Groups

Electric Fire advice please!

I am thinking about buying a wall hung electric fire for my lounge as they seem to be
    a) cheaper than gas fires to buy
    b) no fitting costs
    - I reckon that the cost of a gas fire over an electric fire is almost double by the time you have had it fitted properly and that for that £300+ you could probably get a good whack of electricity to run the electric fires. I have managed to find out how to calculate electricity usage but am finding it difficult to find a fire that gives the input requirement information so I can't check it out for certain. I also don't know how much it costs to run a gas fire and I need all of this information to make a good, informed decision.
    Anyone give me any advice on this - I know we have experts in all sorts of things on HUKD and am hoping to pick your brains! Thanks!

5 Comments

look what i have just been discussing in work with me mate

naturalheating.co.uk/

Cost efficient to run - cast iron stoves and woodburners are a popular choice with ever increasing oil and gas prices (gas having now risen over 300% in cost since 2002. Wood from a renewable energy source and recylcled wood fuel are prime choices for low cost burning - but multi-fuel stoves are also capeable of burning coal, smokeless fuel, peat and turf.

We just got rid of our gas fire for an electric wall hung fire. We did incur fitting costs because the old gas had to be cut off/made safe and the old fire and surround removed and the hole blocked in (the wall hung fire sits further up the wall). We also chose to get the new fire inset(flush) against the wall otherwise it would have stuck out quite a bit. However it was still much cheaper than replacing with a new gas fire and we are pleased with it. No more 'corgi' inspections and the price of gas seems to be rocketing. Must admit I like the look of those stove thingys but wouldnt suit our house!

Original Poster

Thanks for thiese, I will definitely look at the web site. We would have the same problem with the stove style heaters, our house is not really big enough for them to sit nicely in a room.

Flossiedoll;2640427

Thanks for thiese, I will definitely look at the web site. We would have … Thanks for thiese, I will definitely look at the web site. We would have the same problem with the stove style heaters, our house is not really big enough for them to sit nicely in a room.

It will on that website as they are for small areas some ofg them:thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17876400
      2. SNES Classic launches 29th September 2017 - Check for stock and pre-order i…4671412
      3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047174
      4. Whoops SNP...Grenfell style cladding all over Glasgow1022

See more discussions