Electric radiators vs gas radiators

Posted 15th JanEdited by:"gobanana"
I am interested to know if someone moved away from gas to electric radiator. What difference you noticed in the bill and heating of the rooms where electric radiators are being used?

I have read a few articles and have learnt that gas is cheaper e.g 4p per unit compared to electricity 15p per unit. However, the electric radiator are 100% efficient compared to 90% of a brand new boiler to perhaps 50% efficient only. There are other factors like heating loss in pipes underground etc.

What is your personal view on it? Would you recommend an electric and which type of electric radiator?
Community Updates

Groups

20 Comments
modern condensing Erp boiler are very efficient and like you said are 4 times cheaper to run than electric, you'd be mad to change unless of course you have a solar and battery installation.
Edited by: "paulj48" 15th Jan
Infrared is the new kid on the block
esar15/01/2020 17:44

Infrared is the new kid on the block

Correct , they heat you rather than the room
Main difference would be speed of heat emission were electricity is typically instantaneous although the beneficial heat effect may still take a few minutes similar to water rads, Even with a not particularly efficient boiler gas will still more more economical regardless of how much heat is transferred to the building shell itself, which will happen with electric options but at a different rate/time.
I have infrared panels and a space heater for my living room as my house is open plan with 5m high ceiling.
It's expensive but at the end of the day gas will have to be phased out eventually and no new builds after 2025 have to have gas at all so at some point they will probably have to drop electricity prices and move closer to renewables. That's my hope anyway.
But expense aside I like them.
39684355.jpgInfrared panel on my bathroom ceiling.
Edited by: "Cloeeez" 15th Jan
Gas is cheaper too run and probably get fitted aswell. You can pickup a whole house system for around £2k/£3k fitted. This also gives you got water with it. With electric I think the installation cost maybe higher for decent heaters. The cheaper ones just use way too much electric. And electric being around 4x the cost of gas it really gets expensive.

For example a typical electric heater use approximately 1kwh of electric per hour including its time off if you had 5 heaters in your house and your house and in winter they were kept on for 8 hours a day say for 4 months. That starts getting expensive plus the extra cost for keeping the heating on in living room for longer periods and also heating the water.

Why are you considering going too electric.
MynameisM15/01/2020 22:35

Gas is cheaper too run and probably get fitted aswell. You can pickup a …Gas is cheaper too run and probably get fitted aswell. You can pickup a whole house system for around £2k/£3k fitted. This also gives you got water with it. With electric I think the installation cost maybe higher for decent heaters. The cheaper ones just use way too much electric. And electric being around 4x the cost of gas it really gets expensive.For example a typical electric heater use approximately 1kwh of electric per hour including its time off if you had 5 heaters in your house and your house and in winter they were kept on for 8 hours a day say for 4 months. That starts getting expensive plus the extra cost for keeping the heating on in living room for longer periods and also heating the water.Why are you considering going too electric.

£2/£3k fitted - what gas boiler, flue, radiators, pipework etc I don't think so?
Edited by: "JimboParrot" 16th Jan
JimboParrot16/01/2020 06:59

£2/£3k fitted - what gas boiler, flue, radiators, pipework etc I don't t …£2/£3k fitted - what gas boiler, flue, radiators, pipework etc I don't think so?

You are right, I had my first home this May just gone, with a warm air heater that had to be entirely replaced with combi incl tracing, underfloor, flue, the whole works. Costs 5.5k min minus VAT 3k? Maybe in 2001.
Also to keep in mind and install a smart system and have controller on the rads in the room that you want to heat. It allows me to heat up my childs room only, from Timbuktu. Quite cool.

£2/£3k fitted - what gas boiler, flue, radiators, pipework etc I don't t …£2/£3k fitted - what gas boiler, flue, radiators, pipework etc I don't think so?

entirely possible at the higher end of that price range for a smallish property
adamspencer9516/01/2020 07:28

entirely possible at the higher end of that price range for a smallish …entirely possible at the higher end of that price range for a smallish property

A very small property. You wouldn't get it for £2,000 with boilers coming in at not much under £1,000.
Edited by: "JimboParrot" 16th Jan
JimboParrot16/01/2020 07:38

A very small property. You wouldn't get it for £2,000 with boilers coming …A very small property. You wouldn't get it for £2,000 with boilers coming in at not much under £1,000.

you can get boilers for less than £500

a property like mine, a 2 bed bungalow with 6 radiators, could easily be done for about 3k

I have had a quote of £4100 for the full setup including new Valliant boiler, new radiators, thermostat etc ... ours is a 3 bed property.

Gas is cheaper too run and probably get fitted aswell. You can pickup a …Gas is cheaper too run and probably get fitted aswell. You can pickup a whole house system for around £2k/£3k fitted. This also gives you got water with it. With electric I think the installation cost maybe higher for decent heaters. The cheaper ones just use way too much electric. And electric being around 4x the cost of gas it really gets expensive.For example a typical electric heater use approximately 1kwh of electric per hour including its time off if you had 5 heaters in your house and your house and in winter they were kept on for 8 hours a day say for 4 months. That starts getting expensive plus the extra cost for keeping the heating on in living room for longer periods and also heating the water.Why are you considering going too electric.

The reason I am considering electric is that I have an issue with radiator in the living room and need to replace that - my builder/plumber suggested that we can move the radiator to different location - if we choose to move, we will have to take out laminated flooring boards, and, then I would need to put new flooring. That's extra cost to us. Electric radiator don't need any piping so thought that could be an option to consider.

Yes you're right I did some calculations and electric will be expensive.
paulj4815/01/2020 17:05

modern condensing Erp boiler are very efficient and like you said are 4 …modern condensing Erp boiler are very efficient and like you said are 4 times cheaper to run than electric, you'd be mad to change unless of course you have a solar and battery installation.

could you send any link to make/model of such boiler?
gobanana16/01/2020 14:15

could you send any link to make/model of such boiler?

All new boilers in the UK have to be Erp condensing now so just use Google, many Manufacturers will quote an efficiency of over 100% as the formula they use will account for the condensing and re use of the returning energy.
jinkssick16/01/2020 07:11

Also to keep in mind and install a smart system and have controller on the …Also to keep in mind and install a smart system and have controller on the rads in the room that you want to heat. It allows me to heat up my childs room only, from Timbuktu. Quite cool.

But won't the more little mite be hungry by the time you get back?
gobanana16/01/2020 14:09

The reason I am considering electric is that I have an issue with radiator …The reason I am considering electric is that I have an issue with radiator in the living room and need to replace that - my builder/plumber suggested that we can move the radiator to different location - if we choose to move, we will have to take out laminated flooring boards, and, then I would need to put new flooring. That's extra cost to us. Electric radiator don't need any piping so thought that could be an option to consider.

If it's just for one room and a living room have you considered a gas fire instead. I have one and can't really do without it. I know lots of people have got rid of them and get use too central heating but for us personally as a family it's something we can't do without. Nearly everyone in the house gets either really cold feet and they just won't heat up even if the central heating is turned up. Central heating is just used early morning and before bedtime in my house as we are just stay in the living room mainly so it's ideal.

I would have thought the cheapest and best option for you maybe a radiator same width and height if there's no option too go any higher and go too a double or even triple convector if it's not already the maximum size you have. Or you could possibly have a slightly bigger sizes radiator if there's enough space without disturbing the floor.
MynameisM16/01/2020 14:45

If it's just for one room and a living room have you considered a gas fire …If it's just for one room and a living room have you considered a gas fire instead. I have one and can't really do without it. I know lots of people have got rid of them and get use too central heating but for us personally as a family it's something we can't do without. Nearly everyone in the house gets either really cold feet and they just won't heat up even if the central heating is turned up. Central heating is just used early morning and before bedtime in my house as we are just stay in the living room mainly so it's ideal. I would have thought the cheapest and best option for you maybe a radiator same width and height if there's no option too go any higher and go too a double or even triple convector if it's not already the maximum size you have. Or you could possibly have a slightly bigger sizes radiator if there's enough space without disturbing the floor.

Thanks - good point re gas fire - that is something I would like too.

I think I have made my mind up now - I am just going to get new radiator (similar hot water one) and keeping at the same place.

Re electric radiators - I'll take a look at them again in future.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions