charge the power wall so in that case yes they are nearly 100% self sufficent and only time will reduce it for the masses.

we will get there. We have to get there. I'm hopeful for hydrogen. Electric cars are a big step forward for sure, but until the electricity used to run them on is carbon neutral, they do still pollute and damage the environment.
im fortunate i travel about 7 miles per day to my work and back and i own a BMW 330E which has a small battery range of 10- 15 miles.i can charge it up at work and in the 6 months iv'e owned it i have only been the petrol station once.
this is my little contribution to going greener in a few years i would like to own a tesla and charge it via solar power and a power wall of course.not much copmpetition out there and the moment.
fergys10 m ago

im fortunate i travel about 7 miles per day to my work and back and i own …im fortunate i travel about 7 miles per day to my work and back and i own a BMW 330E which has a small battery range of 10- 15 miles.i can charge it up at work and in the 6 months iv'e owned it i have only been the petrol station once.this is my little contribution to going greener in a few years i would like to own a tesla and charge it via solar power and a power wall of course.not much copmpetition out there and the moment.

is it hybrid?
34037475-l4i4M.jpgits a PHEV 2.0 litre engine and a small battery pack good enough for 10 - 15 miles weather depending
fergys8 m ago

[Image] its a PHEV 2.0 litre engine and a small battery pack good enough …[Image] its a PHEV 2.0 litre engine and a small battery pack good enough for 10 - 15 miles weather depending

looks beautiful mate
it is thanks but got my heart set on a tesla P100D still a big kid at heart..........
To plug in, a hybrid has to be PHEV (Plugin Hybrid Electric Vehicle) - the Prius, for instance is just hybrid, though I believe there are PHEV conversions.

I think there are actually 4 categories:
1. Electric
2. Extended range electric (carries an additional motor generator that does not operate the drive train)
3. Plug in Hybrid (Hybrid that can have the battery charged at a point to achieve more electric operation)
4. Hybrid - Petrol electric hybrid that mixes electric only, petrol only and petrol electric boost according to conditions

Only a straight electric qualifies for the zero band and no congestion charge
matth99994 h, 59 m ago

To plug in, a hybrid has to be PHEV (Plugin Hybrid Electric Vehicle) - the …To plug in, a hybrid has to be PHEV (Plugin Hybrid Electric Vehicle) - the Prius, for instance is just hybrid, though I believe there are PHEV conversions.I think there are actually 4 categories:1. Electric2. Extended range electric (carries an additional motor generator that does not operate the drive train)3. Plug in Hybrid (Hybrid that can have the battery charged at a point to achieve more electric operation)4. Hybrid - Petrol electric hybrid that mixes electric only, petrol only and petrol electric boost according to conditionsOnly a straight electric qualifies for the zero band and no congestion charge

The Prius offers a dedicated plug in model. It’s not a conversion
What's your budget then? You're Looking at a fee of least £200 a month minimum for a lease over 36 months for an electric car plus an initial payment of £2000
cmdr_elito14 h, 29 m ago

You say that but 50 real world miles would be useless to me, I do 100 …You say that but 50 real world miles would be useless to me, I do 100 miles a day and there’s no charging points in the area my car is during the day, I also fortnightly have a 130 mile round commute and often drive 500 mile round trip to see family.Electric cars are a way off for people with usage similar to mine, but they will get there one day. Hybrids are coming on leaps and bounds and once the fuel economy is on par with my diesel car I will go for it.

50 real world miles would be useless to me too. But I was giving info on a worst case/cheapest possible old used buy. There are plenty of new EVs that would deal with your use case. The 30 and 40kWh leafs, 40kWh zoe, kia soul, hyundai ioniq, jaguar, etc,etc
psychobitchfromhell14 h, 29 m ago

we will get there. We have to get there. I'm hopeful for hydrogen. …we will get there. We have to get there. I'm hopeful for hydrogen. Electric cars are a big step forward for sure, but until the electricity used to run them on is carbon neutral, they do still pollute and damage the environment.

Hydrogen is a non-starter. The difficulties of putting in a workable infrastructure are immense - hydrogen is very difficult to store and transport due to safety issues - also remember that hydrogen burns with an invisible flame. It also has quite significant energy requirements to produce it.
The only use that might be viable would be as energy storage in a fuel cell type system, but Im really not convinced. There is a us company planing to use fuel cells in trucks but Ive not seen any real world results from them yet.
The Mirai, riversimple etc are interesting technical exerises but they dont look as if they can actually manage mainstream production and use. battery electric cars are here and in use and will be well established before H2 gets anywhere.
fergys14 h, 23 m ago

im fortunate i travel about 7 miles per day to my work and back and i own …im fortunate i travel about 7 miles per day to my work and back and i own a BMW 330E which has a small battery range of 10- 15 miles.i can charge it up at work and in the 6 months iv'e owned it i have only been the petrol station once.this is my little contribution to going greener in a few years i would like to own a tesla and charge it via solar power and a power wall of course.not much copmpetition out there and the moment.

