Electrician advice needed

Found 31st Oct 2017
Ok, so luckily I was in on Sunday when a waterfall started to come through the light fitting in my spare room.
The upstairs flat bath drain decided to pour water everywhere but the drain.

I can't see any physical damage to the ceiling or the light fitting, although I'll give it a few days to dry out before using the lights.

The thing is I don't know how much damage the water has done in the ceiling (concrete), the wiring is from the 60's as well.

Do I just get a circuit test done? or does it need more thorough, dig into the ceiling to check the wiring?

I don't want to have to find in a year or so time that the wiring has deteriorated because of this and have to pay to get the whole place rewired (apparently with this old wiring it's rather sensitive, the power points have the sealed pot connections).
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
Pretty sure it's an insurance call on this sort of thing, shouldn't your neighbours insurance pay out for this sort of issue ?

lease-advice.org/art…it/
I'd agree with involving an Insurer.

With concrete ceilings it may take a while for things to dry out!
i have had water come down a few times and never bothered with any inspection. one time the lights stopped working at my dad's house after a leak so the electrician had to come round but where the lights continued to work after the water came through, there was never any follow up problem with the lights.
kester767 h, 9 m ago

Pretty sure it's an insurance call on this sort of thing, shouldn't your …Pretty sure it's an insurance call on this sort of thing, shouldn't your neighbours insurance pay out for this sort of issue ?https://www.lease-advice.org/article/water-is-leaking-from-my-neighbours-flat-and-damaging-mine-who-should-pay-for-it/

The neighbour is only liable if he/ she has been negligent. If e.g. a part failed or a pipe leaked and the neighbour was just using their bath in a normal way, it would be hard to claim that they're liable. And you'd have to prove it too, which could be difficult.

If you live in a flat, the freeholder (possibly via a management company) should have building insurance, so they would be the people to contact if you're looking at claiming this via insurance. We recently had to do this as the leak significantly damaged the ceiling (paint, plaster, the ceiling itself 'bowed'), walls, kitchen cupboards etc. Had there been no visible damage and all the lights were working as normal, not sure if I'd have bothered.
Unscrew the ceiling rose and check the the internal wires are dry. If dry should be fine. They usually just unscrew if a normal light fitting.
Muir10 h, 44 m ago

The neighbour is only liable if he/ she has been negligent. If e.g. a part …The neighbour is only liable if he/ she has been negligent. If e.g. a part failed or a pipe leaked and the neighbour was just using their bath in a normal way, it would be hard to claim that they're liable. And you'd have to prove it too, which could be difficult.If you live in a flat, the freeholder (possibly via a management company) should have building insurance, so they would be the people to contact if you're looking at claiming this via insurance. We recently had to do this as the leak significantly damaged the ceiling (paint, plaster, the ceiling itself 'bowed'), walls, kitchen cupboards etc. Had there been no visible damage and all the lights were working as normal, not sure if I'd have bothered.

Thanks, I've got one of those freeholders that seems to respond instantly to e-mails if it involves payment of service charges, but all other requests to get anything done are pretty much ignored. (Last excuse I got was that it went to the junk mail folder - yeah right).

mutley111 h, 46 m ago

i have had water come down a few times and never bothered with any …i have had water come down a few times and never bothered with any inspection. one time the lights stopped working at my dad's house after a leak so the electrician had to come round but where the lights continued to work after the water came through, there was never any follow up problem with the lights.

But is your wiring from the sixties?
.MUFC.22 m ago

Unscrew the ceiling rose and check the the internal wires are dry. If dry …Unscrew the ceiling rose and check the the internal wires are dry. If dry should be fine. They usually just unscrew if a normal light fitting.

Thanks - I was just unsure of the 'waterproofability' of the wiring covering I think is braided Romex, but looking on google it appears to be waterproof.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants