Electric meter not working, will we have to replace it with a smart meter?

Found 12th Apr
Our electricity meter has a fault, it’s a pre payment meter that’s suddenly stopped working but electricity is still working in the house. Their are no lights at all on the meter and it isn’t on the fiddle either(:I . So if we phone up to get the fault fixed will we have no choice but to get a smart meter or can we still ask that a new replacement pre payment meter be fitted? I know we don’t legally have to upgrade to a smart meter but if they are replacing a faulty pre pay will this change that? Thanks in advance
Community Updates
AskElectronicsSmart
19 Comments
Get a smart meter and change suppliers it’ll go dumb then what a well organised government we have. In all honesty I think they would fit a smart one regardless if you needed a new one, maybe you should ask your supplier
No you don't have to accept a smart meter (even though they may try to tell you you do ) . Maybe, if your circumstances permit , ask them to fit a non prepay meter . As I'm sure you are aware you are paying through the nose on a prepay meter and it severely affects your ability to switch to a better deal that will save you hundreds a year .
Edited by: "rogparki" 12th Apr
rogparki22 m ago

No you don't have to accept a smart meter (even though they may try to …No you don't have to accept a smart meter (even though they may try to tell you you do ) . Maybe, if your circumstances permit , ask them to fit a non prepay meter . As I'm sure you are aware you are paying through the nose on a prepay meter and it severely affects your ability to switch to a better deal that will save you hundreds a year .

You don’t have to accept one if offered but I don’t think they’d replace a faulty one in 2018 that wasn’t smart, it would be counter productive to their objectives
Why wouldn't you want a smart meter?
ipswich7825 m ago

Not compatible with different providers, its like the days of betamax and vhs
Edited by: "ding" 12th Apr
ipswich7814 m ago

Trust me you don't want a smart meter - I won't go over the many reasons - but makes interesting reading .

More to the point why would you want one ? - 1. shows usage - a clip round your input wire meter does that for about £8 , 2 . saves you 1 min per month or quarter reading your meter and inputting it to your suppliers site .

I'll leave you to research the many reasons you shouldn't have one , and believe me there are many . Eventually we will all have to have them , maybe 10 years - by then all the problems may have been sorted . Until then most certainly tell them where to stick their "smart meter "
Original Poster
ipswich7817 m ago

I read a smart meter goes dumb when you try and switch provider
Smart meters make even more sense if you're on prepay than on a credit account. You can topup without leaving the house. No more running to the shop in your PJ's before it shuts.
Edited by: "craigstephens" 12th Apr
craigstephens4 m ago

Smart meters make even more sense if you're on prepay than on a credit …Smart meters make even more sense if you're on prepay than on a credit account. You can topup without leaving the house. No more running to the shop in your PJ's before it shuts.

Agree with this, I believe a smart meter will allow you to top up online /through an app, would definitely choose that over going to the shop with the key!
Ovo Smart metre works well for me, It means I am paying monthly by direct debit for the actual amount I have used. I just don't bother with the plug in monitor that tells you when you are using a lot of power, I need to shower and put my washing machine on regardless of what the monitor states.
Don’t get one till they upgraded the meters. U end up stuck with the supplier and then they want to charge you to remove it.
dorey695 h, 37 m ago

Don’t get one till they upgraded the meters. U end up stuck with the s …Don’t get one till they upgraded the meters. U end up stuck with the supplier and then they want to charge you to remove it.

Not true you can simply move to another supplier and not use the smart functions eventually you can change again when the new meters come out but you won’t be charged.
Most likely battery is dead in meter. You can get it replaced like for like.
dorey697 h, 57 m ago

Don’t get one till they upgraded the meters. U end up stuck with the s …Don’t get one till they upgraded the meters. U end up stuck with the supplier and then they want to charge you to remove it.

Wrong on both counts.
moneybag15 m ago

Most likely battery is dead in meter. You can get it replaced like for …Most likely battery is dead in meter. You can get it replaced like for like.

Lol.
rogparki11 h, 3 m ago

Trust me you don't want a smart meter - I won't go over the many reasons - …Trust me you don't want a smart meter - I won't go over the many reasons - but makes interesting reading .More to the point why would you want one ? - 1. shows usage - a clip round your input wire meter does that for about £8 , 2 . saves you 1 min per month or quarter reading your meter and inputting it to your suppliers site .I'll leave you to research the many reasons you shouldn't have one , and believe me there are many . Eventually we will all have to have them , maybe 10 years - by then all the problems may have been sorted . Until then most certainly tell them where to stick their "smart meter "

neither of the points you presented are negative and what research did you do? one on google or one in a laboratory with proper equipment etc?
If you still have power then what's the problem? Not your fault that the meter isn't working properly.
That’s what I was told. Judging idiots
Bigfootpete13th Apr

If you still have power then what's the problem? Not your fault that the …If you still have power then what's the problem? Not your fault that the meter isn't working properly.

Not your fault but they then guesstimate your usage based on previous usage. Could go your way but it might not, the longer it goes on the more the problem could grow. They have a lot of money to argue with compared to us and every time my fixed rates end they estimate my usage will go up massively hence I always switch suppliers.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants