Electrical work pricing

Posted 1st Jun
I'm pretty clueless when it comes to pricing on this kind of stuff.

mid 1980's 1 bed flat

Replacing distribution board etc.

Is that about the right price for the job?

3476140.jpg
Community Updates
Misc
17 Comments
Unsatisfactory? What does that mean?
Willy_Wonka01/06/2020 19:27

Unsatisfactory? What does that mean?

It means that the distribution board is plastic and regs state it must be metal cladded, and no bonding on gas and water will also be classed as unsatisfactory

What I peed off with is that the letting agent knew it would fail, but got the electrician in anyway. So a charge for £99 +VAT has to be paid come what may. I don't have to pay it again if I use this electrician but obviously if I go eleswhere I will
Edited by: "OllieSt" 1st Jun
Which part of the country are you located has a big bearing on price
OllieSt01/06/2020 19:30

It means that the distribution board is plastic and regs state it must be …It means that the distribution board is plastic and regs state it must be metal cladded, and no bonding on gas and water will also mean unsatisfyicatory

OK. You do know the work isn't compulsery?
Correction. It is a flat you are renting out. In which case you do need it done.
candi01/06/2020 19:31

Which part of the country are you located has a big bearing on price

This is in East London
Can you ask EDF for example for a quote and then use it for comparison purposes?
Thought so probably about 400-450 up here in the north
Seems a bit expensive to me - but with no info about what the situation is or what cu will be installed.... Is it going to be cheapy one or top end?

Earthing to water and Gas seems a lot - but we don't know how easy it will be to run the cable. Must be a long way if the cable is going to be £80 - thats nigh on 50m of 16mm2 cable. Or is it going to be in conduit ?

Cynic in me says Letting agent getting backhander?
mas9901/06/2020 20:01

Seems a bit expensive to me - but with no info about what the situation is …Seems a bit expensive to me - but with no info about what the situation is or what cu will be installed.... Is it going to be cheapy one or top end?Earthing to water and Gas seems a lot - but we don't know how easy it will be to run the cable. Must be a long way if the cable is going to be £80 - thats nigh on 50m of 16mm2 cable. Or is it going to be in conduit ?Cynic in me says Letting agent getting backhander?

I thought that was a lot, but thinking about it, the property is 2nd floor flat in purpose built block with gas meter quite a long distance away. Does it have to bonded near the meter? The he only other place is the combi boiler in the kitchen if thats possible (water pipes there too). The board is situated above the front door entrance in the property.

As I said I'm clueless on things like this, I just wish agent had sorted this prior to failed EICR which he knew it would fail on. I'm shielded at the moment so have needed to put my trust in him (I've not depended on anyone for decades) and now I'm reminded why I don't normally choose to
Edited by: "OllieSt" 1st Jun
I think it does need to be at the meter - no good reason other than if it isn't then future pipe modification could result in the bonding no longer being connected.

That might explain it then - time taken to fish cables through voids etc can add up.
If you aren’t renting out you don’t have to change it it’s not clear from the post if this is the case.

make sure you get the necessary reports and approval some “don’t think” to include them but they are necessary.
East London ? I can PM you someone's number.
He replaced my ancient dist board and charged £350 incl. parts and labour. for a 3 bedroom house.
Edited by: "zworld" 1st Jun
OllieSt01/06/2020 19:30

It means that the distribution board is plastic and regs state it must be …It means that the distribution board is plastic and regs state it must be metal cladded, and no bonding on gas and water will also be classed as unsatisfactoryWhat I peed off with is that the letting agent knew it would fail, but got the electrician in anyway. So a charge for £99 +VAT has to be paid come what may. I don't have to pay it again if I use this electrician but obviously if I go eleswhere I will

You don't have to replace the existing distribution board just because its plastic, if your electrician is saying that then he's trying it on. The regs are not retrospective. However if the existing board is faulty or damaged thats different.
The regs state that any new or replacement consumer units must be metal clad, they don't say that existing plastic ones that are in good order have to be replaced. If that was true then almost every house or flat in the country would need one.
Edited by: "Delbert.Grady" 2nd Jun
Delbert.Grady02/06/2020 12:36

You don't have to replace the existing distribution board just because its …You don't have to replace the existing distribution board just because its plastic, if your electrician is saying that then he's trying it on. The regs are not retrospective. However if the existing board is faulty or damaged thats different.The regs state that any new or replacement consumer units must be metal clad, they don't say that existing plastic ones that are in good order have to be replaced. If that was true then almost every house or flat in the country would need one.

I'll speak to him tomorrow, thanks for the heads up, to be honest the way I feel at the moment I am considering leaving the place vacant until Oct/Nov. There's so much uncertainty out there. I think the financial impact of the virus is becoming more evident. I've had prospective tenants offering over asking price and down payment of an extra months rent, but i will not entertain furloughed applicants as I firmly believe many will be jobless by Xmas. My current rent guarantee scheme has been suspended for all new tenancy agreements and I am looking for an alternative.
Do you have a copy of the EICR report? or any photos of the existing installation.
Some electricians try a fast one and say that the installation is unsatifactory as it doesnt comply to current regulations.
The electrician should make a recommendation to bring it to current standards but as long as the installation is safe and was installed to the current standards at the time of install it is satifactory.
Post a comment
@
    Text