Empty coolant reservoir

Posted 28th Jul
Hi,

I noticed my coolant level was really low today and there’s a leak underneath the engine bay of the car. The reservoir is completely empty. I managed to top up the coolant but that quickly leaked out. I have an appointment booked for the car so I’m just wondering what’s the best way is to get the car to the dealership.

Can I add more coolant and then drive there (10mins away) and hope the coolant remains inside the system before I get there? Potential risk of air pockets as I don’t know how to bleed the system

Or do I tow the car there and see if the warranty will reimburse me for the tow there?

Any advice is much appreciated
Community Updates
Ask
22 Comments
I wouldn’t drive it. If it is under warranty and not driveable the garage should come and collect it at their expense.
Get a cheap one man band recovery to the garage, they can be cheaper than a taxi
angusyoung28/07/2020 18:49

I wouldn’t drive it. If it is under warranty and not driveable the garage s …I wouldn’t drive it. If it is under warranty and not driveable the garage should come and collect it at their expense.

As above get the garage to collect the car.
You say it quickly leaked out. How quickly? Can you see where it's leaking from? I don't suppose you're lucky enough to drive a hybrid? If it will run for 5 minutes and still have water in take a great big bottle (or several) of water with you and stop as soon as the temperature gauge starts to go over half way. Open the bonnet. Wait 5 minutes. Top up. And do it again. You can do this almost indefinitely.
If water is dripping out don’t drive it, bad water pump, split pipe or broken or leaking radiator.
If in doubt join green flag today and call them out Tomorrow or next day. They will look and advise you. Then tow you to the garage, all for £60 -£80. Depending on age of car.
Water dripping is better than not being able to find where it’s going, as could be head gasket, oil cooler etc.
Big bills.
Ringfinger28/07/2020 19:02

You say it quickly leaked out. How quickly? Can you see where it's leaking …You say it quickly leaked out. How quickly? Can you see where it's leaking from? I don't suppose you're lucky enough to drive a hybrid? If it will run for 5 minutes and still have water in take a great big bottle (or several) of water with you and stop as soon as the temperature gauge starts to go over half way. Open the bonnet. Wait 5 minutes. Top up. And do it again. You can do this almost indefinitely.

I roughly added around 600ml to the reservoir and about an hour later, the reservoir was empty. I could see the coolant dripping from underneath the car. It’s a petrol car
Ask the garage what you should do. If they say drive it then do so carefully. If more damage occurs at least you have only done what they have told you.
paul123edwards28/07/2020 19:26

Ask the garage what you should do. If they say drive it then do so …Ask the garage what you should do. If they say drive it then do so carefully. If more damage occurs at least you have only done what they have told you.

Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll give them a call first thing tomorrow and see what they say
Watch the temperature gauge don't let get to the red.
paul123edwards28/07/2020 19:26

Ask the garage what you should do. If they say drive it then do so …Ask the garage what you should do. If they say drive it then do so carefully. If more damage occurs at least you have only done what they have told you.

I wouldn’t drive it as you can place bets that it would be a split hose but as you’ve driven it you’ve done this that or the next thing and guess what you’ll be liable for the additional damage.
Tell them your not willing the risk of driving it to the garage and ask for it to be recovered.
MrWalle28/07/2020 20:15

I wouldn’t drive it as you can place bets that it would be a split hose b …I wouldn’t drive it as you can place bets that it would be a split hose but as you’ve driven it you’ve done this that or the next thing and guess what you’ll be liable for the additional damage.Tell them your not willing the risk of driving it to the garage and ask for it to be recovered.

Totally agree. As my first comment, contact the garage and they’ll collect it
What car is it?

I have a mk3 focus and had exactly the same issue. On the focus it’s a known issue but thankfully really quick and cheap to fix.

But don’t drive it with no coolant. This issue on the focus has given the eco boost engines the eco boom nickname.
paul100528/07/2020 21:49

What car is it?I have a mk3 focus and had exactly the same issue. On the …What car is it?I have a mk3 focus and had exactly the same issue. On the focus it’s a known issue but thankfully really quick and cheap to fix.But don’t drive it with no coolant. This issue on the focus has given the eco boost engines the eco boom nickname.

It’s a VW golf TSI
t’s a VW golf TSI
04muim28/07/2020 21:50

It’s a VW golf TSI

Hopefully as simple as my focus then. Just a split coolant returns pipe.
£20 for the pipe and £50 for fitting at ford. Could have done it myself but rather pay for piece of mind and the warranty.
paul100528/07/2020 22:02

Hopefully as simple as my focus then. Just a split coolant returns …Hopefully as simple as my focus then. Just a split coolant returns pipe.£20 for the pipe and £50 for fitting at ford. Could have done it myself but rather pay for piece of mind and the warranty.

Yeah, hopefully it’s a simple fix. They’re going to check if it’ll go under warranty or not. It’s just a matter of getting the car there that’s the issue
04muim28/07/2020 19:25

I roughly added around 600ml to the reservoir and about an hour later, the …I roughly added around 600ml to the reservoir and about an hour later, the reservoir was empty. I could see the coolant dripping from underneath the car. It’s a petrol car

As others have said.. don't drive it. I know I suggested it, but that was an option until i dare how fast it leaked out. Avoid using rad weld and the likes...I used radweld on my car and it cost me a new radiator. Thay wad on top of a new water pump, which was my leak. Total cost for me £140.
had same problem today on 5 year old astra expansion tank hose split plastic clip - wasnt hard to find source identify part and google search part number - has few car hoses new in garage which cut piece of larger pipe - cut coolant tank pipe and joined the two with jubilee clips and topped it back up again jobs a good un ordered new part and new coolant - basically stuck bandage on it so can still drive it - have used self amalgamating tape previously on hose split which works for emergency / get home job
Have you got under the car and tried to see where it is leaking? Might be something really simple you can temporarily fix to get it to the garage.
You mention in your original post something about a warranty? If it is still under warranty from the garage its their look out. If you drive it at all with this fault you could invalidate it and then you're on your own :/
bigwheels28/07/2020 19:20

Water dripping is better than not being able to find where it’s going, as c …Water dripping is better than not being able to find where it’s going, as could be head gasket, oil cooler etc.Big bills.

I had ‘leak’ & garages I tried could not tell me where it was going. I investigated it myself & discovered due to a heater matrix blockage it was being forced out of the expanse tank overfill.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants