Found 28th Feb 2010
hi im doing a bit of electric work and was wondering if it is permissable to have a rocker switch (a light swith) outside the zones of a bathroom. many thanks for anyones help

12 Comments

Banned

yes, thats what they do on modern builds, the bathroom light switch is outside the bathroom door

bloody annoying when kids turn if off mid way

I believe Building Regulation dictate it must be exterior to the bathroom now.
However, what I am certain of is any electrical work by law has to be done by a competent person with the required qualifications.

think the op is asking whether he can have a push switch inside the bathroom, but outside the zones...ie not within hands reach of water (ie you cant reach it when inside the bath) and the official answer is no as everyone said, but they used to have push switches for years , but would personally just stick to a pull switch as it is safer.

Original Poster

thanks rep added to all!

Original Poster

awoodhall2003;7983502

I believe Building Regulation dictate it must be exterior to the bathroom … I believe Building Regulation dictate it must be exterior to the bathroom now.However, what I am certain of is any electrical work by law has to be done by a competent person with the required qualifications.

can anyone specify a regulation where i can find this please ?

Banned

as long as its done well, whos to know who did what

ive seen some right cruddy jobs by pros anyway

take your time, use common sense, and you wont burn the house down

whatsThePoint;7983515

Hard to prove who done it in a old house

I completely agree, I've changed many a switch, light fittings, even run a few new circuits (albeit with help) but then again I've done a bit of work with a qualified builder/electrician/plumber, and he usually will often have a quick look when he pops round to ensure its all sound.

jubbyme;7983720

as long as its done well, whos to know who did whative seen some right … as long as its done well, whos to know who did whative seen some right cruddy jobs by pros anywaytake your time, use common sense, and you wont burn the house down

Just IF you do and it comes to insurance, as at the moment they are being very investigative over claims, especially serious ones.

And i've seen the same, ive seen new switches without earths, ive seen bare live wires skimmed over in walls...for me to discover taking it off...luckily i noticed it before I hit it!

Why not just have a pull switch?

Original Poster

I am doing a job to gain my electrical scheme, i.e Nic. the customer says that he dont like pull cords.... what can i say customer is right hay?

How about a PIR operated light then?

pabz;7985056

I am doing a job to gain my electrical scheme, i.e Nic. the customer says … I am doing a job to gain my electrical scheme, i.e Nic. the customer says that he dont like pull cords.... what can i say customer is right hay?

if your doing your nic, you need to do it properly and stick it outside the bathroom. sure they come and inspect some of your work?

Original Poster

tdogg;7985857

if your doing your nic, you need to do it properly and stick it outside … if your doing your nic, you need to do it properly and stick it outside the bathroom. sure they come and inspect some of your work?

im trying to get niceic qualified so thats why im askig for advice. thanks for that. rep added to all!" any other advice would be much appreciated
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Travelling from London Stadium after an event11
    2. Dog advice please. Think my Labrador is dying after catching the cold44
    3. School shoes - with lights66
    4. Incorrect Amazon refunds - how can I make sure they don't owe me any more m…79

See more discussions