Embarrassed to be British?

Found 24th Dec 2017Edited by:"Epicurean"
For as long as I can remember, I've been mildly-ashamed to be British.
This passport-colour nonsense now has me completely embarrassed too.

Are there others, here, who feel that we're the laughing-stock of the developed world?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Ashamed? Embarrassed? Laughing stock?

Your pathetic post pretty much covers all of those things, quite neatly.

Get a grip, for goodness sake, and sort yourself out.

And of course, a very Merry Christmas and the warmest of seasons greetings to you and yours
I would be more ashamed to be from a country that it is acceptable to stone people to death or throw them from tall buildings just for being gay, or from a country that carries out female genital mutilation of young girls, especially as it is normally carried out with no pain relief.
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 24th Dec 2017
I'm English so never had this issue
The only thing that’s making us look good at the moment is direct comparison to the US.
48 Comments
The only thing that’s making us look good at the moment is direct comparison to the US.
Tbh I've never really considered myself to be British. However I don't feel embarrassed by being from the UK. As much as I don't agree with the way we are going i still feel like we have a good standing in the world and ignoring past colonialism feel we have had a positive effect on the world when it comes to engineering and science.
We were once accurately described as Europe's America. Brexit has definitely reinforced that view. I think other Europeans feel a combination of revulsion, confusion and pity for us.
Ashamed? Embarrassed? Laughing stock?

Your pathetic post pretty much covers all of those things, quite neatly.

Get a grip, for goodness sake, and sort yourself out.

And of course, a very Merry Christmas and the warmest of seasons greetings to you and yours
I’m proud to British. Never considered myself to be a European. And as for the colour of the new passport, what’s wrong with blue? (Although a delicate shade of aquamarine might have been nice)
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 24th Dec 2017
Never felt proud to British nor have I ever felt ashamed.
Never felt proud to be British either, especially when abroad and you know the people being the loudest, antisocial, *insert swear words here* are always British.
No I’m not British and never have been...thankfully
Why feel ashamed. Only European kingdom not invaded in the last century. Only issue with Britain is that we don't do enough for ourselves now. We need to be less reliant on other countries for food and resources. We need our own steel and power production increasing.
British and proud
Not going into the political ********
I'm to busy enjoying the festive season
Merry Christmas
Edited by moderator: "removed swear word" 24th Dec 2017
I would be more ashamed to be from a country that it is acceptable to stone people to death or throw them from tall buildings just for being gay, or from a country that carries out female genital mutilation of young girls, especially as it is normally carried out with no pain relief.
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 24th Dec 2017
there's so much to be proud of being British. From top emergency services, nhs, welfare state. cultural diversity,innovation. one of the least corrupt countries. I can go on and on. I've been to many countries always glad to come home. I'm not British by the way I'm from Europe but call GB my home now.
Edited by: "discozohan" 24th Dec 2017
Not from Britain originally but have lived here since very young and I think that the best thing to do is work and invest in a country like this and retire in much cheaper although comfortable countries
benjammin31646 m ago

You're English, British, European and a citizen of the world.
I'm proud of being English, I'd rather us be Americas 51st state than a European state. The younger generation have been "conditioned by the EU".
kester7627 m ago

Why feel ashamed. Only European kingdom not invaded in the last century. …Why feel ashamed. Only European kingdom not invaded in the last century. Only issue with Britain is that we don't do enough for ourselves now. We need to be less reliant on other countries for food and resources. We need our own steel and power production increasing.

I don't think Sweden or Spain were invaded in 20th century. Not sure why the kingdom distinction but if you remove that I think there's also Ireland, Portugal and Switzerland.
The whole passport thing is ridiculously petty. It's sort of: "Hey, we can't get the deal we wanted for Brexit, in fact we can't get a decent deal at all, but at least we can have blue passports again." I feel like slow clapping everyone who thinks a blue passport is worth the disaster that is the Brexit negotiation process.
Passports used to be dark blue before we joined Europe and were only changed colour to red to be the same as with the rest of european union, it makes sense to make them blue again, seems like anything to do with brexit just gets seen negatively by the media.
Edited by: "matthews9479" 24th Dec 2017
My passport can be sky blue pink for all I care , as long as passport control still let me through . Nope couldn't care less if the colour of it means people know I'm English , but then I actually quite love our country , yes there are all sorts of problems , however there are also all sorts of amazing things going on here too.
bryanhaines39943 m ago

I don't think Sweden or Spain were invaded in 20th century. Not sure why …I don't think Sweden or Spain were invaded in 20th century. Not sure why the kingdom distinction but if you remove that I think there's also Ireland, Portugal and Switzerland.

