Expired

electrical cooker installation

Found 15th Sep 2013
Any advice assistance appriciated,
i have just ordered a new electric cooker from woolworths, although i am told the cooker does not come with the connecting electrical wire to fit to the wall outlet. where can i purchase wiring for this as have advised me that they do not provide this part.Beko BDV555AW 50cm Double Oven Electric Cooker. what cable i need ???
Community Updates
AskCookerElectronics
14 Comments
B&Q
Of course it comes with the electrical wire, why would you think it didn't? you will need to hard wire it to an electric cooker socket is all, which is meant to be done by an electrician, but anyone with half a brain can do it themselves.
Edited by: "happi" 15th Sep 2013
there is no wires with cooker, received it yesterday
happi

Of course it comes with the electrical wire, why would you think it … Of course it comes with the electrical wire, why would you think it didn't? you will need to hard wire it to an electric cooker socket is all, which is meant to be done by an electrician, but anyone with half a brain can do it themselves.

WOW rude! A LOT of new electric cookers come without the cable. This is to discourage people from connecting up the cooker themselves, and to hire an electrician to do it instead, to avoid risk of electrocution. I think it's a nannying stupid idea, but there you go.

@ the OP, if you google around you'll find all the information you need, or as suggested by a poster above go to B&Q and ask them to show you what you need. You just need a metre or so of the cable from what I remember of mine. Then you wire it up to the cooker and the box on the wall, which is just like wiring up a big plug. You must make sure you turn off your electricity first of course. If you are at all unsure or nervous, you can get someone from Gumtree to do it for you for about £20, it's literally a ten minute job.
therealslimkaty

WOW rude! A LOT of new electric cookers come without the cable. This is … WOW rude! A LOT of new electric cookers come without the cable. This is to discourage people from connecting up the cooker themselves, and to hire an electrician to do it instead, to avoid risk of electrocution. I think it's a nannying stupid idea, but there you go. @ the OP, if you google around you'll find all the information you need, or as suggested by a poster above go to B&Q and ask them to show you what you need. You just need a metre or so of the cable from what I remember of mine. Then you wire it up to the cooker and the box on the wall, which is just like wiring up a big plug. You must make sure you turn off your electricity first of course. If you are at all unsure or nervous, you can get someone from Gumtree to do it for you for about £20, it's literally a ten minute job.

Errr how is it rude to say a cooker comes with the cable? if it didn't it would say so on the website, yes i checked before i opened my mouth (_;) it even has a fitting service on said site for £5, i doubt it would be that cheap with no cable provided!

Now i could be rude but you don't matter so i won't!
Edited by: "happi" 15th Sep 2013
happi

Errr how is it rude to say a cooker comes with the cable? if it didn't it … Errr how is it rude to say a cooker comes with the cable? if it didn't it would say so on the website, yes i checked before i opened my mouth (_;) it even has a fitting service on said site for £5, i doubt it would be that cheap with no cable provided!Now i could be rude but you don't matter so i won't!

The £5 is not an installation service - it is a removal of old cooker service - so please read carefully

@OP

firstly do you have a switch on the wall near the intended cooker location like this

diy.com/nav…398

and a covered wallplate behind the cooker location like this

diy.com/nav…392

if yes then it is a simple matter of a metre or so of 10mm2 cable like this

diy.com/nav…141

but if you are at all unsure what you are doing you should get a qualified electrician to do it for you - should not be expensive

if you do not have the above mentioned wall outlets it's a bigger job for sure and will need a qualified person to do it as it falls undfer Part P of Building Regulations.

hth

EliTom
thank you Eli Tom for suggestion and clear and good advise. thats helped me a lot. thanks again
happi

Errr how is it rude to say a cooker comes with the cable? if it didn't it … Errr how is it rude to say a cooker comes with the cable? if it didn't it would say so on the website, yes i checked before i opened my mouth (_;) it even has a fitting service on said site for £5, i doubt it would be that cheap with no cable provided!Now i could be rude but you don't matter so i won't!

You need to learn to read, £5 is NOT for installation, it's for collection of the old cooker. Installation costs £90 from them. So... you clearly didn't check very well. - and read the OPs follow up post confirming that It DIDNT COME WITH A CABLE. Jeeze

Edited by: "therealslimkaty" 15th Sep 2013
happi

Of course it comes with the electrical wire, why would you think it … Of course it comes with the electrical wire, why would you think it didn't? you will need to hard wire it to an electric cooker socket is all, which is meant to be done by an electrician, but anyone with half a brain can do it themselves.

Anyone with half a brain would know that cookers do not come with a cable.oO
unless you know a lot of about electrics, i would advise you pay someone to connect it up for you.

it needs to be hard wired in, you can't just plug it in like a toaster for example.
@ the OP, hope you enjoy your cooker for many years to come. Just looking at the specs, that is a great price for a double oven with big one being fan, and a programmable timer! I got a new cooker last year and chose one with a ceramic hob and boy am I regretting it. It takes such a lot of looking after, I wish now I'd gone for the hob like on your cooker, so much easier to keep clean.
im sure i will enjoy my cooker when it will be finally installed
therealslimkaty

You need to learn to read, £5 is NOT for installation, it's for … You need to learn to read, £5 is NOT for installation, it's for collection of the old cooker. Installation costs £90 from them. So... you clearly didn't check very well. - and read the OPs follow up post confirming that It DIDNT COME WITH A CABLE. Jeeze

Well don't have a wobbler it's only a forum dear (_;)

OP i bought this cooker and it came with a cable, sorry yours didn't, can you not use the cable from your old cooker? when i said anyone with half a brain can fit one i meant don't pay out lots of money to get it done, i did mine and although i'm no electrician i was able to safely connect it.

Too many people particularly on this forum are fannies and would rather tell you to pay out money you don't need to, it's not a gas cooker which does need professional installation, it just needs hard wiring to a socket instead of just plugging it in
happi

Well don't have a wobbler it's only a forum dear (_;)OP i bought this … Well don't have a wobbler it's only a forum dear (_;)OP i bought this cooker and it came with a cable, sorry yours didn't, can you not use the cable from your old cooker? when i said anyone with half a brain can fit one i meant don't pay out lots of money to get it done, i did mine and although i'm no electrician i was able to safely connect it.Too many people particularly on this forum are fannies and would rather tell you to pay out money you don't need to, it's not a gas cooker which does need professional installation, it just needs hard wiring to a socket instead of just plugging it in

Do stop giving people dangerous advice, this cooker needs hard wire connecting to a cooker outlet, not a socket.

Connecting it to a socket could easily result in a fire.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants