Groups

Electrician - Light fitting help

Hi.

I'm replacing a top of stair light fitting and the current wiring has me confused. Its on the end of a loop so 2 cables, both red (i assume live) are connected to the neutral connection and both black (assumed neutral) are connected to the live connector. Is this normal as it doesn't seem right to me? How do I go about connecting the wires to new light fitting (no access to a circuit tester)

I'll post pics in the first post.

Apologies for asking a deal site but you're all knowledgable and trustworthy here.

14 Comments

If you're confused I don't think you ought to be attempting it oO

It's my understanding that you're no longer supposed to do any DIY electrical work. I think it has to be either carried out by a qualified electrician or at the very least be signed off by one. The laws changed a few years ago if my memory serves correctly.

Original Poster

BagABargain78

It's my understanding that you're no longer supposed to do any DIY … It's my understanding that you're no longer supposed to do any DIY electrical work. I think it has to be either carried out by a qualified electrician or at the very least be signed off by one. The laws changed a few years ago if my memory serves correctly.

Just checked the regulations and its down as non-notifiable work. Thanks for the heads up I might just call a sparky and get it sorted.
    Edited by: "MichyM" 10th Feb

Does it have dual switching like top of stairs and bottom?

Original Poster

Dannyrobbo

Does it have dual switching like top of stairs and bottom?

Hi, yes it does.

MichyM

Hi, yes it does.

How many lights are controlled by those switches?

For a light it doesn't actually matter if live and neutral are reversed.

Original Poster

mas99

How many lights are controlled by those switches?For a light it doesn't … How many lights are controlled by those switches?For a light it doesn't actually matter if live and neutral are reversed.

There are 2 lights upstairs. both switch on and off by the same switch at top and bottom of stairs.

MichyM

There are 2 lights upstairs. both switch on and off by the same switch at … There are 2 lights upstairs. both switch on and off by the same switch at top and bottom of stairs.

Thought there must be more than 1 just wanted to check.
    In that case I'd put both red into the Live connector and both black into the N. Make sure you connect the earth (bare copper wires) correctly.

mas99

Thought there must be more than 1 just wanted to check.In that case I'd … Thought there must be more than 1 just wanted to check.In that case I'd put both red into the Live connector and both black into the N. Make sure you connect the earth (bare copper wires) correctly.

Before you do it I would pop out and buy a cheap multimeter (screwfix or toolstation) and make sure that there is no voltage before you start messing with stuff.
    The switches should be on the live feed, ie the power before the lamps, but it might be that they are wrong and the switch is after the lamps. checking the red and black wires for voltage would make sure its safe.
    Actually just make sure power is off at the consumer unit.

Edited by: "mas99" 10th Feb

Original Poster

Hi thanks for the responses, its kinda what I thought but wanted to confirm. I'll get a multimeter and sort it out at the weekend.

2 reds are a switch wire and a loop switch wire to another light. 2 blacks a neutral and loop neutral. Connect 2 reds to live and 2 blacks to neutral.
    No need for a meter, just switch off lights at consumer unit or switch off main switch at consumer unit.
    Looks like whoever connected it before reversed connections for L and N.

Forgot, remember to connect earth. oO

Somebody has already beat me to it. Live from switch and to next light, same for neutral. Just watch if you are taking the actual switches off. Sometimes people don't tag those cables up and you can get yourself into a right mess.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Biscuit addiction1231
      2. Working conditions, workers rights. Standing at work causing pain. Is this …1325
      3. Easyjet - book now or wait?813
      4. Kitchen tap replacement33

See more discussions