Groups

Enable HD (720p) video recording on iPhone 3GS!!!

Firstly, you need a jailbroken iphone to do this.

The ability to record HD video is within the iphone 3GS, Apple just restricted this ability. Now someone has managed to make some tweaks which allow you to use this feature.

Link to (easy, 5 minute) instructions in 1st post.

16 Comments

Original Poster

Instructions (same as link above):

Step 1: First up, you will need to jailbreak your iPhone 3GS.

Step 2: Next, you will need to install OpenSSH. To do this, Open Cydia, touch on “Search” tab and then search for “OpenSSH”. Install this app and reboot your iPhone.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o28/hypnoticstate/OpenSSH.jpg

Step 3: Connect your iPhone 3GS with your computer. Make sure iTunes is not running.

Step 4: Download and install Cyberduck for Mac or WinSCP for Windows. Enter the following details to login to your iPhone:

Cyberduck

Server: The IP address of your iPhone/iPad/iPod touch. Settings –> WiFi –>
    Username: root
    Password: alpine
    Protocol: SFTP (SSH File Transfer Protocol)

WinSCP

Hostname: The IP address of your iPhone/iPad/iPod touch. Setting –> WiFi –>
    User name: root
    Password: alpine
    Protocol: SCP

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o28/hypnoticstate/1-2.png

Step 5: Download HDVideo3GS.zip file from here.

Step 6: Navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/ directory and copy the N88AP.plist file in this location as shown in the screenshot below.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o28/hypnoticstate/Screen-shot-2010-10-31-at-91720-AM.png

Step 7: Now navigate to /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Celestial.framework/N88/ directory and copy AVCapture.plist, CameraRollValidator.plist and MediaValidator.plist files in this location as shown in the screenshot below.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o28/hypnoticstate/Screen-shot-2010-10-31-at-91907-AM.png

Step 8: Now simply restart your iPhone 3GS and you are done!

Edited by: "hypnoticstate" 1st Nov 2010

Original Poster

Not sure why the screenshots aren't showing properly

Original Poster

fixed now

Done, but hasn't made a jot of difference. The quality is still naff.

I dont think this will work. It's more of a hardware thing.

Banned

wizzywas

I dont think this will work. It's more of a hardware thing.

this, just like the 12mp camera app

Original Poster

I assure you it does work. It's true that the hardware defines whether or not this can be done but the iPhone 3GS uses an "ARM Cortex processor" which DOES have the ability to record in HD and this method just unlocks the ability. I've noticed a big improvement in video quality myself.

More info:

Yes you read that right! As the title suggests, you can now enable HD video recording on your jailbroken iPhone 3GS, running iOS 4.x. ARM Cortex processor on iPhone 3GS is apparently capable of handling 720p video encoding, it is just that Apple has imposed some limitation in the software which Mike has successfully managed to bypass to allow video recording at 1080×800 @ 30fps at up to 20Mbps. The default settings for video recording on iPhone 3GS are: 640×480 @ 3Mbps.
    Edited by: "hypnoticstate" 1st Nov 2010

Good point. Didn't read it all. I shAll still test it.
    Previous HDR camera enablers didn't work at all

cant see any difference, the camera lens has to be able to capture HD.

Original Poster

dcx_badass

Just because the processor can handle it it doesn't mean the camera can … Just because the processor can handle it it doesn't mean the camera can capture it you muppet.

People a lot smarter than you and have far greater knowledge of the way an iphone is built both in software and hardware acknowledge that it is entirely possible with the 3GS as it is. All that was needed was the right system tweaks which, until now, had not been discovered. This isn't an app that claims to do the job, it's a direct manipulation of the system files which apps don't have access to on the 3GS which DOES have the hardware (which includes the lens) to record in HD.

Banned

Isn't the camera 3mp which is more than enough for 720p?

I'll give this ago. Fingers crossed I can notice the improvement!

Original Poster

youtube.com/wat…JFU

For a video (made by the person who made the hack) which shows the camera doing HD (you'll see that you can change the res settings right up to 720p) and i can see an improvement there.

Banned

dcx_badass

You genuinely think the camera has nothing to do with the ability to … You genuinely think the camera has nothing to do with the ability to capture HD video? Seriously, and then you want people to acknowledge your opinion.....

I thought he was agreeing with you.

dcx_badass

You genuinely think the camera has nothing to do with the ability to … You genuinely think the camera has nothing to do with the ability to capture HD video? Seriously, and then you want people to acknowledge your opinion.....

I never said that? I said the camera lens has to be good enough to capture HD. I don't have much knowledge of this issue to comment further so I'm out of this dicussion. I'm the second person on this thread to report no changes in quality of the video capture. Let the results speak for themselves. Let's see if it works or doesn't work for others on HUKDs.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764315
      2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846217
      3. RIP DOCTOR WHO22
      4. Report online material promoting terrorism or extremism57

See more discussions