Groups

Email (Thunderbird/outlook) + Tiscali connection

My friend has their broadband from Tiscali, which it dials up (speedtouch) when youconnect to internet. Its not dial up, but thats what it does to connect.

Anyway when I click on IE - it connects and its no problem. However, when I try to connect to Thunderbird or outlook (tried both) it will not dial up/connect citing error 691. If I connect to the internet first - either by connecting via IE or connecting in the icon at the bottom right then click on outlook/firefox I have no prob. But it wont let me connect to the intenet directly from the email program I am using! Please help - will rep!

3 Comments

Original Poster

Anyone??

I assume when you run Internet explorer you see some sort of connect box pop up which then connects and takes you online, is this box Tiscali branded or does it look like a generic Windows one? If it's the latter, open control panel -> network connections and you should see the Tiscali dialup broadband connection there, if you double click it can you get online that way? If so, is that connection the default one?

Unfortunately I'm having to make a lot of guesses here so I can't be very accurate, my thought is that you have more than one dialup broadband connection one of which is not configured properly or Tiscali have their own connection software which is set up to connect through Internet Explorer only.

John

Original Poster

Johnmcl7;6971231

I assume when you run Internet explorer you see some sort of connect box … I assume when you run Internet explorer you see some sort of connect box pop up which then connects and takes you online, is this box Tiscali branded or does it look like a generic Windows one? If it's the latter, open control panel -> network connections and you should see the Tiscali dialup broadband connection there, if you double click it can you get online that way? If so, is that connection the default one?Unfortunately I'm having to make a lot of guesses here so I can't be very accurate, my thought is that you have more than one dialup broadband connection one of which is not configured properly or Tiscali have their own connection software which is set up to connect through Internet Explorer only.John

Thanks for the reply John. Yes its a pop up box, which asks for you to click ok. I think its a tiscali one but cant be sure! IE asks for this - but the email programs dont ask for it? Yes Tiscali the default one and if I go to Network connections I can connect it that way. Its just that IE prompts you to logon but email programs wont!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 37 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk2121
      2. Tv choice magazine Issue 3977
      3. Magazine competitions - Issue 38 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1414
      4. Win a Free minion usb stick22

See more discussions