Electrolux PowerPlus 2000W not sucking

Found 29th Apr 2012
My mum's electrolux hoover no longer seems to have any suction. Anyone knows what the problem is when a hoover no longer sucks even though it turns on?

It is just over a year old so not very old. I did use it when i was at her house recently and it sucked a small pebble which made a loud noise as it went into the hose. Could this have broken the hoover?

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
22 Comments

Not too sure about Electrolux but with Dysons a lot of issues like this are resolved with a good filter clean/change. I also had a blocked pipe to the brush bar.

Original Poster

Foxy102

Not too sure about Electrolux but with Dysons a lot of issues like this … Not too sure about Electrolux but with Dysons a lot of issues like this are resolved with a good filter clean/change. I also had a blocked pipe to the brush bar.

what is the function of the filter? it sits on the outside of the machine at the back and it looked clean enough. why would that have any effect on the suction?

had this problem with mine, its simple as a tube inside has came off. easy diy.

Drive belt broken!

Original Poster

garryhullah1

had this problem with mine, its simple as a tube inside has came off. … had this problem with mine, its simple as a tube inside has came off. easy diy.

did you dismantle the vacuum? where is the tube situated?

MikeL

Drive belt broken!

could be this, ours was still "working" but not sucking & it turned out the drive belt was broken.

Original Poster

richp

could be this, ours was still "working" but not sucking & it turned out … could be this, ours was still "working" but not sucking & it turned out the drive belt was broken.

i assume that this is not an easy fix? what would cause a drive belt to break?

Banned

mutley1

i assume that this is not an easy fix? what would cause a drive belt to … i assume that this is not an easy fix? what would cause a drive belt to break?

read the manual. Hoovers are really basic and easy to self maintain / fix

removed a cover and found the tube off [ looks a bit like a u bend ] and the cable tie had snapped. its only a couple of screws for a diy

Banned

ITS NOT A HOOVER; ITS AN ELECTROLUX VACUUM[

Banned

faiz123

ITS NOT A HOOVER; ITS AN ELECTROLUX VACUUM[

makes a nice change for you to be accurate

Is it married?

Original Poster

sickly sweet

Is it married?

guess that may be one reason the sucking has stopped. X)

Original Poster

csiman

read the manual. Hoovers are really basic and easy to self maintain / fix

i think electrolux is a cheap brand as the user manual is pretty useless and does not have much instructions in there.

Same thing happened to this woman's vacuum cleaner I live with who gave birth to me once. I ordered 2 spare drive belts off amazon for the electrolux and fitted a replacement in 5 mins. They are pretty dam cheap just enter the serial in.

Original Poster

mogsog

Same thing happened to this woman's vacuum cleaner I live with who gave … Same thing happened to this woman's vacuum cleaner I live with who gave birth to me once. I ordered 2 spare drive belts off amazon for the electrolux and fitted a replacement in 5 mins. They are pretty dam cheap just enter the serial in.

i may give that a go. if only i knew where the drive belts are.
odd way of describing your mum. for a short while i thought you were describing your wife. oO

mutley1

i may give that a go. if only i knew where the drive belts are.odd way … i may give that a go. if only i knew where the drive belts are.odd way of describing your mum. for a short while i thought you were describing your wife. oO

I was going for originality

I'm a terrible lover and I found the drive belt quite easily it's just next to where the brushes are but on the top part of the vacuum cleaner. I would say about 5 screws worth of work. Sometimes it's not that it's broke just that it has stretched and keeps slipping. Don't turn it on well disassembled the motors inside those things are very violent. Likely one of the reasons why they consume the most power out of every domestic appliance.

Original Poster

mogsog

I was going for originality :)I'm a terrible lover and I found the drive … I was going for originality :)I'm a terrible lover and I found the drive belt quite easily it's just next to where the brushes are but on the top part of the vacuum cleaner. I would say about 5 screws worth of work. Sometimes it's not that it's broke just that it has stretched and keeps slipping. Don't turn it on well disassembled the motors inside those things are very violent. Likely one of the reasons why they consume the most power out of every domestic appliance.

don't worry, i won't judge you on your bedroom abilities. X)
i am gonna open up the hoover and have a good look inside. I saw some screws, which I hink if i open them, i will see all the stuff you are referring to. hope it still works when i put it all back.

Maybe its time for son to treat mum to a new machine. If you cant get it going for her

wasting your time as the belt drives the brush, [hence the word drive belt ] remove the screws at the back of the main body and look for a tube or hose off....

if the vaccum wont suck from the hose then this is the problem...;)

Original Poster

garryhullah1

if the vaccum wont suck from the hose then this is the problem...;)

i managed to remove the hose with a screw driver and sure enough, there were 2 balls stuck in it. oO
thanks for the advice. sucks fine now.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions