Found 3rd Jun 2009
Can i spur off the main electrics board to add a socket?

20 Comments

Banned

Easier spurring off another socket. But you are best getting a professional doing it

Only if you're Corgi registered :whistling:

kyalion;5388340

Only if you're Corgi registered :whistling:

This would help how?

Original Poster Banned

sculpturatus;5388334

Easier spurring off another socket. But you are best getting a … Easier spurring off another socket. But you are best getting a professional doing it

dont want to do that, need a socket behind tv, and there isnt one, nearest sockets are both past doors so dont want extensions, if spurred from upstairs it means channeling walls, behind the wall tv is on is main board, so makes sense to spur off that if i can

The downstairs plugs should all be on a ring. Work out where the ring is coming off the main board & make a spur from that.

You could go direct from the board to a plug but that would involve creating a new ring which seems an awful lot of work when a spur is so much easier.

Original Poster Banned

cis_groupie;5388439

The downstairs plugs should all be on a ring. Work out where the ring is … The downstairs plugs should all be on a ring. Work out where the ring is coming off the main board & make a spur from that.You could go direct from the board to a plug but that would involve creating a new ring which seems an awful lot of work when a spur is so much easier.

ok, thanks, obviously wont be doing this myself, just wanted to know if we could, do you know what is a reasonable amount for an electrician to do this?

Original Poster Banned

changing sockets, light switches, plugs and bulbs is my limit im afraid, would not even attempt it

so this means i still got to lift floor boards to find the ring

Banned

sassie;5388573

changing sockets, light switches, plugs and bulbs is my limit im afraid, … changing sockets, light switches, plugs and bulbs is my limit im afraid, would not even attempt it

Spurring off the socket ring is probably your best option, and its not much more difficult than wiring a 13amp plug. Good luck

Original Poster Banned

sculpturatus;5388622

Spurring off the socket ring is probably your best option, and its not … Spurring off the socket ring is probably your best option, and its not much more difficult than wiring a 13amp plug. Good luck

apart from when i come to sell the house, probs next year

Banned

sassie;5388573

so this means i still got to lift floor boards to find the ring

No, the ring starts at the consumer unit and ends at the consumer unit (electrics board)

Banned

sassie;5388629

apart from when i come to sell the house, probs next year

Yes, you will need to get the bloke from the council in to verify the work is to standard. They are free though, dont pay for some muppet to come and try diddle you out of your cash

Original Poster Banned

i thought you had to have certificate of any new wiring added

Banned

Check here for info esc.org.uk/

Banned

sassie;5388658

Yep, which you can get retrospectively by getting the man from the council in

Banned

sassie;5388658

Bought my house 1.5yrs ago and didn't get any certificates for changes to wiring. It's a complete mess to be honest. The new owner won't get a certificate for all the work I've done either :lol: and it's a lot of work I've done! :whistling:

two that stand out are wiring in electrics for the cooker most of the cable was there but hadn't been finished,

both these wired into 3amp fuse so I don't kill myself
under cupboard lights in the kitchen
electric fan over oven

Original Poster Banned

thank you for all your information but as said i really would not feel comfortable doing this, but at least now i can spur off it i can maybe ring for some quotes

sassie;5388658

What new wiring? It was like that when you moved in wasn't it :thumbsup:

Original Poster Banned

megalomaniac;5388825

What new wiring? It was like that when you moved in wasn't it :thumbsup:

new wring is shown by the new colours, ive lived here 15 years

Banned

sassie;5388841

new wring is shown by the new colours, ive lived here 15 years

so I should be okay, I've heard they are date coded too though so just got to hope the cable was 2 yrs old in wickes :)?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Switch from BT to BT same property different person626
    2. Advice on claiming from Salford Council pot hole damage22
    3. What is the best weight training app for iOS please?33
    4. heart rate monitor fitness watch59

See more discussions