Groups

Electrician help please!!! Light switch issues lol.

Hey all, anyone with some electrical knowledge?

In my lounge I have 2 sets of 3 50W 240V lights and a dimmer switch. But when one of the bulbs blows the switch also blows.

I then have to go and get a new switch.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help.

15 Comments

My idea,get an Electrician in lol

check that the switch is wired correctly and the light. ensure they are both earthed

Dimmers are only rated at around 350-400w usually and your loading it with 700.

Check it's rating it may even be a 250w one

Edited by: "greg_68" 6th Oct 2010

greg_68

Dimmers are only rated at around 350-400w usually and your loading it … Dimmers are only rated at around 350-400w usually and your loading it with 700.Check it's rating it may even be a 250w one

Think its 3x50W lights (150W per set...). Still would be overloading a 250W\300W dimmer though...
    Edited by: "jah128" 6th Oct 2010

Original Poster

greg_68

Dimmers are only rated at around 350-400w usually and your loading it … Dimmers are only rated at around 350-400w usually and your loading it with 700.Check it's rating it may even be a 250w one

I thought 2 sets of 3x50 would have been 300 watts?

Banned

greg_68

its only 300, not 700

check that your dimmer is wired up correctly as said

My bad, I read it as 2 sets of 350w.

In which case there is something very wrong in the circuit somewhere to be doing that much damage for a blown bulb.
    Edited by: "greg_68" 6th Oct 2010

Original Poster

greg_68

My bad, I read it as 2 sets of 350w.In which case there is something very … My bad, I read it as 2 sets of 350w.In which case there is something very wrong in the circuit somewhere to be doing that much damage for a blown bulb.

Yea possible. An electrician me thinks. Pain in the ass tho I dont like shelling out £100 odd for something I can usually do myself.

Banned

probably cheaper to buy a new dimmer before shedding out on a sparky, one in my bedroom blew and that was just one bulb, replaced dimmer and its never happened since

whoops didnt read all of the op, see you have replaced the switch already, time for a sparky
    Edited by: "sassie" 6th Oct 2010

Banned

are they halogen bulbs?
    Edited by: "sassie" 6th Oct 2010

Original Poster

sassie

are they halogen bulbs?

Yer halogen bulbs -

Really poor actually, shelled out £25 on a new switch and some bulbs. 2 mins after fitting it blew again. Gutted.

Banned

aircanman

Yer halogen bulbs - Really poor actually, shelled out £25 on a new switch … Yer halogen bulbs - Really poor actually, shelled out £25 on a new switch and some bulbs. 2 mins after fitting it blew again. Gutted.

then you need a higher dimmer, i am sure halogen pull more than what they say so you are probably pulling 700 on a 300 dimmer, if that makes sense, i know because i had some on a dimmer, and changed it to a normal set of lights because of this

sassie

then you need a higher dimmer, i am sure halogen pull more than what they … then you need a higher dimmer, i am sure halogen pull more than what they say so you are probably pulling 700 on a 300 dimmer, if that makes sense, i know because i had some on a dimmer, and changed it to a normal set of lights because of this

same thing happened here with new halogen lamps ended up getting rid of them as they kept blowing

Original Poster

This time I bought 35 Watt bulbs and changed them all. so only 105 per light, making it 210 for the lot. I am sure a 400 watt dimmer should be fine. The wiring is the same as it was 3 years ago when these were installed

So if your not overloading the dimmer as you chose the right size wattage then there's probably something wrong with the wiring!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846211
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764304
      3. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?2235
      4. What do you feel like whinging about today?1917266

See more discussions