Groups

Email reader on PC

Looking for some help please.
    Our firms email servers are overflowing and need have some space made. This means the outlook accounts will have old mail deleted.
    I'm looking for a mail client that sits on the PC that I can transfer all my old mail, to be organised into folders. The problem is the email client/app must not connect to the internet. Essentially its a email reader/organiser I need.
    Any Idea how to do this?

Thanks

11 Comments

Why can you not export the old emails to PST files? PST's are stored on the local PC (or on a file server) and the emails are no longer stored in the Exchange mailbox (I assume your running MS Exchange If using Outlook)

Shouldn't your network/system administrator be sorting it out for you ?
    You need to export the emails and load them into any email app. Why do you specify offline as most email software comes with an offline mode ?

Original Poster

It support = exrcement.
    I'm looking to export a date range from outlook. I suppose I could export it all if that's not possible. But in a years time I would like to export another year and add it to the 'desktop' client.
    What I don't understand is how to install a mail client and permanently disable any external input/output other that a manual import.
    The mail content is sensitive and holds client data so cannot go onto an insecure external server. I don't have access to firewalls.

Edit. I guess if I don't set up any MAPI or POP3 there wont be any traffic?

Edited by: "Boxer" 19th Aug 2016

What client are you currently using?
    In outlook you can just export/archive the full mailbox into a file then import or attach it.
    Once the data is in the file it's offline so it's not linked in anyway to the exchange server.

Any company that stores any data on a permanent basis inside emails is just asking for trouble. Double trouble if that is sensitive and/or holds data that can identify individuals or companies. The company has a legal responsibility to care for that data and that includes deleting old data. Do you have access to the companies policy on data storage and protection?
    Business e-mails both in and out should be regarded as communication tools - not data storage tools.
    Should someone approach your company and submit a Subject Access Request (SAR) I would hope your designated Date Protection officer would know of all the places to look - anyone who circumvents the company policy would be better working at the OK Corral.

Edited by: "tardytortoise" 19th Aug 2016

Original Poster

tardytortoise

Any company that stores any data on a permanent basis inside emails is … Any company that stores any data on a permanent basis inside emails is just asking for trouble. Double trouble if that is sensitive and/or holds data that can identify individuals or companies. The company has a legal responsibility to care for that data and that includes deleting old data. Do you have access to the companies policy on data storage and protection?Business e-mails both in and out should be regarded as communication tools - not data storage tools.Should someone approach your company and submit a Subject Access Request (SAR) I would hope your designated Date Protection officer would know of all the places to look - anyone who circumvents the company policy would be better working at the OK Corral.

Not really interested in all that. I would think the contracted IT support company understands all that stuff. I want all my mails as proof of incidents and correspondence. Deleting all that is whats wrong from my angle.
    Thanks for the input tho.

Original Poster

Uridium

Why can you not export the old emails to PST files? PST's are stored on … Why can you not export the old emails to PST files? PST's are stored on the local PC (or on a file server) and the emails are no longer stored in the Exchange mailbox (I assume your running MS Exchange If using Outlook)

I need to access them as and when. Dont want to have to import them every time I do search.

Boxer

I need to access them as and when. Dont want to have to import them every … I need to access them as and when. Dont want to have to import them every time I do search.

You can leave PST's mounted in Outlook as personal folders.

Boxer

Not really interested in all that. I would think the contracted IT … Not really interested in all that. I would think the contracted IT support company understands all that stuff. I want all my mails as proof of incidents and correspondence. Deleting all that is whats wrong from my angle.Thanks for the input tho.

Have you ever thought of printing them - not necessarily to paper but electronically and then storing/filing them in such a way that they can be easily recovered when necessary?
    Have you ever wondered what you would do if your e-mails were lost forever? How would the business you work for survive if this were to happen? No doubt you will tell me about the backups - have they ever been tested? And if you were to do what you are thinking about would you back that up also? How can you ever find out if one e-mail has not been overtaken by events in another e-mail?
    I have rough idea about your requirements? Do others in the company have similar requirements? Have they also got their home spun possible solutions. I seriously suggest you articulate your business requirements up and across the chain of command. Mention all the problems you are facing and those you foresee. Don't even try to mention possible solutions - leave others to do that.
    A few years ago now an old colleague had exactly the same problems you had. He was the most untidy disorganised person I know. Soeone showed him how he could save his outlook mail into PST files. He then stored them onto endless memory sticks he could get his hands on. He would spend almost all day at times trying to find an e-mail he had a vague recollection about. Business nightmare - walking risk magnet.

We use QAM Archive, works really well and fully integrates into Outlook as just another folder your mail is stored in.

software.dell.com/pro…er/
    Edited by: "dcx_badass" 19th Aug 2016

another thought....you haven't mentioned what your Email server is, but you mentioned you are using Outlook as the mail client so chances are it's MS Exchange?...so question has to be asked...if it's an older version of Exchange have your Exchange mailboxes databases been defragged..??

Many smaller companies with just a couple of in-house IT bods often don't realise it needs to be done but it will recover a lot of lost storage space space. it does carry a risk though so you need to ensure you have a decent backup of the DB's and will need downtime.

as dcx_badass mentioned there are quite a few mail archiving programs out there, many will hook into AD and Exchange to provide the same level of security and access control on the archives that the actual mailbox has

Edited by: "Uridium" 19th Aug 2016
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Ripped off by GearBest, VERY ANGRY!2636
      2. Family Spotify account21
      3. Legal advice22
      4. Washer Dryer44

See more discussions