Email scam

Hi all,

Can anyone help me with this.

My friend has received an email from a hotmail address with my name on telling them to click on a link. Have I been hacked in any way?

11 Comments

what are the contents of this email and how is it from?

Also, did your friend click on this link!

Original Poster

It was a random hotmail account but from me as the name. The link said "you'll appreciate this". No they didn't click on the link, they deleted the message.

Banned

funny this I've just this minute had an email saying dear sir/madam your p60 couldn't see the rest as I did not click to open it I mean let's be honest if they don't no my name and if I'm male or female it's a scam.

Yes, you should change your password.

Don't worry about it. Your name is quite common so if anything it was a coincident.

It's more likely your friend has been hacked - with them being able to identify your name from their contact list

Either facebook or other social media or address book

No they picked up your email and name from the same **** forum who let google into their profile (members) listing page.

Phiphil is right, its spoofing your name from their contact list. Your friend needs to do a good quality virus and malwarebytse scan. You should probably do the same if you've been exchanging emails without protection!
Edited by: "Argoj" 11th Nov 2016

Argoj

Phiphil is right, its spoofing your name from their contact list. Your … Phiphil is right, its spoofing your name from their contact list. Your friend needs to do a good quality virus and malwarebytse scan. You should probably do the same if you've been exchanging emails without protection!

OMG they've been doing it without protection

https://media.giphy.com/media/oBD9At2lhuQMg/giphy.gif
^^^^markpj777^^^^

Change your password and log out of all active sessions through the settings i feel like this is becoming quite common

although not definitive, this website will tell you if your account was compromised in any of the major data breaches (e.g. talk talk, adobe) haveibeenpwned.com/
i *think* they hope a certain proportion of people use the same password everywhere, so if they have your email address and password as used on one site, they may attempt to use it somewhere where it can be of use e.g. amazon.

i'm not sure how it arises that you get spam from names in your address book, i'm not sure what side has been compromised there, but i've seen it in my junk folder before

i also maintain separate email address - one in my real name for personal correspondence, a slight variation for accounts with companies i trust, and then another one for signing up to sites that don't have proven, solid track records (e.g. if there was a new shop with a deal on here and 10% off if you sign up to the newsletter, it's not going in my 2 main accounts)
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Avoiding Car hire excess (Tenerife)46
    2. seller asked for IMEI87
    3. How much would you pay for this chair?1925
    4. Advertised on Gumtree33

See more discussions