Groups
    EXPIRED

ELECTRIC GUITAR FOR 6 YEAR OLD.

Hi my six year old is like his dad Tom petty mad and as a result has decided he wants to learn the electric guitar.. Was wondering if any guitarists on here would be able to pass on there knowledge and suggest the best guitar for him to start with. Ie make and model and also if possible suggest the best place to purchase it from. Thanking you all in advance.. Richard

10 Comments

Get a cheapo starter kit first to see if he's really interested. A 6 YO will be change their mind like the wind.

Original Poster

Cheers.will do wife saw one with 3 quater guitar and amp for £99'is this any good ?

Various places online to buy kit. There are specifically 1/2 size guitars for the little ones.

The best thing you can do for him is find a great teacher. Preferably one that uses the Rock School guitar grades.

I bought a cheap 3/4 guitar for my teenage daughter (she is quite a small lass) but to be honest it went out of tune ridiculously quickly making it little more than a novelty toy which we very quickly sold on. In the end I bought her a Yamaha Pacifica and amp second hand (brilliant deal I got) than progressed to a very decent little Dean Vendetta which she still has. She now uses a Krait Stratocaster. All second hand.

Dependant on the size of your son, he may be able to get away with a normal guitar but with a shorter scale, not quite 3/4 size but a bit easier to handle than a full size. If nothing else, pop into a guitar shop and ask some advice and let him try one or two.
    Edited by: "scrumpypaul" 5th Dec 2014

For a 6 year old you need to think about the weight of the guitar as well

stockds

For a 6 year old you need to think about the weight of the guitar as well

Agreed - looking at the examples I gave, the Dean is by far the lightest of the three.

Is his dad Tom Petty or am I reading that incorrectly? Just ask him for a guitar he has loads

Original Poster

W

AndrewRoss

Is his dad Tom Petty or am I reading that incorrectly? Just ask him for a … Is his dad Tom Petty or am I reading that incorrectly? Just ask him for a guitar he has loads

wish I was the great man lol.

Original Poster

scrumpypaul

I bought a cheap 3/4 guitar for my teenage daughter (she is quite a small … I bought a cheap 3/4 guitar for my teenage daughter (she is quite a small lass) but to be honest it went out of tune ridiculously quickly making it little more than a novelty toy which we very quickly sold on. In the end I bought her a Yamaha Pacifica and amp second hand (brilliant deal I got) than progressed to a very decent little Dean Vendetta which she still has. She now uses a Krait Stratocaster. All second hand.Dependant on the size of your son, he may be able to get away with a normal guitar but with a shorter scale, not quite 3/4 size but a bit easier to handle than a full size. If nothing else, pop into a guitar shop and ask some advice and let him try one or two.

thanks for the good advice will take him to a music shop to try guitars. Then try and sort some quality tuition out for him.

Try a Jackson dinky. They can be got from GAK for £108 brand new, would make a very usable starter guitar.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. One for the mathmaticians2847
      2. One thing you've forgotten55
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767462
      4. I have 2 spare netflix slots and a spotify share.816

See more discussions