Perhaps surprisingly I hate these They only exist to game the BIK system and while some people argue that they introduce people to electric power I know many users who have never charged them and dont actually care - its all about the tax.
mas9914 m ago

50 real world miles would be useless to me too. But I was giving info on …50 real world miles would be useless to me too. But I was giving info on a worst case/cheapest possible old used buy. There are plenty of new EVs that would deal with your use case. The 30 and 40kWh leafs, 40kWh zoe, kia soul, hyundai ioniq, jaguar, etc,etc

I’ve not seen any yet that can do 500 real world miles on one charge. The difficultly is it is very hilly where I do my normal commute so I would need more like 150 miles of real world miles to ensure it didn’t run out of juice and that would need to operate until EOL of the battery.

As I said the technology shows promise and once wireless charging is perfected range will be less of a problem as it could be installed to charge as you drive on motorways or a roads.
cmdr_elito6 m ago

I’ve not seen any yet that can do 500 real world miles on one charge. The d …I’ve not seen any yet that can do 500 real world miles on one charge. The difficultly is it is very hilly where I do my normal commute so I would need more like 150 miles of real world miles to ensure it didn’t run out of juice and that would need to operate until EOL of the battery. As I said the technology shows promise and once wireless charging is perfected range will be less of a problem as it could be installed to charge as you drive on motorways or a roads.

Who does a 500 mile journey without stopping?

I think real world 250 miles will meet almost all peoples needs. Current battery tech soesnt suffer much drop off. Ours is now on 5years old, 40,000 miles and shows over 95%.
Wireless charging on roads won't happen. Wireless charging is hugely inefficient and implementing it on roads other than as a gimick is not practical.
mas9919 m ago

Who does a 500 mile journey without stopping?I think real world 250 miles …Who does a 500 mile journey without stopping?I think real world 250 miles will meet almost all peoples needs. Current battery tech soesnt suffer much drop off. Ours is now on 5years old, 40,000 miles and shows over 95%. Wireless charging on roads won't happen. Wireless charging is hugely inefficient and implementing it on roads other than as a gimick is not practical.

Stopping for 5-10 mins for a coffee and to relieve oneself isn’t the same as having to stop for 2 hours to charge a battery to 80%. Yes I like many do these types of trips as I said the technology for me just isn’t there yet, it might meet some peoples requirements already. Those who stay local.
mas9919 m ago

Who does a 500 mile journey without stopping?I think real world 250 miles …Who does a 500 mile journey without stopping?I think real world 250 miles will meet almost all peoples needs. Current battery tech soesnt suffer much drop off. Ours is now on 5years old, 40,000 miles and shows over 95%. Wireless charging on roads won't happen. Wireless charging is hugely inefficient and implementing it on roads other than as a gimick is not practical.

Sorry but I disagree. The same was said about lighting roads originally but what do you know we do have a lot of lit roads. It isn’t practical right now but there’s nothing to say that the technology won’t be perfected. Just look at solar panels, they have come along way in a relatively short space of time and continue to improve.
chocci13 h, 42 m ago

What's your budget then? You're Looking at a fee of least £200 a month …What's your budget then? You're Looking at a fee of least £200 a month minimum for a lease over 36 months for an electric car plus an initial payment of £2000

I was thinking £150 mark with 1500 deposit
chocci13 h, 46 m ago

What's your budget then? You're Looking at a fee of least £200 a month …What's your budget then? You're Looking at a fee of least £200 a month minimum for a lease over 36 months for an electric car plus an initial payment of £2000

also any chance for me a link for cheapest option?
psychobitchfromhell16th Jun

gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

Don't know if you're familiar with this site, it gives a view on the current (and historic) status of the uk energy supply network.

Longer term we do seem to be seeing progress with nuclear fission (which should be clean), even if people have been saying this for at least 50 years.
mas996 m ago

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/Don't know if you're familiar with this …http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/Don't know if you're familiar with this site, it gives a view on the current (and historic) status of the uk energy supply network. Longer term we do seem to be seeing progress with nuclear fission (which should be clean), even if people have been saying this for at least 50 years.

thanks for that. Really interesting. I recently switched suppliers to bulb who say all their electricity comes from renewable sources. Only a small thing but a start
psychobitchfromhell2 m ago

thanks for that. Really interesting. I recently switched suppliers to bulb …thanks for that. Really interesting. I recently switched suppliers to bulb who say all their electricity comes from renewable sources. Only a small thing but a start

It is interesting to have a look at from time to time - he has also introduced the same thing but for Fench data (little france icon top left). They are almost all nuclear and it also gives a little insight into the rest of europe as it shows import/export from F to B/NL/D/I
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants