Electric Roller Garage Doors - Props and Cons - Advice

Posted 8th Dec 2019
Asking for a friend (really).
My friend is disabled and considering swapping her up and over garage door to electric roller garage door to get her mobility scooter out more easier. She has advancing MS so needs to be sure the right thing is chosen. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons and approx. cost (Single garage size) of getting the job done please as we both have no knowledge. Thank You
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

13 Comments
We've been looking at getting one fitted. Low roof meant my choice was limited to low profile motors. £1200 is the ball park figure from 3 quotes. No real disadvantages, if there's a powercut there's a manual override
Code theft possibilities (rolling code from the remote to the garage electronics) in case there is easy access / lots to be stolen in there.

However using in VERY close proximity & storing the rfid opener in a decent rfid pouch is a decent cautionary preventative.

Obviously needs pre-existing power to the garage to be hooked into, so consider any other jobs that can be covered by a competent electrician / fitter (e.g. led floodlight on a pir, better lighting in the garage)
have you considered installing a garage door opener? this may be cheaper than getting a new door installed.

i haven't actually got one but have seen them available on sale on amazon, screwfix and several other retailers.
You would be unlucky to have this code problem but its also true for cars too. People want to use them from the car generally.
Used to have these where I worked , used to jam at least twice a year
Might better with a sectional garage door unless it's a tall garage with room to accommodate the roll from a roller door.
deleted1471098
I have a garage door opener and a big heavy double garage door, it works brilliantly. I would however recommend the door opener be installed on a separate bit to the fuse box as if you have any outdoor lights that trip out the electric unless it’s tripped the master switch you’ll still be able to open the door.
We replaced an up and over for a roller door in our last house. I think we paid about 1K to have it made and fitted. The reason we had it done was for insulation. We had a built in garage with a bedroom above it. The bedroom was always cold because the up and over had big gaps around it.

For us the pros were the insualtion, it made the house look nicer (we had it colour matched to the front door) and it appeared more secure than the up and over. Also you can use the wall next to the door for extra storage (where the up and over previously hit). Of course, it was much easier to open the door.

Cons are mostly cost. Also if you have no other access to the garage, you will have to have an external opener in case power fails.

I now have a seperate garage but would still consider having one fitted in the future when budget allows.

Fitting was easy and only took a couple of hours. I would save some money and fit one myself in the future.
Edited by: "paul123edwards" 8th Dec 2019
mutley108/12/2019 16:23

have you considered installing a garage door opener? this may be cheaper …have you considered installing a garage door opener? this may be cheaper than getting a new door installed. i haven't actually got one but have seen them available on sale on amazon, screwfix and several other retailers.

I will let her know, never knew about that. Thanks
paul123edwards08/12/2019 20:02

We replaced an up and over for a roller door in our last house. I think we …We replaced an up and over for a roller door in our last house. I think we paid about 1K to have it made and fitted. The reason we had it done was for insulation. We had a built in garage with a bedroom above it. The bedroom was always cold because the up and over had big gaps around it.For us the pros were the insualtion, it made the house look nicer (we had it colour matched to the front door) and it appeared more secure than the up and over. Also you can use the wall next to the door for extra storage (where the up and over previously hit). Of course, it was much easier to open the door.Cons are mostly cost. Also if you have no other access to the garage, you will have to have an external opener in case power fails.I now have a seperate garage but would still consider having one fitted in the future when budget allows.Fitting was easy and only took a couple of hours. I would save some money and fit one myself in the future.

Was the motor loud in the bedroom above the garage?
Hot.Potato08/12/2019 23:06

Was the motor loud in the bedroom above the garage?

No, that was never an issue as we did not use it late at night. You knew it was operatying but it did not cause any issues for us.
I've had one for years. Only issue I would say is make sure you have another entrance door into the garage - as if the fuse blows or any problem with the motor electrics then it is difficult to force the door open from outside.

If there is an other door then once inside the garage easy to open the door (depending upon your friends mobility) from inside using a manual winder at the side of the motor.

I bought mine from here - auto-roll.com/ - paid about £600 but that must be at least 15 years ago.
Van197309/12/2019 14:34

I've had one for years. Only issue I would say is make sure you have …I've had one for years. Only issue I would say is make sure you have another entrance door into the garage - as if the fuse blows or any problem with the motor electrics then it is difficult to force the door open from outside. If there is an other door then once inside the garage easy to open the door (depending upon your friends mobility) from inside using a manual winder at the side of the motor.I bought mine from here - https://www.auto-roll.com/ - paid about £600 but that must be at least 15 years ago.

Very good advice about another entrance.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions