Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Electrical help

Posted 25th May 2020
Hi I’m trying to install a motion sensor however the wiring in the house is a mess, uni have one of the tube lights in presently with a 1 gang switch, there is about 3 separate wires coming in from the top into the light.
Am I able to utilise the switch wires (com and l1) to power up the motion detector?
Community Updates
Ask
6 Comments
Com and L1 will be live only, there will be no neutral to use
Which motion sensor are you installing? Is it built in to the switch or standalone that will mount on the ceiling.

Btw - wiring is not a mess, the three wires are, 1) live supply 2) switch cable 3) loop to your next ceiling rose.

Check this it will give you an idea, maybe you can find a better one on YouTube.

Edited by: "Killer" 25th May
Killer25/05/2020 22:31

Which motion sensor are you installing? Is it built in to the switch or …Which motion sensor are you installing? Is it built in to the switch or standalone that will mount on the ceiling.Btw - wiring is not a mess, the three wires are, 1) live supply 2) switch cable 3) loop to your next ceiling rose.Check this it will give you an idea, maybe you can find a better one on YouTube.[Video]

Wall mounted (separate)
shef007225/05/2020 22:48

Wall mounted (separate)

I have three different connections stemming onto mains
A light switch will typically have only live and switched live, and possibly an earth, so can't power a PIR.

You'd typically expect to have three cables going into the light fitting, the mains supply cable, the switch cable and a cable to supply mains to the next light on the circuit, unless it is the last one.

40882480-3EXz6.jpg
melted26/05/2020 22:07

A light switch will typically have only live and switched live, and …A light switch will typically have only live and switched live, and possibly an earth, so can't power a PIR.You'd typically expect to have three cables going into the light fitting, the mains supply cable, the switch cable and a cable to supply mains to the next light on the circuit, unless it is the last one. [Image]

I only have 2 wires in the light switch so if I connect the com wire to the live on the sensor and the L1 to the SL on the sensor wire the neutral from the light to the sensor do you think that ll work? Then connect two live wires from the sensor to the switch?
Post a comment
@
    Text