Email address with broadband provider

Posted 2nd Oct
I had a thought the other day (I know, that's my yearly quota used up!) about different providers and the associated Email address they give you. I've never changed provider since I first had BB so never considered what happens if you change. Does your old provider's Email address remain active? Can you still access it using an 'online' webmail portal as opposed to local access via 'outlook' etc. - or does it 'die' when you leave them? I don't relish the thought of having to contact EVERY company that Emails me to change to a new one...

I'm hoping many of you guys who regularly change ISP can answer this one for me. I'm considering changing when my contract ends but suddenly thought "Ah, what happens to my Email?"

Thanks in advance, guys.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

27 Comments
The email address should still remain active AFAIK.
jabbatheshed02/10/2019 11:59

The email address should still remain active AFAIK.

Many die at end of associated service, but typically allow short period post-end to make backups / implement alternative arrangements. Virgin allow 90 days as stated here virginmedia.com/hel…cel . BT used to accept minimal monthly payment to retain ongoing access to its BT-branded email service; not sure now.
@Phsycronix which is your ISP ?
AndyRoyd02/10/2019 12:06

Many die at end of associated service, but typically allow short period …Many die at end of associated service, but typically allow short period post-end to make backups / implement alternative arrangements. Virgin allow 90 days as stated here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-how-to-cancel . BT used to accept minimal monthly payment to retain ongoing access to its BT-branded email service; not sure now.@Phsycronix which is your ISP ?

Ok I was basing it on my old sky email address which is still active.
AndyRoyd02/10/2019 12:06

Many die at end of associated service, but typically allow short period …Many die at end of associated service, but typically allow short period post-end to make backups / implement alternative arrangements. Virgin allow 90 days as stated here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-how-to-cancel . BT used to accept minimal monthly payment to retain ongoing access to its BT-branded email service; not sure now.@Phsycronix which is your ISP ?

Hi AndyRoyd. Ok. I'm gonna say it. Before I do I want to point out that I have never had a major problem with them and have always been happy with their service. They get a lot of stick on here (some warranted of course) but I do sing their praises because of my 'personal' experience.

You know who I'm going to say don't you: TALK TALK.
Phsycronix02/10/2019 12:17

Hi AndyRoyd. Ok. I'm gonna say it. Before I do I want to point out that I …Hi AndyRoyd. Ok. I'm gonna say it. Before I do I want to point out that I have never had a major problem with them and have always been happy with their service. They get a lot of stick on here (some warranted of course) but I do sing their praises because of my 'personal' experience.You know who I'm going to say don't you: TALK TALK.

Should be ok to retain but post-contract access is gesture of goodwill as per TT statement two months ago below. Maybe consider migrating to a generic provider such as Gmail that can also access your TT mailbox for as long as the TT mailbox is active.
community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/…930
AndyRoyd02/10/2019 12:26

Should be ok to retain but post-contract access is gesture of goodwill as …Should be ok to retain but post-contract access is gesture of goodwill as per TT statement two months ago below. Maybe consider migrating to a generic provider such as Gmail that can also access your TT mailbox for as long as the TT mailbox is active.https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Email-Webmail/Keeping-tiscali-email-address-with-Talktalk-after-leaving/m-p/2380930#M117078

Thanks AndyR. I hadn't gotten to the stage of reading TT's site to see if it says anything. I have loads of other Email addresses so it's not a great loss if it went. Just the hassle. I just lost my UK2 mailbox and that was a headache! That's what sparked me thinking about the TT one.
Let this be a lesson to everyone reading this.
I am with plusnet and have a plusnet email address. The last time I looked I know that should I move to another ISP plusnet will keep looking after my emails as long as I pay them about £6 per month.
I also have a Gmail address - other webmails are available and I route my plusnet emails through this. I have very gradually migrated my plusnet emails I get to gmail so there are very few left now who still send stuff to my plusnet address.
The point is; with Gmail I can use any ISP, any device and any browser at most parts of the world to retrieve and send emails.
The days have now long gone when you are tied to your ISP for emails.
In any case when you look at the small print most of them say they provide email services for free - meaning you can hardly complain about free stuff that goes wrong.
So for complete hassle-free ease to switch ISP/BB providers make your email address a webmail one.
tardytortoise02/10/2019 12:51

Let this be a lesson to everyone reading this.I am with plusnet and have a …Let this be a lesson to everyone reading this.I am with plusnet and have a plusnet email address. The last time I looked I know that should I move to another ISP plusnet will keep looking after my emails as long as I pay them about £6 per month.I also have a Gmail address - other webmails are available and I route my plusnet emails through this. I have very gradually migrated my plusnet emails I get to gmail so there are very few left now who still send stuff to my plusnet address.The point is; with Gmail I can use any ISP, any device and any browser at most parts of the world to retrieve and send emails.The days have now long gone when you are tied to your ISP for emails.In any case when you look at the small print most of them say they provide email services for free - meaning you can hardly complain about free stuff that goes wrong.So for complete hassle-free ease to switch ISP/BB providers make your email address a webmail one.

Good advice and thanks for the input. Alternatively, I use a local client called eM Client which is like the old "Outlook" service. I can pull my email accounts all in to the one program with a single click. I believe their "Free" version allows accessing two addresses maximum which is enough for some. I can recommend it and have never had an issue yet.
Still got my TT email address and it's more than 12 years since they were my ISP.
yorkie1202/10/2019 13:22

Still got my TT email address and it's more than 12 years since they were …Still got my TT email address and it's more than 12 years since they were my ISP.

Really yorkie12. Thanks for the comment. So, you just access via their website? And they don't charge you a fee?
Phsycronix02/10/2019 13:25

Really yorkie12. Thanks for the comment. So, you just access via their …Really yorkie12. Thanks for the comment. So, you just access via their website? And they don't charge you a fee?

When I left ntl (moved away from a cable area) they were supposed to close my email address with my account. I got a message from Virgin media last year saying they'd missed it, and gave me 90 days to get what I needed from it. That only took them 12 years to notice.
alg02/10/2019 13:37

When I left ntl (moved away from a cable area) they were supposed to close …When I left ntl (moved away from a cable area) they were supposed to close my email address with my account. I got a message from Virgin media last year saying they'd missed it, and gave me 90 days to get what I needed from it. That only took them 12 years to notice.

But they DID then close it, alg?

It's funny isn't it, in this 'digital' world we live in that anything gets "missed" eh? Bit of a different subject but I had a part go ping on my freezer. Engineer came out, diagnosed and ordered the part to be sent directly to me. Two months later, no part. Phoned the company, only to be told "Yes, I can see the engineers report on your a/c. He did order the part and it shows as to be sent to you to fit. That's it. It just hasn't been sent. I don't know why." Happily, I received it on Monday...
Phsycronix02/10/2019 13:45

But they DID then close it, alg?It's funny isn't it, in this 'digital' …But they DID then close it, alg?It's funny isn't it, in this 'digital' world we live in that anything gets "missed" eh? Bit of a different subject but I had a part go ping on my freezer. Engineer came out, diagnosed and ordered the part to be sent directly to me. Two months later, no part. Phoned the company, only to be told "Yes, I can see the engineers report on your a/c. He did order the part and it shows as to be sent to you to fit. That's it. It just hasn't been sent. I don't know why." Happily, I received it on Monday...

I guess so - I'd forgotten the login details, and had a forward rule for any email going to it. But then again, I never got many emails going to that address either.
Phsycronix02/10/2019 13:25

Really yorkie12. Thanks for the comment. So, you just access via their …Really yorkie12. Thanks for the comment. So, you just access via their website? And they don't charge you a fee?

No I can access via their web mail or via good old POP 3 - don't pay a thing
alg02/10/2019 13:37

When I left ntl (moved away from a cable area) they were supposed to close …When I left ntl (moved away from a cable area) they were supposed to close my email address with my account. I got a message from Virgin media last year saying they'd missed it, and gave me 90 days to get what I needed from it. That only took them 12 years to notice.

I've still got an old virgin net email account from the days of dial-up!

I seem to recall receiving an email years ago that it was to be shut down, but still get emails forwarded from that account to my current gmail one.
I'm still using my AOL email address from dial up 20 years ago (can be deleted if left dormant). However I do now have a few others and my own domain. Gmail, Outlook, handle them all. I change ISP's more often than I should as I have a faulty line. I get lots of nice new customer benefits and cashback! Since getting a Huawei 4g router and a Three sim the BB is just a source of income for me now.
Edited by: "HerefordCiderApples" 2nd Oct
My advise would be to set up an email address that's not tied to an ISP, and start changing your email address to on every site/company you've provided it to, and make sure you've got the passwords for every website you use written down somewhere as you won't be able to use email to recover passwords if you forget to change the email.
That reminds me, I must check to see if I've got any emails in my Blueyonder a/c :-)
Yeah, one more word of warning - hope BT don't buy out the free service & threaten to close the only email address you have used for 20 odd years, unless you pay them a relatively high monthly fee, then double that fee!

I do wonder if any of the folk who pay them for the service will get money back seeing it is down. So frustrating not to be able to access emails - that said it is giving me an excuse not to ring EasyJet (to bang my head off the wall about the flight they have decided they cannot be bothered to operate, some 4 months after I booked it).

On here trying to see if there is a realistic alternative to gmail for a non-ISP based webmail?

As for ISP based emails, clearly it is anti-competitive that they cannot be 'ported' exactly like landline & mobile numbers.

I do appreciate that it would be a headache, but designing mobile number portability solutions must have seemed impossible at one point too - OFCOM GET IT SORTED!
jnm2122/10/2019 19:51

Yeah, one more word of warning - hope BT don't buy out the free service & …Yeah, one more word of warning - hope BT don't buy out the free service & threaten to close the only email address you have used for 20 odd years, unless you pay them a relatively high monthly fee, then double that fee!I do wonder if any of the folk who pay them for the service will get money back seeing it is down. So frustrating not to be able to access emails - that said it is giving me an excuse not to ring EasyJet (to bang my head off the wall about the flight they have decided they cannot be bothered to operate, some 4 months after I booked it).On here trying to see if there is a realistic alternative to gmail for a non-ISP based webmail?As for ISP based emails, clearly it is anti-competitive that they cannot be 'ported' exactly like landline & mobile numbers.I do appreciate that it would be a headache, but designing mobile number portability solutions must have seemed impossible at one point too - OFCOM GET IT SORTED!

Hi jnm21. Thanks for your post. I can highly recommend emClient as a 'local' email server. It's free to install and the 'free' version will allow access to two email accounts. The paid version I believe is unlimited. I've used it for several years and it's always performed flawlessly.

emclient.com/

I hope this is of some interest to you.

All the best, Phsy.
I generally stick to webmail, but times like now I wish I didn't! Will have a look! Cheers.
@Phsycronix do you think emClient would work with BT webmail?
jnm2122/10/2019 20:24

@Phsycronix do you think emClient would work with BT webmail?

Basically, emClient is a local-based access point for email accounts so yes, I don't see why not. It's no different to any other email account is it - i.e. you still need to put in the settings for the web-based server and your access info - i.e. your account name and password. Then emClient accesses your account (as you would) and delivers all your mails to your local inboxes. One click does it all.
Cheers - had a quick google for affirmation that it is good & found this - techradar.com/uk/…ent - off to download it! Fingers crossed the POP/SMTP (which I assume this uses) works better than the webmail (down at present).

Also found that they are on TCB: topcashback.co.uk/em-…nt/
Edited by: "jnm21" 22nd Oct
jnm2122/10/2019 20:33

Cheers - had a quick google for affirmation that it is good & found this - …Cheers - had a quick google for affirmation that it is good & found this - https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/free-email-client - off to download it! Fingers crossed the POP/SMTP (which I assume this uses) works better than the webmail (down at present).Also found that they are on TCB: https://www.topcashback.co.uk/em-client/

Well, what have you got to lose eh? As I said, I found it very easy to set up and I never had issue with emClient. It's relatively small, fast and very customizable. They also regularly provide updates too as and when they arise. The only trouble I can think of is when my ISP changed something their end and now every time emClient accesses the account, it throws up a 'certificate' error but I just click to bypass and access anyway. Not really emClient's fault.

All the best, Phsy.
4My 25 year old ntlworld email is still active but left vm 4 years ago. Switched to Gmail and it was far easier than I imagined. Just set your old email to forward emails to your new Gmail and set Gmail to highlight emails from your old email address in red then update with the related companies as and when you get them

Start switching now.

And I agree emclient is superb. Syncs with Gmail seamlessly and love the autobackup. I hate the tagging structure on Gmail so prefer folders in emclient
Edited by: "chocci" 23rd Oct
Phsycronix22/10/2019 20:42

Well, what have you got to lose eh? As I said, I found it very easy to set …Well, what have you got to lose eh? As I said, I found it very easy to set up and I never had issue with emClient. It's relatively small, fast and very customizable. They also regularly provide updates too as and when they arise. The only trouble I can think of is when my ISP changed something their end and now every time emClient accesses the account, it throws up a 'certificate' error but I just click to bypass and access anyway. Not really emClient's fault.All the best, Phsy.

You might be able to bypass those warnings

navigate to the application settings in Menu > Tools > Settings > General > General and under Operations Window uncheck 'Show window when an error occurs'.

You can always check the errors manually in Menu > Tools > Operations under the Errors tab.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants