Email from my ISP, time for VPN?

Found 5th Apr 2017
Please see below, something to worry about? Time for a VPN?

Copyrighted material has been shared using your broadband connection

Hello Xxxx,

Sky, along with other internet service providers is supporting the ‘Get it Right from a Genuine Site’ initiative. This initiative aims to support Britain’s creative industry by helping to reduce copyrighted material being shared illegally and to promote accessing genuine sources for legal content.

We've been informed by owners of copyrighted material that the content below has been shared and uploaded without their permission and we need your help to prevent this happening again.

Here’s a summary of what’s been passed on to us: (details of a prog/date)

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
38 Comments

What did you download?

I'd ignore it personally, unless you're still seeding whatever it is they're talking about. If so, stop seeding and forget about it.

I once had a letter from Warner Bros, that got binned as well.
Edited by: "Ferrit" 5th Apr 2017

hideeasyip from a torrent site haha

Ferrit

I'd ignore it personally, unless you're still seeding whatever it is … I'd ignore it personally, unless you're still seeding whatever it is they're talking about. If so, stop seeding and forget about it.I once had a letter from Warner Bros, that got binned as well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38583357

Although the line about Britains creative industry makes no sense lol.

Original Poster

I haven't downloaded (as such) for a while, but I have been streaming for a few months. The programme referred to by sly was Zootopia.

who's your provider? What was the torrent? Or was it MEGA, Sockshare etc? Details hotel motel

Original Poster

My PC might well be seeding some torrents though! Thanks for the info Ferrit!

holidayinn

I haven't downloaded (as such) for a while, but I have been streaming for … I haven't downloaded (as such) for a while, but I have been streaming for a few months. The programme referred to by sly was Zootopia.

Ah so it was streaming at not downloading?

holidayinn

My PC might well be seeding some torrents though! Thanks for the info … My PC might well be seeding some torrents though! Thanks for the info Ferrit!

Shouldn't be streaming that causes the email, they are only supposed to be monitoring peer-to-peer downloads and not any sort of streaming. So seeding something would be the likely cause
Edited by: "winifer" 5th Apr 2017

Original Poster

jaylovesit

I totally forgot that most likely my PC could be seeding torrents, with Zootopia being one of them! So could be the downloading....

I've never heard of anyone recieving a letter for streaming, unless it was you that uploaded the original streamed content. Sounds like its time to change Internet providers.

I think all the ISP's are being pressurised to clamp down on streaming of torrents.

I just bought pi for £40 for two years. I think it works on 5 devices. So can't really go wrong for £20 a year

jaylovesit

Letter states "sharing" so not streaming (unless the customer is the source of the stream). Far more likely that the customer's IP was noted to be (allegedly) sharing a torrent.

Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago and I just ignored it, nothing else happened. The ISP has been notified so they have to send a letter, but I didn't ever hear about any further action being taken.

Millionvoltage

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

Ditto used them for years. But let's be right - Downloading CWed material is NOT illegal, distributing it for profit is. Think of it this way, if you took a photo of an artwork and placed that on your wall to enjoy would you expect the police to knock on the door ? no you wouldn't. It's not your fault companies can't control the distribution of their property. All you do is take advantage of that. Some left their bedroom curtains open so you enjoyed a free show :-)

Deal4Me91

I've never heard of anyone recieving a letter for streaming, unless it … I've never heard of anyone recieving a letter for streaming, unless it was you that uploaded the original streamed content. Sounds like its time to change Internet providers.

You've never heard of that? In their eyes, streamers are the biggest problem.

PulisOut

Ditto used them for years. But let's be right - Downloading CWed material … Ditto used them for years. But let's be right - Downloading CWed material is NOT illegal, distributing it for profit is. Think of it this way, if you took a photo of an artwork and placed that on your wall to enjoy would you expect the police to knock on the door ? no you wouldn't. It's not your fault companies can't control the distribution of their property. All you do is take advantage of that. Some left their bedroom curtains open so you enjoyed a free show :-)

Downloading and distributing torrents are both technically illegal. Whether for profit or not.

Get VPN.... Sorted.

mtuk1

Downloading and distributing torrents are both technically illegal. … Downloading and distributing torrents are both technically illegal. Whether for profit or not.

​no they're not. torrents are a perfectly legal way of sharing information.

I got same email yesterday from sky. Never happened before so just to be safe i will use a VPN from now on. I only download once in a blue moon anyway

It may be nothing to worry about but yes I would get a VPN subscription if you wish to continue torrenting while subscribing to your current ISP.

jaylovesit

Streaming is downloading, anything you view on the internet is downloaded to your machine, no difference from a stream, .torrent or viewing webpages, that information is received from the net, so you download it.

However the 'Get it Right from a Genuine Site' campaign targets Bittorrent, they basically join the swarm as a regular client, then they note all the IP addresses connected to the swarm, a quick check will reveal where the IP is based and who the provider is, with that info they send a notice to the ISP.
Your ISP then looks to see who that IP address was assigned to at the time of the infringement, your ISP then forwards the notice to you.
None of your details are shared with the Get it Right from a Genuine Site team, they can't without a court order.

PulisOut

But let's be right - Downloading CWed material is NOT illegal

Really ? I think you'll find that downloading copyrighted material is now against the law, It never used to be, It was a civil offence where you had to prove you were innocent, now it's criminal, which means you're entitled to a defence like any other crime, like any other crime though, you can and will be jailed.

i had the same email from virgin http://www.hotukdeals.com/tag/ask/betternet-vpn-any-good-2654154?p=30474366

There are some "streaming" systems that use torrent based protocols, I think "Popcorn time" is one, and even if it doesn't actually store the result permanently, it looks like any other torrent and shares like one too!

