Emails from Chinese Amazon sellers asking to list them on HUKD?

Found 15th Oct 2017Edited by:"choober"
Has anybody else received emails from Chinese Amazon sellers asking to list them on HUKD?

I hesitate to call them S.P.A.M. because they were very targeted. They also came straight into my inbox rather than being recognised by the faultless filter I've used and helped train for over 12 years.

This is concerning for many reasons, but the two most concerning: 1) the email I use on HUKD isn't shown anywhere on the site. 2) even if they guessed/bought my email, how do they know I'm a HUKD user?

Could it be that HUKD has been hacked and our emails and account data has been leaked?

2813069.jpg
2813069.jpg

Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
"Be wary of Greeks (Chinese ?) bearing gifts! " . HUKD allows, even promotes various Chinese sellers ( E Global Central , Gearbest , Banggood etc ) on this site .

You don't have to search very far (on this site and many others ) to realise the pitfalls of buying pricey electronic items from China .

I presume these sellers are very good at paying their referral fees to HUKD , otherwise why allow these deals to be posted considering the amount of complaints and negative feedback?

Whether these companies have also been allowed to get too close to HUKDs systems bears considering due to the increasing amount of "Spam" linked (in some way to HUKD) members are receiving .

I realise HUKD is a profit driven organisation these days - far from the members site it used to be . I believe that any Chinese deal should come with a "Health Warning " - Import duties and VAT to pay - No EU warranty - no feasible way of returning - "restocking fees " etc .

Not saying the spam emails and HUKD allowing ,even promoting these Chinese deals is connected , but it is at least food for thought and HUKD should be very concerned and at the least put the "health warning" on any Chinese deal .
Its concerning I know a few have got these emails. Id be willing to guess all of our emails have been sold by the site many times over and that’s how they’ve got it
15 Comments
Hello @choober,

Thanks for making us aware - we're looking into this now
"Be wary of Greeks (Chinese ?) bearing gifts! " . HUKD allows, even promotes various Chinese sellers ( E Global Central , Gearbest , Banggood etc ) on this site .

You don't have to search very far (on this site and many others ) to realise the pitfalls of buying pricey electronic items from China .

I presume these sellers are very good at paying their referral fees to HUKD , otherwise why allow these deals to be posted considering the amount of complaints and negative feedback?

Whether these companies have also been allowed to get too close to HUKDs systems bears considering due to the increasing amount of "Spam" linked (in some way to HUKD) members are receiving .

I realise HUKD is a profit driven organisation these days - far from the members site it used to be . I believe that any Chinese deal should come with a "Health Warning " - Import duties and VAT to pay - No EU warranty - no feasible way of returning - "restocking fees " etc .

Not saying the spam emails and HUKD allowing ,even promoting these Chinese deals is connected , but it is at least food for thought and HUKD should be very concerned and at the least put the "health warning" on any Chinese deal .
Its concerning I know a few have got these emails. Id be willing to guess all of our emails have been sold by the site many times over and that’s how they’ve got it
I've also had similar emails.
Never received an email on the email I have registered at hukd, then again I have many phone calls about products I don't have eg dyson vac, sky TV, British gas, BT.
Law of averages, you hit enough people with enough spam, your bound to get some right.
rogparki25 m ago

otherwise why allow these deals to be posted considering the amount of …otherwise why allow these deals to be posted considering the amount of complaints and negative feedback?

HUKD doesn't generally ban sellers for limited customer service and there are plenty of examples from the UK and around the world. Very springs to mind currently, and Pixmania a few years ago.

It's a sensible policy for a deals site, the companies that spend the least on after sales service will more often have the lower prices up front. It's up to the user to device what level of trade-off they're happy with.
hukd's privacy policy says they don't sell emails.

Most likely you clicked a referral link to amazon from hukd, and amazon probably passes these statistics/data on to sellers so when you buy something from amazon via hotukdeals sellers know
The hot UK dealz should be a dead giveaway
oliverkennedy102 m ago

The hot UK dealz should be a dead giveaway

You mean like someone saying "Hot UK Deals" into a phone/computer ? What would you say that would be printed as ?
rogparki6 m ago

You mean like someone saying "Hot UK Deals" into a phone/computer ? What …You mean like someone saying "Hot UK Deals" into a phone/computer ? What would you say that would be printed as ?

With out Z
oliverkennedy103 m ago

With out Z

Your voice recognition software must be really good Have you tried it ? -Think about it .
rogparki10 m ago

Your voice recognition software must be really good Have you …Your voice recognition software must be really good Have you tried it ? -Think about it .

More than likely it is because of the below popular site. Might regret posting this link though with influx of "dealz" now lol.

hot-china-dealz.com/

Along with a German Site.
gadgetdealz.de/pag…/2/
I also have received an email similar to this 2 days ago
murtgurge8 h, 9 m ago

hukd's privacy policy says they don't sell emails.Most likely you clicked …hukd's privacy policy says they don't sell emails.Most likely you clicked a referral link to amazon from hukd, and amazon probably passes these statistics/data on to sellers so when you buy something from amazon via hotukdeals sellers know

They might as well be selling our emails then, privacy policy or not. If it’s that easy to identify that we are members from the links clicked.
Lets just get one thing straight - these sellers have absolutely no access to any info about our users other than your username, either directly or by proxy. Do they target deal posters and Facebook users? Absolutely. @eslick I also want to categorically point out that this has not come from hotukdeals staff.
They're often trying their luck but I can appreciate your concern in this instance -

Far from endorsing or encouraging this kind of seller, we class this as spam and any retailer engaging in this sort of practice is banned from hotukdeals. Indeed, last week one of the bigger / more popular brands were suspended indefinitely for trying to incentivise posts.

@choober it'd be great if you could forward the email trail to us, please! Use the contact form below and once you receive a reply you'll be able to forward it on.
As an aside, I think you should maybe google your email as it's publicly listed on a couple of websites (although that doesn't solve our issue here, clearly!)
Edited by: "juliet_bravo" 16th Oct 2017

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants