EMERGENCY

Posted 23rd Oct
my 2 year old lobbed the bucket of paint from stairs and it's gone all over my carpet

I've tried removing it with turps but it's only removed a part of it

how do I get it off my carpet please?

3313773-9Gtaj.jpg3313773-IiEGb.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Rather than gettting a cleaner in, it might be cheaper to have those few steps re-carpeted.
efc_4ever23/10/2019 13:46

This is the paint. It was a full tub sealed and he pushed it and boom it's …This is the paint. It was a full tub sealed and he pushed it and boom it's all over[Image]

If it helps at all - it's a lovely shade of blue!

Seriously though, I hope you can get something sorted. Thinking of blu, I mean you...
This is the sort of thing house insurance is for...
42 Comments
This is the sort of thing house insurance is for...
Try this
toolstation.com/tra…BwE

You could get a professional carpet cleaner let them look at it.
I assume it's gloss/oil based? If so then you just don't remove it I'm afraid.
Edited by: "deeky" 23rd Oct
If it’s still wet you could use an extractor
Lobbed the bucket
Best carpet cleaner I have used is this
38734630-QEmwR.jpg
Rather than gettting a cleaner in, it might be cheaper to have those few steps re-carpeted.
Oh gawd!

I know it's too little/too late but the only way would have been at moment of accident to flood the area (keep it wet) and use an old wet-vac. Keep wetting the area constantly until most of it is off.

Maybe white spirit and a hella lot of scrubbing! I think as deeky says - it's gonna be a toughie...
cliosport6523/10/2019 13:38

Lobbed the bucket

2 year old beast, never leave paint around with kids in the house. My little one painted the TV with sudocrem before
JohnnyRoller23/10/2019 13:41

2 year old beast, never leave paint around with kids in the house. My …2 year old beast, never leave paint around with kids in the house. My little one painted the TV with sudocrem before

won't happen again
Thanks everyone . Might try a carpet cleaner as suggested but if that fails maybe have to look at getting new carpet
deeky23/10/2019 13:34

I assume it's gloss/oil based? If so then you just don't remove it I'm …I assume it's gloss/oil based? If so then you just don't remove it I'm afraid.

This is the paint. It was a full tub sealed and he pushed it and boom it's all over

38734712-D2CLQ.jpg
JohnnyRoller23/10/2019 13:41

2 year old beast, never leave paint around with kids in the house. My …2 year old beast, never leave paint around with kids in the house. My little one painted the TV with sudocrem before

Lol sudocrem. Did it fix the wall

This is the paint. It was a full tub sealed and he pushed it and boom it's …This is the paint. It was a full tub sealed and he pushed it and boom it's all over[Image]

Yeah, that's emulsion which is water based. You might get most of it out but you will just have to keep wetting and soaking it up a bit at a time. Don't keep scrubbing it you'll ruin the pile.

If it helps at all - it's a lovely shade of blue!

Seriously though, I hope you can get something sorted. Thinking of blu, I mean you...
Phsycronix23/10/2019 13:51

If it helps at all - it's a lovely shade of blue! Seriously though, I …If it helps at all - it's a lovely shade of blue! Seriously though, I hope you can get something sorted. Thinking of blu, I mean you...

deeky23/10/2019 13:50

Yeah, that's emulsion which is water based. You might get most of it out …Yeah, that's emulsion which is water based. You might get most of it out but you will just have to keep wetting and soaking it up a bit at a time. Don't keep scrubbing it you'll ruin the pile.

That's what we have been doing for now. You should have seen it when it first happened. The pics are after we soaked most of it up
Edited by: "efc_4ever" 23rd Oct
adamderak23/10/2019 13:47

Lol sudocrem. Did it fix the wall

It basically turned the TV into a wall, as that was all it was good for after it leaked behind the screen around the edges
Finish painting, then just buy new carpet
JohnnyRoller23/10/2019 13:55

It basically turned the TV into a wall, as that was all it was good for …It basically turned the TV into a wall, as that was all it was good for after it leaked behind the screen around the edges

You can't leave anything anywhere can you with kids in the house. Even if I hide it or put it out of the way they still manage to find it
efc_4ever23/10/2019 13:56

You can't leave anything anywhere can you with kids in the house. Even if …You can't leave anything anywhere can you with kids in the house. Even if I hide it or put it out of the way they still manage to find it

Let’s just say they have great imagination at that age...
I can quite imagine; along with the paint; the air was pretty 'blue' at the time too...

"Fraggin', raggin', grrrrr!"
Something similar happened to my sister a couple of years ago. Hopefully you have accidental damage cover on your insurance. If so contact your insurance company and explain to them what has happened and ask them for cleaning advice, do whatever they say if they do offer any rather than just go in blindly with solutions or potions. If the carpet still wont clean then make your claim explaining on the forms you followed their advice. My sister fell foul of small print on her claim because as they said she had tried to clean it herself and so absolved themselves of liability.
Just something to consider.
Edited by: "oliviasgrandad" 23rd Oct
Got any
38735217-uKjmL.jpg?

That's pretty bloody brilliant. That will get most of it out.
I’m a painter - you’re not getting this out, in fact with most house paints terps just spreads it around more house insurance, accidental damage insurance or a rug to hide the issue is you’re only hope. I wouldn’t even bother with professional carpet cleaners .
oliviasgrandad23/10/2019 14:04

Something similar happened to my sister a couple of years ago. Hopefully …Something similar happened to my sister a couple of years ago. Hopefully you have accidental damage cover on your insurance. If so contact your insurance company and explain to them what has happened and ask them for cleaning advice, do whatever they say if they do offer any rather than just go in blindly with solutions or potions. If the carpet still wont clean then make your claim explaining on the forms you followed their advice. My sister fell foul of small print on her claim because as they said she had tried to clean it herself and so absolved themselves of liability.Just something to consider.

That sounds nuts quite frankly. I can't see how an insurance company can remove their responsibility because you "tried" to clean it up? Anyone would. You wouldn't just let it sit, spreading and soaking in, would you? I guess the lesson here is to tell them you haven't touched it...

Not to override what you have said but I also wouldn't contact an insurance company UNLESS you intend to claim. Just like vehicle insurance - even if you phone them for advice with NO intention to claim, it can be noted on your file and count against you come renewal date. It is seen as an 'attempt' and you 'could' have claimed - therefore you are classed as a higher risk for future cover.

Take what I say with a pinch of salt and incredulity but I've been through it myself and now would only advise anyone to ONLY contact an insurance provider if you are wishing to PROCEED with a claim. In your sister's case, I'd have taken them to task legally over trying to wiggle out as they did. If she let them get away with that then she gave up too quickly!

Insurance companies = devil's little helpers.
Phsycronix23/10/2019 14:49

That sounds nuts quite frankly. I can't see how an insurance company can …That sounds nuts quite frankly. I can't see how an insurance company can remove their responsibility because you "tried" to clean it up? Anyone would. You wouldn't just let it sit, spreading and soaking in, would you? I guess the lesson here is to tell them you haven't touched it...Not to override what you have said but I also wouldn't contact an insurance company UNLESS you intend to claim. Just like vehicle insurance - even if you phone them for advice with NO intention to claim, it can be noted on your file and count against you come renewal date. It is seen as an 'attempt' and you 'could' have claimed - therefore you are classed as a higher risk for future cover.Take what I say with a pinch of salt and incredulity but I've been through it myself and now would only advise anyone to ONLY contact an insurance provider if you are wishing to PROCEED with a claim. In your sister's case, I'd have taken them to task legally over trying to wiggle out as they did. If she let them get away with that then she gave up too quickly!Insurance companies = devil's little helpers.

I think insurance companies are just like lawyers. Legalised robbers.
oliviasgrandad23/10/2019 15:49

I think insurance companies are just like lawyers. Legalised robbers.

You'll get no argument from me there. Go tell it on the mountain Brother...
Best option is to soak, remove, repeat. If most of it is on the steps, you can easily replace that bit as the seams can be hidden away in the step line. You can then focus on the landing bits.
With the soaking, I would be conscious of the underlay and the wooden planks underneath absorbing too much of this water.

I remember when our young ones with a visiting friend had flooded the bathroom by plugging the wash basin. They "just wanted to see if they could make a pool".

Good luck.
You could paint the rest of your carpet?
Whuelse23/10/2019 16:12

Best option is to soak, remove, repeat. If most of it is on the steps, you …Best option is to soak, remove, repeat. If most of it is on the steps, you can easily replace that bit as the seams can be hidden away in the step line. You can then focus on the landing bits.With the soaking, I would be conscious of the underlay and the wooden planks underneath absorbing too much of this water.I remember when our young ones with a visiting friend had flooded the bathroom by plugging the wash basin. They "just wanted to see if they could make a pool". Good luck.

Thanks
if you had hit it with just water constantly using a wet vac i would of thought a bit of elbow grease would of done it, the turps has probably reacted with it now, very bad idea that was.
Give up.
Lift the hallway carpet. Take sections off it to redo the step treads and get the hallway laminated.
Oneday7723/10/2019 20:21

Give up. Lift the hallway carpet. Take sections off it to redo the step …Give up. Lift the hallway carpet. Take sections off it to redo the step treads and get the hallway laminated.

yup your probably right

The steps you see with paint go to the attic and the hallway you see is the upstairs hallway. So if I did what you suggested I'm not sure what to do with the laminate when it meets the top of the stairs that go downstairs to living room
efc_4ever23/10/2019 20:21

yup your probably right The steps you see with paint go to the … yup your probably right The steps you see with paint go to the attic and the hallway you see is the upstairs hallway. So if I did what you suggested I'm not sure what to do with the laminate when it meets the top of the stairs that go downstairs to living room

We have carpet on the stairs and the family room. The rest is laminate across the whole house, except tiles in bathrooms.

You run the laminate to the top step, with a laminated edge. Then the carpet only comes up the vertical and ends there, behind the edging strip.
Oneday7723/10/2019 20:29

We have carpet on the stairs and the family room. The rest is laminate …We have carpet on the stairs and the family room. The rest is laminate across the whole house, except tiles in bathrooms. You run the laminate to the top step, with a laminated edge. Then the carpet only comes up the vertical and ends there, behind the edging strip.

Oh I see. This idea could save me some money. Could you please send me a picture of how it looks? Just the bit with the laminate meeting your carpet on the stairs at the top of the stairs
You've got 2 problems now. How to remove the emulsion (water based) and how to remove the turps. Turps is an oil and will make removing the emulsion more difficult now, kind of like putting a waterproof seal over it.
If you pour salt on paint it makes it clump together. Also using elbow grease or yellow flash will clean it off hard floors. Either water or oil based.
Too late now but might help someone in the future.
I got water based gloss off my carpet with the Elbow Grease spray that's pictured above and I'd used Turps on it too.

It was hidden under a rug and it had been ruined for months before i tried the Elbow Grease and most of it came out.

I would spray a small patch and rub it with a cloth and then pat it with kitchen roll to absorb it .I did that over a few days so letting it dry in between.Maybe worth a try.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants