Enclosed toilet button not working properly. is it difficult to mend yourself?

Found 21st Aug 2011
The button for flushing the toilet is getting difficult to use. Would I be able to mend it myself?
Community Updates
MiscToilet
30 Comments
bluebindy123

Enclosed toilet button not working properly. is it difficult to mend … Enclosed toilet button not working properly. is it difficult to mend yourself?

Sorry, I opened the thread & the button was not enclosed.

Are you broken?

BFN,

fp.
Depends on where in the system its broken. Could be a pin has come out of a link (piece of cake to fix) or a part could have snapped which would likely need a whole new mechanism.

getting difficult to use

More specific please?
cis_groupie

More specific please?

You maybe have to push the button a few times. It does flush after that though.
(I can feel a game of '20 questions' starting here...)

When you push the button a few times does the flushing mechanism try to work, or does nothing at all happen?
cis_groupie

(I can feel a game of '20 questions' starting here...)When you push the … (I can feel a game of '20 questions' starting here...)When you push the button a few times does the flushing mechanism try to work, or does nothing at all happen?

Yes it does work after a few pushes.
You already said that it works after you've pushed it a few times, I was trying to get you to say whether or not anything happened when you pushed it the first couple of times (yes I know it doesn't flush, but does it do anything at all?)
cis_groupie

You already said that it works after you've pushed it a few times, I was … You already said that it works after you've pushed it a few times, I was trying to get you to say whether or not anything happened when you pushed it the first couple of times (yes I know it doesn't flush, but does it do anything at all?)

Please forgive I am female and blonde.oops! no the button just goes in seems that there is no pressure there if that make sense.
Duct Tape is your answer.

http://virtualsasha.com/images/Duct_Tape_Toilet.jpeg

[img]t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRKdgeqmPl1SvvECUnWCoQH-1pcBTy2SheBjbB8MYJexpyIFaCh[/img]
Bluebindy123, are you sure you are letting the tank fill up before pressing the button?
Adnan786

Bluebindy123, are you sure you are letting the tank fill up before … Bluebindy123, are you sure you are letting the tank fill up before pressing the button?

Yes not that blonde!
bluebindy123

Yes it does work after a few pushes.

Fixed,

/thread

the button just goes in seems that there is no pressure there if that … the button just goes in seems that there is no pressure there if that make sense.

Sounds like a part of the mechanism is worn/wearing out. Unfortunately the only way you can find out is by looking inside the cistern.
cis_groupie

Sounds like a part of the mechanism is worn/wearing out. Unfortunately … Sounds like a part of the mechanism is worn/wearing out. Unfortunately the only way you can find out is by looking inside the cistern.

Thank you I will now have to find out how to get to that. Happy days!
If it's a fairly modern toilet the button should unscrew anti-clockwise - use the fingers of both hands to try moving it. It should then lift out and the top of the cistern come off. Examine the button for wear, check the mechanism fir blockages. Just screw the button back on to refit.
the button has a rod coming out of it. Maybe its not long enough so just unscrew it a bit to make it longer.
thanks for all your help. I will have to get plumber as I can't even see how to get to the cistern as there is a white panel in front of it.
bluebindy123

thanks for all your help. I will have to get plumber as I can't even see … thanks for all your help. I will have to get plumber as I can't even see how to get to the cistern as there is a white panel in front of it.

take a pic and post here

probably just pulls off

plumber could be around £50-100 for what could be a 2 minute free job
Edited by: "csiman" 22nd Aug 2011
I have just has another go with it, got the panel off had a bit of a twiddle round with things and seems to be working Ok. I will try again in the next few hours and see how it goes.

thanks again xx
bluebindy123

I have just has another go with it, got the panel off had a bit of a … I have just has another go with it, got the panel off had a bit of a twiddle round with things and seems to be working Ok. I will try again in the next few hours and see how it goes. thanks again xx

does your toilet take 'a few hours' to refill
HAHA no it doesn't just don't want one flush to be a fluke and then for it not to work again later. Looking good so far though!. Just glad I'm not on a water meter with all the flushing.

had a bit of a twiddle round with things and seems to be working Ok

Shouldn't you be fixing your cistern? X)
well I thought it had been fixed but not to be. I have now opened the front casing off and twiddled about a bit. There isn't a fod coming from the button it just has a thin see through tube going into a small brass nozzle. when it has finished flushing it makes a funny noise, not water just a funny noise that I can't explain.
bluebindy123

well I thought it had been fixed but not to be. I have now opened the … well I thought it had been fixed but not to be. I have now opened the front casing off and twiddled about a bit. There isn't a fod coming from the button it just has a thin see through tube going into a small brass nozzle. when it has finished flushing it makes a funny noise, not water just a funny noise that I can't explain.

post a pic as cant diagnose from that description
csiman

post a pic as cant diagnose from that description

I would if I knew how to do it. Can't do pics as daughters gone away this weekend I will try to put them on later.

Edited by: "bluebindy123" 26th Aug 2011
I have now taken the button off and as the toilet works if I blow down the thin tube I . The rubber bellows has split inside so I now need a replacement. Just got to find the name of it so I don't look daft when I try and get a part. Thanks again for all your help.
bluebindy123

I have now taken the button off and as the toilet works if I blow down … I have now taken the button off and as the toilet works if I blow down the thin tube I . The rubber bellows has split inside so I now need a replacement. Just got to find the name of it so I don't look daft when I try and get a part. Thanks again for all your help.

its called a syphon

best place to buy (£10 gets free delivery)

toolstation.com/sho…835
I smiled nicely at the man at the local plumbing centre and got given one. I think he was just amazed I was trying to mend it myself. They are for Grohe push button toilets and made by Hurga part number 6442.

Got home fixed it and flushing as before thank you.
Lies your clearly not blonde this thread is a lie and an attempt at celebrity status
Nailez

Lies your clearly not blonde this thread is a lie and an attempt at … Lies your clearly not blonde this thread is a lie and an attempt at celebrity status

HAHA last year was even better I mended my dishwasher as the door fitting had broken. I just found out which part it was ordered for 12.00 and with the help of Youtube took the door apart and replaced the broken part. Must have saved about hundred quid with that one. Its amazing what you can do when it comes to saving money!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants