Electric oven help (faulty)

Found 9th Nov 2017
Hello everyone, my electric oven recently decided to start paying up, sometimes it'd take twice as long to cook stuff other times it'd burn things, I thought it'd be a case of buying a new thermostat but decided to test it with a multimeter just in case, unfortunately the meter didn't show 0 ohms so the thermostat is working which leads me to believe maybe the switch to select cooking modes is broke but was looking for any other possibilities first.

cheers everyone!
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
Why are you thinking the meter not showing 0 Ohms means the thermostat is OK?
Exactly what type of temperature control is fitted?
Is it a convection oven? If so have you checked the fan works continuously and is not stopping intermittently?
Edited by: "Van1973" 9th Nov 2017
All the videos and how to guides I've seen say if the reading is 0 ohms it's broke, temperature control is just a turn dial, yes it's a convection oven and the fan is continuously on. Thanks for the replies.
The main working parts on a fan oven are the fan (working you say), the thermostat (working you say) and the heating element.
If the heating element has cracked (possible eventually due to expansion/contraction because of the heat - they don't last for ever) as it expands and makes greater contact you would get a cold spot if it separates it would arc, creating more heat. I would try fitting a new element - they are relatively easy and cheap to replace.
If you buy off espares, they have links on just about every product to 'how to' videos. One here to replacing an element on a belling fan oven (costs £16.99)
Check your door seal. When you open your door you should get a rush of hot moist air. If the seal is damaged then food with dry out which causes burning but you will also lose heat so will take longer to cook. As it's the easiest to check I'd start with that
bp241110 h, 12 m ago

All the videos and how to guides I've seen say if the reading is 0 ohms …All the videos and how to guides I've seen say if the reading is 0 ohms it's broke, temperature control is just a turn dial, yes it's a convection oven and the fan is continuously on. Thanks for the replies.

Is it the long wire thermostat you checked..which fan is running continously, the fan you open the oven door.....what exact reading was your ohms reading....need more info.
Edited by: "Adam786123" 10th Nov 2017
Thanks for all the replies, I decided to buy a new oven as there are too many possible parts that could solve the issue.
bp24113 h, 21 m ago

Thanks for all the replies, I decided to buy a new oven as there are too …Thanks for all the replies, I decided to buy a new oven as there are too many possible parts that could solve the issue.

By the way 0 ohms does not mean it's bad...you can check your thermostat by putting heat to 100c and looking at panel light if it switches off then it ok if it stays on all the time then it's bad.
Thanks for the info, all sites I visited said 0 ohms means it's broke but either way I didn't want to spend any more on it as I'd already changed the selector switch 18 months ago.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions