Groups

electrician courses help

My hubby is from India and years ago he did a wiremans (electrician/wiring) course there and passed first class.
    when he first came to the UK we looked into him getting it converted into a city and guilds qualification but due to a language barrier at the time it wasn't a possibility. He's now at the stage that he really wants to take this up but I'm at a loss as to what kind of course he needs to attend as there's so many to choose from and I don't really know which is best for him. was hoping someone here in the same line of work could point me in the right direction. He can fully wire a house has recently helped do a cousins house and regularly helps friends and family out when any wiring needs to be done. Can take electrical things apart and find faults and fix them. If anyone can point me in the right direction we'd really appreciate it. We live in east London if that helps. Thank you.

18 Comments

Try your local community college such as Hackney
    or give these a call

Edited by: "sowotsdis" 16th Sep 2016

agree with the above, local college is the best place to ask for what electrical course they offers.

Original Poster

Thanks for the help so far guys really appreciate it. I'll be looking into all those links davewave appreciate the time you took.

I did a VRQ in domestic electrical installation about five years ago at Able Skills in Dartford. It was an intensive course and although it didn't make me a fully qualified electrician ie I cannot touch electrics if the consumer unit is in a commercial premises it is adequate for me. I cannot remember if it was a 2/4/6 week course and cost involved. HTC Jeremy

Original Poster

Thank you Jeremy I'll look into that too. I've been on the phone to the national careers advice and they've given me a few pointers and also an organisation to go to, to see if his certificate can be converted or not.

Banned

electric bis much different there than UK. make sure he does a course first before changing your family's house. I wouldn't want to pay the bill. I have a uncle who can do all sorts, if he came here I wouldn't let him touch anything lol. plus he needs a certificate as some customers may ask first one. in the mean time tell him to do plumbing as well.

Original Poster

sofiasar

electric bis much different there than UK. make sure he does a course … electric bis much different there than UK. make sure he does a course first before changing your family's house. I wouldn't want to pay the bill. I have a uncle who can do all sorts, if he came here I wouldn't let him touch anything lol. plus he needs a certificate as some customers may ask first one. in the mean time tell him to do plumbing as well.

​Thanks for your advice but he's been here over 15 years and sorted out other people's dodgy wiring and no one has had any problems with his wiring. hence the reason he wants to train up properly. I have a lot of faith in his expertise and would happily live in a house completely wired by him just a shame he doesn't have the qualifications in this country but hopefully we'll rectify that soon. He's not doing anything for customers just friends and family.

Best look at local colleges that offer courses then ask to speak to someone about what course would be appropriate.

sofiasar

electric bis much different there than UK. make sure he does a course … electric bis much different there than UK. make sure he does a course first before changing your family's house. I wouldn't want to pay the bill. I have a uncle who can do all sorts, if he came here I wouldn't let him touch anything lol. plus he needs a certificate as some customers may ask first one. in the mean time tell him to do plumbing as well.

Thanks Prince Philip

Banned

termite

Thanks Prince Philip

​your welcome butler

Isn't it C&G 2382-15 17th edition still ?

Original Poster

kester76

Isn't it C&G 2382-15 17th edition still ?

​sorry but what's that?

Original Poster

mutley1

Best look at local colleges that offer courses then ask to speak to … Best look at local colleges that offer courses then ask to speak to someone about what course would be appropriate.

​yes I'm hoping to do that in the coming week.

adhkarzf

​yes I'm hoping to do that in the coming week.

Ask to speak to someone at the college that can advise and explain your husband's indian qualifications. Speak to as many local college as you can so that you can choose the right college and also see if they all say the same thing.

adhkarzf

​sorry but what's that?

It's a electrician course to bring you up to the standard. My friend took it when he built his own house to save on paying an electrician to do it. I assumed your other half would just need to pass this.
    cityandguilds.com/qua…ons

Original Poster

kester76

It's a electrician course to bring you up to the standard. My friend took … It's a electrician course to bring you up to the standard. My friend took it when he built his own house to save on paying an electrician to do it. I assumed your other half would just need to pass this.http://www.cityandguilds.com/qualifications-and-apprenticeships/building-services-industry/electrical-installation/2382-requirements-for-electrical-installations#tab=information

​Thank you kester76 I wasn't aware of this course.

like I said it's been a minefield but I've had some really good suggestions from everyone here and feel more able to do something now. so thank you to everyone who replied and offered advice.

i wouldn't public announce he has been working on electrics for friends and family I believe it's illegal in this country to do that unless it's your own house or u are qualified
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Scammed on Steam game22
      2. £1 O2 Priority Lunch is ending???11
      3. After a good deal for new work shirts!12
      4. Advice for bank error24

See more discussions