Original Poster

Just to reiterate, in my situation anyway, pretty sure the reason was seeding from a Torrent client that caused the issue rather than any streaming as per PKRichie's detailed response. Don't think there is a need for a vpn just yet (for my purposes anyway).

jaylovesit

PulisOut

But let's be right - Downloading CWed material is NOT illegal

I think in the eyes of the law there's a difference between me streaming Granada's Sherlock and downloading the latest cinematic release, Shia's "Man Down" for example, Could having a copy not been seen as intent to distribute?

jaylovesit

I think in the eyes of the law there's a difference between me streaming … I think in the eyes of the law there's a difference between me streaming Granada's Sherlock and downloading the latest cinematic release, Shia's "Man Down" for example, Could having a copy not been seen as intent to distribute?

In the eyes of the law, no.
You go into toys r us and steal a remote control car Vs you stealing a real car = both are theft.

PKRichie

In the eyes of the law, no.You go into toys r us and steal a remote … In the eyes of the law, no.You go into toys r us and steal a remote control car Vs you stealing a real car = both are theft.

Rubbish comparison, unless the alleged thief can knock out limitless numbers of identical replicas of the stolen cars.

PKRichie

In the eyes of the law, no.You go into toys r us and steal a remote … In the eyes of the law, no.You go into toys r us and steal a remote control car Vs you stealing a real car = both are theft.

http://www.digital-digest.com/news-63934-Watching-Pirated-Streams-Is-Legal-Rules-EU-Court.html
curia.europa.eu/jur…jsf?text=&docid=153302&pageIndex=0&doclang=EN&mode=req&dir=&occ=first∂=1&cid=399092

"This week, the CJEU confirmed that the existing EU copyright exemptions for temporary copies applies to viewing and streaming online. Viewing or streaming, the court says, is different to making a copy and would be exempt from copyright laws, but the copies "must be temporary, that they must be transient or incidental in nature and that they must constitute an integral and essential part of a technological process."

Am I misunderstanding this?

PKRichie

So I steal a car from a BMW dealership and I'd get the same treatment as stealing a pack of Chewits from a papershop?

AndyRoyd

Rubbish comparison, unless the alleged thief can knock out limitless … Rubbish comparison, unless the alleged thief can knock out limitless numbers of identical replicas of the stolen cars.

Maybe so but can you think of another way ?
The fact remains that internet copyright offences are now being clamped down hard, laws have been changed, it was a civil offence, it's now criminal.
ISP's are being pressured to help, in the past they were made by court order to block websites, now they'll block them without a court order (see sport streaming sites), many years back Virgin Media agreed to voluntarily send subscribers notification of infringement by policing themselves, the big ISP's joined the 'Get it right from a genuine site'
Shops are being raided and owners prosecuted for helping infringe by selling pre-loaded boxes with the means to download copyrighted media (most famous Kodi).

So to most there is no difference between stealing a car and a packet of chewits, the rightsholders have done enough to make the government take notice, ISP's are becoming the internet police and they are treating it as theft, let's also remember that all emails and web history is logged and stored by your ISP for 2 years.

PKRichie

Maybe so but can you think of another way ?The fact remains that internet … Maybe so but can you think of another way ?The fact remains that internet copyright offences are now being clamped down hard, laws have been changed, it was a civil offence, it's now criminal.ISP's are being pressured to help, in the past they were made by court order to block websites, now they'll block them without a court order (see sport streaming sites), many years back Virgin Media agreed to voluntarily send subscribers notification of infringement by policing themselves, the big ISP's joined the 'Get it right from a genuine site'Shops are being raided and owners prosecuted for helping infringe by selling pre-loaded boxes with the means to download copyrighted media (most famous Kodi).So to most there is no difference between stealing a car and a packet of chewits, the rightsholders have done enough to make the government take notice, ISP's are becoming the internet police and they are treating it as theft, let's also remember that all emails and web history is logged and stored by your ISP for 2 years.

http://www.digital-digest.com/news-63934-Watching-Pirated-Streams-Is-Legal-Rules-EU-Court.html
curia.europa.eu/jur…jsf?text=&docid=153302&pageIndex=0&doclang=EN&mode=req&dir=&occ=first∂=1&cid=399092

"This week, the CJEU confirmed that the existing EU copyright exemptions for temporary copies applies to viewing and streaming online. Viewing or streaming, the court says, is different to making a copy and would be exempt from copyright laws, but the copies "must be temporary, that they must be transient or incidental in nature and that they must constitute an integral and essential part of a technological process."

?

Is the top answer really "streaming is downloading"??!

LOLingtons

Anyone here want to buy a car?

I've just finished downloading it.

Original Poster

benjammin316

Is the top answer really "streaming is downloading"??! LOLingtons

No, you missed the important bit below, which was my scenario.

However, the 'Get it Right from a Genuine Site' campaign targets Bittorrent, they basically join the swarm as a regular client, then they note all the IP addresses connected to the swarm, a quick check will reveal where the IP is based and who the provider is, with that info they send a notice to the ISP.
Your ISP then looks to see who that IP address was assigned to at the time of the infringement, your ISP then forwards the notice to you.
None of your details are shared with the Get it Right from a Genuine Site team, they can't without a court order.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants