Found 30th Nov 2014
Hi I'm looking some kind of electronic kit for my dad. Just a wee gift. Last year I got him one of those Haynes engines to build.. Well he enjoyed doing it but only took him an hour or so.. So I know he was looking at a small kit for making an fm radio but I know he would have it built in an hour also. So my question is does anyone know any small kits like these but a little harder.. I was thinking rasberry pi but he doesn't know computers very well and definitely not programing.. A little advice or a point towards a direction would be great

Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
12 Comments

Raspberry Pi ?

rogparki

Raspberry Pi ?

trilock

I was thinking rasberry pi but he doesn't know computers very well and … I was thinking rasberry pi but he doesn't know computers very well and definitely not programing..

Could be a challenge for him ? the Haynes obviously wasn't .:) Maybe Maplins might have something - in my day it was "Heathkit" -build your own transistor radio-

Edited by: "rogparki" 30th Nov 2014

what about something a little more advanced for him such as getting a book like dummies guide to electronics and a general electronics pack including bread board from ebay. they're available quite cheaply with a large selection of varied components if so can do their own thing using the book as a guide

Original Poster

MrT that is actually a great idea with that book and a small starter kit. Thank u for ur time to help

Original Poster

Rogparki.. It was maplins I seen the radio kit but just needed something that would be a little tougher to do... When I was in maplins I asked about more types of kits but they started into the pi board, but said they need a little computer work with them... Which is where he would get stumped.... Thank you for your reply

trilock

MrT that is actually a great idea with that book and a small starter kit. … MrT that is actually a great idea with that book and a small starter kit. Thank u for ur time to help

you are very welcome I did the same thing for a family member last Christmas and they are now doing an electronics degree. Some eBay kits include a projects booklet but that link doesn't so if cost it is an issue have a look at a few others before buying a book etc

The oomlout kids are really well put together:
oomlout.co.uk/col…rdx

We (local hackspace) used to run weekend courses for adults who wanted to learn electronics based around these kits, they have a nice instruction book with guidance on circuits to make and what code to write to get it working.
Is also a good base to add to over time and do more with, once you complete the examples.

Alternatively you could see if you have a local hackspace and contact them to see if they run courses.
Hackspace are groups of people who all contribute to rent a space and then buy equipment to all share, but a lot will run courses, run by the members who will typically be engineers etc, which helps with the clubs finances.
He might find a weekend of tuition along with a kit would be a good way to get started with more in depth electronics.

Original Poster

katg

The oomlout kids are really well put … The oomlout kids are really well put together:http://oomlout.co.uk/collections/arduino/products/arduino-starter-kit-ardxWe (local hackspace) used to run weekend courses for adults who wanted to learn electronics based around these kits, they have a nice instruction book with guidance on circuits to make and what code to write to get it working. Is also a good base to add to over time and do more with, once you complete the examples. Alternatively you could see if you have a local hackspace and contact them to see if they run courses. Hackspace are groups of people who all contribute to rent a space and then buy equipment to all share, but a lot will run courses, run by the members who will typically be engineers etc, which helps with the clubs finances. He might find a weekend of tuition along with a kit would be a good way to get started with more in depth electronics.

I have looked at these kits as well , but my concern is programming.... he first got introduced to computers a year ago and still finds some things tricky... so to even mention writing code might be a push

Original Poster

just want to say thanks to you all for your friendly and informative advice and links

Quadcopter a are fun as they need to be set up and you can use them loads once built
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Best place to buy a domain33
    2. Best watches under £500?66
    3. Buying Christmas tree after Christmas22
    4. What shoes are these?44

See more discussions