Doubt the need to invade a neutral country unless you need to get to another through it but I see your point. Anyway Gibraltar means we can cross off Spain
England is the greatest Country on the planet, Fact.
Whether proud to be British or not, whether supporting Brexit or not, there’s no doubt we are embarrassing ourselves on the international political stage at the moment. Our current cabinet is a complete bunch of muppets. Our MEPs weren’t much better.
So it's Christmas Eve and all you have to moan about is the colour of a passport
There are people dying and people who have real issues, try counting your blessings, you have such futile problems because you're living in a country you're ashamed of.

Seeing how you have the free time to moan about a pointless topic, why not go help out down your local soup kichen and see how people with real issues are doing today, people who are trying to survive on a daily business, who can't afford toys for their kids, never mind a **** passport.
Edited by moderator: "removed swear word" 24th Dec 2017
kester762 h, 3 m ago

Why feel ashamed. Only European kingdom not invaded in the last century. …Why feel ashamed. Only European kingdom not invaded in the last century. Only issue with Britain is that we don't do enough for ourselves now. We need to be less reliant on other countries for food and resources. We need our own steel and power production increasing.

Might help that we're an island at the far edge of Europe. I don't think anyone invaded Ireland either in the last century for the same reason.

It makes no sense to ramp up mining. I don't know why people think so highly of steel production. It's just a commodity. We can't possibly compete with Chinese prices, for example. Same with agriculture. We're not actually reliant on other countries as we produce way more food than we need. Can't remember how much we waste, but it's ridiculously high.
kester7657 m ago

Doubt the need to invade a neutral country unless you need to get to …Doubt the need to invade a neutral country unless you need to get to another through it but I see your point. Anyway Gibraltar means we can cross off Spain

What happened with Gibraltar? I can see there were some incidents relating to the Spanish civil war but they didn't lead to either UK or Germany invading Spain.
_-Richie-_24th Dec 2017

So it's Christmas Eve and all you have to moan about is the colour of a …So it's Christmas Eve and all you have to moan about is the colour of a passport There are people dying and people who have real issues, try counting your blessings, you have such futile problems because you're living in a country you're ashamed of.Seeing how you have the free time to moan about a pointless topic, why not go help out down your local soup kichen and see how people with real issues are doing today, people who are trying to survive on a daily business, who can't afford toys for their kids, never mind a **** passport.

I'm not sure that anyone was moaning about the colour of a passport but rather the absurdity of doing so. However, aren't you just as guilty moaning about a thread on misc when x is worse than that thread. Using the relative privation logical fallacy only the person who is the worst off on the planet is allowed to moan about anything.
I certainly dont think we are the greatest nation anywhere, unlike the americans who think america is the best nation in the world. They are so full of themselves those americans.

however, i am proud to be british and i dont think we are the laughing stock either, but respected around the world.

i think it is a good idea to change the colour of the british passport when we leave the eu to show that we are no longer part of the eu. (I am not a brexit supporter.)
SOUTHWALES2 h, 44 m ago

I would be more ashamed to be from a country that it is acceptable to …I would be more ashamed to be from a country that it is acceptable to stone people to death or throw them from tall buildings just for being gay, or from a country that carries out female genital mutilation of young girls, especially as it is normally carried out with no pain relief.

You say this about FGM, but don't say anything about the circumcision of baby boys which is allowed in this country.
Why?
Well known fact both Jesus and God are English.
Graham197915 m ago

Well known fact both Jesus and God are English.

And had blue passports
Alf Garnett & The TV Licence

You could be American, now that's shame.
bjrosl2 h, 32 m ago

Might help that we're an island at the far edge of Europe. I don't think …Might help that we're an island at the far edge of Europe. I don't think anyone invaded Ireland either in the last century for the same reason.It makes no sense to ramp up mining. I don't know why people think so highly of steel production. It's just a commodity. We can't possibly compete with Chinese prices, for example. Same with agriculture. We're not actually reliant on other countries as we produce way more food than we need. Can't remember how much we waste, but it's ridiculously high.

It's cheaper but not guaranteed quality plus I'm talking about the foundries and forges. Britain made some of the best steel in the world. Best to be self reliant than suffer if that market gets shut off to us or quality takes a nose dive.
My parents migrated to this country a long time ago.
Im born n bred here therefore consider myself British even though I have a different skin colour. Everyday I count my blessings in terms of free education the NHS and democracy.The positives outweigh the negatives. There is nothing to be ashamed of being a British Citizen IMO.
bryanhaines3992 h, 40 m ago

What happened with Gibraltar? I can see there were some incidents relating …What happened with Gibraltar? I can see there were some incidents relating to the Spanish civil war but they didn't lead to either UK or Germany invading Spain.

Still occupying a part of Spain
kester765 m ago

Still occupying a part of Spain

Since 1704, you said invaded in the last century.
And the rest of the story, the tender for company to produce passports happens shortly after we leave, so it will happen anyway.

Only the snowflakes are making a big deal of this.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants