Electric ladies bike

Posted 21st May
I’m looking to purchase an ebike for my partner, problem is she has had a hip replacement and needs her knee’s done also .
So she unable to pedal much at all.
So I’m looking for a ebike that has a mode that doesn’t require pedalling. It also needs to be a step though frame
Can anyone recommend a suitable bike please ? So far I’ve only been able to find the ancheer bike that ticks the boxes are these any good ? .
Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

21 Comments
Quite simply you want her to have a bike with a throttle control for speed.

You won't get an off the shelf ebike with this feature. By law ebikes can only assist pedalling and not replace it. If even the action of ghost pedalling (pedalling in a low gear just to get the motor spinning) hurts or is not possible then you're going to have to either not pursue this further or custom build something.

The is also the possibility of modding an off the shelf ebike and adding a throttle but IMO you might as well just do a custom build for cheaper.

If you feel mechanically inclined to build an electric bike from a kit and a normal bike have a look on YouTube.

You need to be aware the bike would illegal, if you're comfortable with that for the sake of your partners quality of life then go for it.

Regarding the ancheer bike, it does tick the boxes but is very cheap. I think the range and usability would be poor. An escooter would be better than a ancheer bike.
Edited by: "mogsog" 21st May
I think what electric scooters are now legal? They may be more suited than an e-bike.
mogsog21/05/2020 22:53

Quite simply you want her to have a bike with a throttle control for …Quite simply you want her to have a bike with a throttle control for speed. You won't get an off the shelf ebike with this feature. By law ebikes can only assist pedalling and not replace it. If even the action of ghost pedalling (pedalling in a low gear just to get the motor spinning) hurts or is not possible then you're going to have to either not pursue this further or custom build something.The is also the possibility of modding an off the shelf ebike and adding a throttle but IMO you might as well just do a custom build for cheaper.If you feel mechanically inclined to build an electric bike from a kit and a normal bike have a look on YouTube.You need to be aware the bike would illegal, if you're comfortable with that for the sake of your partners quality of life then go for it.Regarding the ancheer bike, it does tick the boxes but is very cheap. I think the range and usability would be poor. An escooter would be better than a ancheer bike.

Many thanks, I will take a look on YouTube at custom builds .
mutley121/05/2020 23:43

I think what electric scooters are now legal? They may be more suited …I think what electric scooters are now legal? They may be more suited than an e-bike.

We hadn’t actually considers an electric scooter. We will have to take a look. Thanks
Just to note also that as soon as you modify the ebike ie to include a throttle it then becomes a motorised vehicle and needs taxing/insuring etc like a car it's not really worth it to be honest you'd be better getting a mobility scooter
chunk198522/05/2020 07:45

Just to note also that as soon as you modify the ebike ie to include a …Just to note also that as soon as you modify the ebike ie to include a throttle it then becomes a motorised vehicle and needs taxing/insuring etc like a car it's not really worth it to be honest you'd be better getting a mobility scooter

Yeah, that will go down well with OPs partner.
Robjet22/05/2020 07:11

We hadn’t actually considers an electric scooter. We will have to take a l …We hadn’t actually considers an electric scooter. We will have to take a look. Thanks

here is some info on the use of escooters. i haven't looked into it but i heard someone mentioned that it is going to be legal in another discussion, so you could read further into it

visordown.com/new…ght

i googled escooter and most are more appropriate to younger people as you have to stand on it for the whole journey so this may not suit your wife. however this one you sit on and looks decent enough, that is, it doesn't make you look like a plonker sitting on it

amazon.co.uk/Win…031
Robjet22/05/2020 07:06

Many thanks, I will take a look on YouTube at custom builds .

There's an interesting post quoting an email from the DfT regarding the legality of throttles on one-off home built e-bikes here:- pedelecs.co.uk/for…e-4

It would seem in the view of the Department for Transport once a one-off diy e-bike has been used on the road, it would subsequently still be legal if a throttle was added, providing it otherwise complies with the e-bike regulations. (250w motor max speed of 15.5mph - (16.1mph might be within the allowed margin of error))

This is apparently because a bicycle you convert yourself is exempt from type approval,whereas a manufactured e-bike would require type approval once a throttle was fitted.
Edited by: "melted" 22nd May
mutley122/05/2020 10:38

here is some info on the use of escooters. i haven't looked into it but i …here is some info on the use of escooters. i haven't looked into it but i heard someone mentioned that it is going to be legal in another discussion, so you could read further into ithttps://www.visordown.com/news/industry/government-e-scooter-scheme-gets-green-lighti googled escooter and most are more appropriate to younger people as you have to stand on it for the whole journey so this may not suit your wife. however this one you sit on and looks decent enough, that is, it doesn't make you look like a plonker sitting on it https://www.amazon.co.uk/Windgoo-Folding-Compact-Electric-Commuter/dp/B08767BLSZ?ref_=s9_apbd_omwf_hd_bw_b3uPQPP&pf_rd_r=6QTXH35VPQ9N20GSKPA6&pf_rd_p=46f8b4ce-5ba0-5a1e-8a36-b51b912a2e51&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-10&pf_rd_t=BROWSE&pf_rd_i=3581933031

The bottom vehicle you posted is neither road legal under current e-bike law, because it has no pedals, e-bikes MUST be pedal assisted, nor would become legal if the current electric scooter proposals are ever extended to cover privately owned E-scooters, because it has a seat.

Would be far more sensible to buy one with pedals on it, than something that is almost, but not quite an e-bike, and could not be made road legal.
Another possible option is a secondhand e-bike manufactured before 2016, when full throttles were still legal, some models have a vacant throttle connector on the controller, allowing the owner to add one.

5 year old lithium batteries will be loosing performance though, so don't pay too much.
One of the niches in the diverse world of bike design is handcycles/handbikes, where you propel the bike with your arms instead of your legs:

40836368-xOaIa.jpg
While I'm guessing racing models like that are totally inappropriate in this situation (not to mention expensive), there are more conventional ones such as this

40836368-wLMHc.jpg
mogsog22/05/2020 08:53

Yeah, that will go down well with OPs partner.

That would definitely not go down well
Thanks all .. much appreciated
melted22/05/2020 11:47

Another possible option is a secondhand e-bike manufactured before 2016, …Another possible option is a secondhand e-bike manufactured before 2016, when full throttles were still legal, some models have a vacant throttle connector on the controller, allowing the owner to add one.5 year old lithium batteries will be loosing performance though, so don't pay too much.

Good point regarding the older bikes. Like you said I think if I were OP I would do a sensible 250 / 500w front wheel custom build on a cheapish step-through frame. Add a throttle and tell the other half to go easy on it.

It's so close to being legal I highly doubt any police officer would give it a second look.
melted22/05/2020 11:15

The bottom vehicle you posted is neither road legal under current e-bike …The bottom vehicle you posted is neither road legal under current e-bike law, because it has no pedals, e-bikes MUST be pedal assisted, nor would become legal if the current electric scooter proposals are ever extended to cover privately owned E-scooters, because it has a seat. Would be far more sensible to buy one with pedals on it, than something that is almost, but not quite an e-bike, and could not be made road legal.

it would be strange not to allow it because it has a seat? i can't see why having a seat would make it less safe than one where you can only stand on it? i would have thought that sitting in a riding position is much safer than standing on a moving platform.
mutley122/05/2020 21:19

it would be strange not to allow it because it has a seat? i can't see …it would be strange not to allow it because it has a seat? i can't see why having a seat would make it less safe than one where you can only stand on it? i would have thought that sitting in a riding position is much safer than standing on a moving platform.

The proposals define an e-scooter a one person vehicle that is stood on, in fact it states with no provision for seating. It will also only be legal for rental scooters for the time being at least.

gov.uk/gov…als

By excluding a seat they prevent people applying the same regulations to an e-bike, which would allow for a throttle and potentially a 350 watt motor.

The tiny 12" wheels, the lack of proper spokes, and the compact size, probably wouldn't make that a good bike/scooter/thing(?) to ride on the road anyway.
melted22/05/2020 22:04

The proposals define an e-scooter a one person vehicle that is stood on, …The proposals define an e-scooter a one person vehicle that is stood on, in fact it states with no provision for seating. It will also only be legal for rental scooters for the time being at least.https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/legalising-rental-e-scooter-trials-defining-e-scooters-and-rules-for-their-use/legalising-rental-e-scooter-trialsBy excluding a seat they prevent people applying the same regulations to an e-bike, which would allow for a throttle and potentially a 350 watt motor.The tiny 12" wheels, the lack of proper spokes, and the compact size, probably wouldn't make that a good bike/scooter/thing(?) to ride on the road anyway.

seems very odd as i would feel safer on a scooter where i can sit in a riding position than one where i am standing on a thin platform. the new legislation allows for escooter to go on the road i believe, so i can't see how that can be any more comfortable than the scooter from amazon with a seat to sit on. so if i had to choose between the two, i would choose the one from amazon.
mutley122/05/2020 22:25

seems very odd as i would feel safer on a scooter where i can sit in a …seems very odd as i would feel safer on a scooter where i can sit in a riding position than one where i am standing on a thin platform. the new legislation allows for escooter to go on the road i believe, so i can't see how that can be any more comfortable than the scooter from amazon with a seat to sit on. so if i had to choose between the two, i would choose the one from amazon.

I can see some appeal to an e-scooter, as it would probably be small enough to take on a bus, and when you reach your destination you could pick it up and take it with you, but your bike would be no better in that respect than a proper e-bike, the wheels would result in poor handling and an uncomfortable ride, and you can't even pedal if the battery is getting low, or you want to go a bit quicker.

Of the two, if I wanted something portable, I'd probably choose an electric A-bike

If not, I'd want large wheels (700c or there abouts), big gears so I don't have to pedal too quickly and get out of puff to reach a respectable speed, preferably a throttle and I'd probably go for a rear hub motor, and no suspension or other gimmicks.
mogsog22/05/2020 19:10

Good point regarding the older bikes. Like you said I think if I were OP I …Good point regarding the older bikes. Like you said I think if I were OP I would do a sensible 250 / 500w front wheel custom build on a cheapish step-through frame. Add a throttle and tell the other half to go easy on it.It's so close to being legal I highly doubt any police officer would give it a second look.

Could you recommend a good kit to start with ? There seems to be such a wide array of items out there .
Edited by: "Robjet" 23rd May
Robjet23/05/2020 06:53

Could you recommend a good kit to start with ? There seems to be such a …Could you recommend a good kit to start with ? There seems to be such a wide array of items out there .

The really isn't much difference between the Chinese kits. There are lots of videos of the installs of them on YouTube. Most people get them off ebay. Front wheel is easier as there's less messing if you need to sort a puncture.

Below is an example of the sort of generic hub motor kits you can get. I would probably get the battery from eclipsecycles as its UK based.

ebay.co.uk/itm…304

Perhaps other people can chip on with their own suggestions.
Edited by: "mogsog" 23rd May
Many thanks for the information.I’ll have a chat with the other half and see which type of bike she will like, and then order a suitable conversation kit . Thanks again
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions