Electric shower woes

Posted 29th Aug 2020
Hi there

Was using the electric shower today and all was fine. However, the water went cold. I had it running for a while so didn't think anything of it. Now no matter what setting I select the water only runs on cold?.

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
38 Comments
Its broke.

If old - replace. New ones are far superior to replacing parts on old ones.

If new - warranty claim or get service engineer in.
How old is it and what make is it?
Hi there

Was using the electric shower today and all was fine. However, the water went cold. I had it running for a while so didn't think anything of it. Now no matter what setting I select the water only runs on cold?.

Thanks
Chances are it will be a failed solenoid valve. Cheap and easy to replace. Plenty of videos on YouTube showing how
Edited by: "Wadda" 29th Aug
How do I check the shower to see what's broken?.
brailer29/08/2020 18:32

You don’t.
Could be the valve or temperature sensor.
Just turn off the water and isolate power.
Then swap for a new one.
I would go for same brand as water connection should be the same.
I swapped mine out years ago, hardest bit was drilling a new hole to fix to wall.
had same thing with our shower and it was the heating engine. it broke after a few months of purhase so it was still under warranty. if your shower is cheap, best buy a new one.
brailer29/08/2020 18:46

Got no fuse trip, thanks

Are you sure, now I will state I'm not an electrician, but I thought all electric showers must have an RCD fitted in the fuse box I'm happy to be corrected.
I’ve had my fair share of electric shower woes!
I have gone down the repair route and the replace route.
I would opt for replace every time unless I’m in warranty. Mira are good in warranty as will send and engineer out to repair but if out of warranty the cost of repair or replace is likely to be similar - especially if you can fit the new shower yourself. As stated above - it’s relatively straightforward and YouTube have plenty of videos to help but if at all unsure just hire an electrician to come and fit - I think £50 or under to fit is a fair price.
Edited by: "N__L" 29th Aug
richp29/08/2020 18:49

Are you sure, now I will state I'm not an electrician, but I thought all …Are you sure, now I will state I'm not an electrician, but I thought all electric showers must have an RCD fitted in the fuse box I'm happy to be corrected.

Got a pull cord to turn the power on. No water at all if this cord isn't pulled. My fuse box consists of a couple of giant fuses I pull out that turn off either sockets or lights upstairs or downstairs. Thanks
Edited by: "brailer" 29th Aug
brailer29/08/2020 18:54

Got a pull cord to turn the power on. No water at all if this cord isn't …Got a pull cord to turn the power on. No water at all if this cord isn't pulled. My fuse box consists of a couple of giant fuses I pull out that turn off either sockets or lights upstairs or downstairs. Thanks

Mine has a pull cord as well to turn the power on, but also has an RCD, sounds like you've a very old fuse box,if it was me & you need to replace the shower I'd be looking at getting the electric side of it looked at as well. Water & electrics don't mix well!
Edited by: "richp" 29th Aug
Also forgot to mention.
I bought a new Mira not long ago. The newer ones tend to have similar fittings and multiple inlet points making replacement straightforward.
I got lucky and could reuse the old screw holes too. Most online wholesalers have the fitting diagram on their site - open the faceplate of your current shower and take note of the current fitting/screw points and then purchase one that is similar. Even if you have to pay slightly more - it’ll be more convenient and tidier not having to drill new holes.
Edited by: "N__L" 29th Aug
In my old house I had 3 showers that did this..2 x Triton & Mira.. Cost a lot to replace. They seemed to break every 3 years.

But in my current house I have a power shower heated by the boiler and it hasnt broken down once in 20 years
(Its by a company called new team).
Thanks for all your help guys. Looks like we are going to smell for the bank holiday weekend lol
Probably just the thermal overload tripped in the unit best to get an electrician out to sort and advise.
So glad i fitted a mains power shower from the boiler when doing up a new house I bought , Electric showers are rubbish compared to mains shower and know one can use the cold tap with electric
N__L29/08/2020 18:51

I’ve had my fair share of electric shower woes! I have gone down the r …I’ve had my fair share of electric shower woes! I have gone down the repair route and the replace route. I would opt for replace every time unless I’m in warranty. Mira are good in warranty as will send and engineer out to repair but if out of warranty the cost of repair or replace is likely to be similar - especially if you can fit the new shower yourself. As stated above - it’s relatively straightforward and YouTube have plenty of videos to help but if at all unsure just hire an electrician to come and fit - I think £50 or under to fit is a fair price.

Will it be that cheap? Was quoted £50 from a plumber (who's mum is a friend of my mum) just to replace a toilet valve (it was making a foghorn noise after every flush)
The last 3 times* I've had issues with showers it's been either the hose or the shower head.
Can you remove the hose from the shower unit and turn it on, might be a really cheap fix.

*stuttering output, either cold or boiling hot.
u66454130/08/2020 09:45

The last 3 times* I've had issues with showers it's been either the hose …The last 3 times* I've had issues with showers it's been either the hose or the shower head.Can you remove the hose from the shower unit and turn it on, might be a really cheap fix.*stuttering output, either cold or boiling hot.

The flow of water is fine it's just stone cold no matter how I position the dials. I'm going to test the continuity on some of the parts and see if I can swap them out.
brailer30/08/2020 14:44

The flow of water is fine it's just stone cold no matter how I position …The flow of water is fine it's just stone cold no matter how I position the dials. I'm going to test the continuity on some of the parts and see if I can swap them out.

I would start with the heater tank, see if you have continuity on the element, thats what went on my Mira Sport.
madoka_ayukawa30/08/2020 00:47

Will it be that cheap? Was quoted £50 from a plumber (who's mum is a …Will it be that cheap? Was quoted £50 from a plumber (who's mum is a friend of my mum) just to replace a toilet valve (it was making a foghorn noise after every flush)

my toilet made a foghorn sound a few years ago and we never worked out what it was. it went away by itself after a week or so
N__L29/08/2020 18:51

I think £50 or under to fit is a fair price.

Good luck with that. £100 would be about right.

Will it be that cheap? Was quoted £50 from a plumber (who's mum is a …Will it be that cheap? Was quoted £50 from a plumber (who's mum is a friend of my mum) just to replace a toilet valve (it was making a foghorn noise after every flush)

Ignore the other poster. £30-£40 to turn up plus parts is circa £50. Nothing wrong with the price given to you. It is right.
Amazing how times have changed.

Back in the the day people used to get a tradesman in (or a friend of their mums sisters uncles friend who knows a man who can) to diagnose and repair a faulty appliance.

Now we just ask on a website dedicated to saving money, yes I know DIY can and does save money...

OP, don't mess about with an electric shower, no offence but you are clearly electrically inept.
Times are hard so I get you might not want to spend a lot of money but safety first.
SaltyExpert30/08/2020 21:18

Amazing how times have changed.

Yes. Now days people expect to pay £50 for a tradesman to spend half a day fixing their broken stuff.

That £50 wouldn't even cover their NI, fuel, van, tools, mobile, website, ongoing qualifications, memberships & insurances. Let alone pay their mortgage & food & childrens clothing everything else that families have to buy.
SaltyExpert30/08/2020 21:18

Amazing how times have changed.Back in the the day people used to get a …Amazing how times have changed.Back in the the day people used to get a tradesman in (or a friend of their mums sisters uncles friend who knows a man who can) to diagnose and repair a faulty appliance.Now we just ask on a website dedicated to saving money, yes I know DIY can and does save money...OP, don't mess about with an electric shower, no offence but you are clearly electrically inept.Times are hard so I get you might not want to spend a lot of money but safety first.

Not really rocket science. Just didn't have time to research the issue when I was able to post on here quickly. The problem is one of a few parts has failed. I'll isolate the power, cord and mains, test with multimeter to find the part. Swap for new part if more economical than buying a complete replacement. Thanks.
brailer29/08/2020 18:32

Like I said, no offence, but that comment didn't lead me to believe you're anywhere near in the league of a rocket scientist.
You'll know to use a proving meter rather than a multimeter then
SaltyExpert30/08/2020 22:41

Like I said, no offence, but that comment didn't lead me to believe you're …Like I said, no offence, but that comment didn't lead me to believe you're anywhere near in the league of a rocket scientist.You'll know to use a proving meter rather than a multimeter then

Does that mean you have to do a bit of live testing? Anyway it is probably the thermostat that is bust or the heating element
Edited by: "Willy_Wonka" 30th Aug
Willy_Wonka30/08/2020 22:46

Does that mean you have to do a bit of live testing? Anyway it is probably …Does that mean you have to do a bit of live testing? Anyway it is probably the thermostat that is bust.

Live testing once power back on aye to check for correct continuity should one have disconnected and reconnected anything.

Was tongue in cheek though, still don't understand the mindset of asking on somewhere like here when supposedly competent of doing it yourself. Leads me right back to my times have changed earlier, we used to take pride in looking at and rectifying faults without help as engineers.
Now most just ask and get the answer handed to them on a plate
SaltyExpert30/08/2020 22:52

Live testing once power back on aye to check for correct continuity should …Live testing once power back on aye to check for correct continuity should one have disconnected and reconnected anything.

That is what my other half said. These are mirco switches. In any case a novice should be prepared to change the thermostat & element for starters & then it might be the pcb.
Many an engineer we have had around our house that tests & replaces the obvious when the fault is one piece of wire about 2cms long.
Looks to be failure of pressure, micro or thermal switch. Look for burnt contacts/damage, check for continuity. Swap broken part.
brailer30/08/2020 23:06

Looks to be failure of pressure, micro or thermal switch. Look for burnt …Looks to be failure of pressure, micro or thermal switch. Look for burnt contacts/damage, check for continuity. Swap broken part.

I will give you a clue.

Pressure failure isn't the issue unless there is debris in the filters in & out OR you are suffering it elsewhere in your home. Burnt out connections isn't the problem either.
Willy_Wonka30/08/2020 23:11

I will give you a clue. Pressure failure isn't the issue unless there is …I will give you a clue. Pressure failure isn't the issue unless there is debris in the filters in & out OR you are suffering it elsewhere in your home. Burnt out connections isn't the problem either.

More than likely it's the TCO failing as iv overheated the tank.
brailer30/08/2020 23:26

More than likely it's the TCO failing as iv overheated the tank.

You are guessing. If you are guessing & do not want to engage a plumber then replace the whole thing. You could do that for £90 plus your time. Just DO NOT install a higher Wattage shower else you might have a fire.
Edited by: "Willy_Wonka" 30th Aug

All you had to do was change the diaphragm washer for a couple of quid and 2 minutes of your time
pinkleponkle31/08/2020 00:51

All you had to do was change the diaphragm washer for a couple of quid and …All you had to do was change the diaphragm washer for a couple of quid and 2 minutes of your time

That is a guess too. You are assuming you can isolate. You are also assuming it is a fill valve rather than a flush valve. You don't know any of it.
Post a comment
@
    Text