Email hacked (ntlworld).

Posted 7th Sep 2020
My mum's email has been hacked first we noticed they tried to get on her Facebook account which she does not use anymore and luckily no personal info on it.

Today we get a email resetting the eBay password for a very old account eBay even confirmed password been changed so I now know they have access to her emails.

I have changed all her main accounts linked over to a Gmail email.

For some reason i can not change the password for ntlworld it no longer lets you login on the virgin media website (no longer VM customer) it only lets you login via the email app on Android phone.

We feel a bit unsafe that they will use the ntlworld email for criminal activity very worried they could have other email accounts to

Any advice apreacated
Community Updates
New Comment

19 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    How do you know it's been hacked.

PS. That's a nice pot plant she has.
    My details are plastered all over the net as I have business website and if you get that it's easy to find my date of birth with a bit of looking about. They really want access to accounts to order things or apply for new accounts. You've done all the right things
    Have you tried contacting VM customer service? As the mail account is on their servers they at your request could just disable it.
    Call virgin and take back control of the account
    Can't answer your question. Just for your interest, run email address here...
    haveibeenpwned.com/
    joyf453607/09/2020 20:41

How do you know it's been hacked.PS. That's a nice pot plant she has.

Shower curtain is looking a bit dated though
    Author
    joyf453607/09/2020 20:41

How do you know it's been hacked.PS. That's a nice pot plant she has.

They keep changing passwords for popular sites like eBay Microsoft etc get a new 1 daily going try ring virgin today
    Author
    wayners07/09/2020 20:28

Can't answer your question. Just for your interest, run email address …Can't answer your question. Just for your interest, run email address here...https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Pwned on 4 breached sites and found no pastes (subscribe to search sensitive breaches

All email and password Compromised data:
    Alf.Garnett08/09/2020 12:54

Pwned on 4 breached sites and found no pastes (subscribe to search …Pwned on 4 breached sites and found no pastes (subscribe to search sensitive breachesAll email and password Compromised data:

That's interesting I guess. I've been done on 2 sites in 2012 and last year but nothing I've been effected by. Some password managers scan the dark Web for you and alert if you have hacked accounts but I use a password safe myself. A paper book is fine as long as its hidden away for passwords. Whatever works for you. It's the same password used on multiple sites that's the worst especially if it's your email password. However. Switch 2 factor authentication on and use Gmail or Microsoft as you have now as that will foil them. We can hope..
    Author
    wayners08/09/2020 14:53

That's interesting I guess. I've been done on 2 sites in 2012 and last …That's interesting I guess. I've been done on 2 sites in 2012 and last year but nothing I've been effected by. Some password managers scan the dark Web for you and alert if you have hacked accounts but I use a password safe myself. A paper book is fine as long as its hidden away for passwords. Whatever works for you. It's the same password used on multiple sites that's the worst especially if it's your email password. However. Switch 2 factor authentication on and use Gmail or Microsoft as you have now as that will foil them. We can hope..

Yes thanks. virgin media are useless I have no way to change the password as won't let me login in site only on email app but can't change password on that.

Tried ring but ask for account number we don't have and online contact is useless now the criminals can use this email and any trouble could come back on mum.

From what I can gather they have her name address and DOB can they do much with that ? Open credit accounts etc thank god her PayPal was in Gmail
    If you're no longer a customer of Virgin, why is the email address still active. I got a note last year telling me they had missed closing mine after the normal 90 days of not being a customer, and gave me a month to get what I needed from it. Only missed that 90 day limit by 13 years....
    Author
    deleted10436208/09/2020 15:21

If you're no longer a customer of Virgin, why is the email address still …If you're no longer a customer of Virgin, why is the email address still active. I got a note last year telling me they had missed closing mine after the normal 90 days of not being a customer, and gave me a month to get what I needed from it. Only missed that 90 day limit by 13 years....

Interesting it's been 15 months since not a VM customer and I'm sure she would of noticed a email but like you say they would of closed it.
    You might be OK then. Maybe virgin have closed (locked) account up a bit. Just basic access to old emails? Might check mine now although nothing linked to virgin email. Never used the account
    Author
    wayners08/09/2020 15:44

You might be OK then. Maybe virgin have closed (locked) account up a bit. …You might be OK then. Maybe virgin have closed (locked) account up a bit. Just basic access to old emails? Might check mine now although nothing linked to virgin email. Never used the account

It's not closed they have managed to try access Facebook (failed) change password eBay (success) change password Microsoft (success) it's odd they never deleted the emails confirming changes which you think they would to try go unnoticed.

Luckily no damage on the accounts above and have changed them to Gmail ther also old accounts that are no longer used.

My main concern is they probably have name address and DOB surely they can't do much with just that ?

We have now written a letter to VM as we can't get hold of them as they're still on holiday
    Author
    Thanks makes me feel much better I will show my dear old mum this message
    You would think that if VM dent access to their email when you leave that they have some sort of legal obligation to restrict/block access. Surely, in this day and age if the account isn't used for XXdays access can be blocked automatically?
    Author
    Whammerhead08/09/2020 16:25

You would think that if VM dent access to their email when you leave that …You would think that if VM dent access to their email when you leave that they have some sort of legal obligation to restrict/block access. Surely, in this day and age if the account isn't used for XXdays access can be blocked automatically?

The account was still being used a little as it's been with her 20 years but most new accounts were used in Gmail.

All the accounts they trying to get in to are unused accounts but still not ideal in the wrong hands luckily no PayPal account linked was one years ago but i think PayPal have shut this down I hope.

We are a point now where we don't need the email and if the hackers didn't have access we could forget about it and let it becomes inactive but now I need to keep a eye on it white they have access.

This has been a wake up call to be much more secure on line 2 step verification is a must
    Author
    The scumbags opened a wish account and all in Russian hoping virgin close it in few days.

Still trying get in Facebook

Does anyone know if this is done by some bot software ? Weird how get random stuff happening
    Author
    VM have closed the email all done by a forum admin within a few hours of the admin replying to me.

So for any one get this problem post on virgin media forum as the phones and live chat is useless
's avatar