End of phone contract with O2, beginning new one with O2 question

Found 25th Jul 2011
I have just gave my 30 day notification of cancelation to O2 mobile which ends on 26th August. Now, i want to take advantage of the Quidco £100 cashback plus £50 M&S voucher on the O2 simplicity sim only deal which ends on August 1st the first.

My question is if i take up the new deal today (a month before the official termination of my old contract) can i overlap and keep my same number? If so how do i keep same number?

Thanks in advance

16 Comments

pretty sure that you can only keep your number on the same network if you keep your current contract, otherwise you would need a PAC code to take it to a new network, you cant really ask o2 for a PAC code and give it back to them.

And regarding the overlap you can leave your network early before the 30 days but you will have a only termination cost as soon as the new network takes the code. This info was from the network operators so could be true might not be but i always leave it till 2-3 days before end of the contract so i dont have any charges.
Edited by: "liamis2cool" 25th Jul 2011

u will need to get a pac number from o2, then give that to another network.
then get the pac code from new network
then sign up to the new o2 contract, and then give them the pac number.

O2 will allow you to move numbers from one acc to another, but that invalidates your Quidco (as your not a new customer).

As above, you'd have to pac out to another network and then back in to get the cashback.

Original Poster

Thanks people. I might as well go with this simplicity deal even if i do end up with the slight hastle of having a new number. Works out £3 a month for 600 mins, unlimited texts. So, worth it in the end i'd say.

Banned

1. Get O2 PAC code
2. Get orange/vodafone/t mobile PAYG sim
3. Get new O2 contract with new number and quidco
4. Port O2 number to PAYG sim using PAC code supplied
5. Wait a month and request PAC code from PAYG sim
6. Port number from PAYG to new O2 contract

Or text your mates your mew number when you get it

Original Poster

dcx_badass

Order a new one, request pac code, ring new one to port number, will auto … Order a new one, request pac code, ring new one to port number, will auto cancel the old one, I've done it a few times.

Mmh! that sounds interesting.

"ring new one to port number"

could you explain a little more what this means or how to do it?

cheers

ring your new supplier with the number you got given, however you will be contacting O2 with a PAC number from O2 lol

Original Poster

[quote=dimebars]1. Get O2 PAC code
2. Get orange/vodafone/t mobile PAYG sim
3. Get new O2 contract with new number and quidco
4. Port O2 number to PAYG sim using PAC code supplied
5. Wait a month and request PAC code from PAYG sim
6. Port number from PAYG to new O2 contract

Now that sounds like a plan.

Thanks Dime

Original Poster

dcx_badass

Rubbish, don't do that, you can port O2 contract to O2 contract takes 3 … Rubbish, don't do that, you can port O2 contract to O2 contract takes 3 days max and auto cancels old contract, don't do all that cross network crap above. I've done it this way 4 times in the last 12 months, worked everytime and got cashback and vouchers no problem.

Sorry to seem dumb here but how would i go about that dcx?

You can "migrate" your number from one o2 contract to another o2 contract.

keltbrat

Sorry to seem dumb here but how would i go about that dcx?

Don't cancel your old contract, it will automatically cancel soon as you migrate your number to the new o2 contract.
Edited by: "lilraul" 25th Jul 2011

Original Poster

lilraul

Don't cancel your old contract, it will automatically cancel soon as you … Don't cancel your old contract, it will automatically cancel soon as you migrate your number to the new o2 contract.

But will i lose the quidco cashback in this instance?

Oh, and i have already cancelled

Edited by: "keltbrat" 25th Jul 2011

Original Poster

Thanks dcx. as i said in OP i had already cancelled before posting here. I will take your advice. Thanks to you and all for taking time out to help.

Port takes 4 hours can be done from one contract to another when u port it's classed as anew contract and quidco will track. If u cancelled ur contract it can be reconnected for a min 24hrs request a PAC shift to a new provider.

Hi keltbrat,

Hope you've had a bit more success than I have....I've basically done exactly what you describe, 30 days notice on my old o2 contract and took out the £100 cashback deal. Rang them up to swap my numbers and it all seemed easy peasy. Only problem is they accidentally swapped the numbers the wrong way round thus rendering my new sim card cancelled!!! 4 days and about 10 calls later i'm finally back to my original number but on my original contract as the new sim only has disappeared. They have agreed to credit me the £100 cash back if I can provide them with the terms and conditions of the offer. Now I can't find the t&c anywhere! I can for the new one on the quidco website but on that one it states no cancelling and re-opening which the offer that expired on the 1st definitely didn't! I'm wondering if you or anyone happens to have a copy or email containing the details?!

Any help appreciated, thanks

Liz

For porting number, o2 giver some more option than other networks.

I like it this way (although you can do it other ways as others suggested)-

Call o2 saying you want to cancel. If you pay remaining line rental (i.e. cancel before your original term of 12/18/24 months), you do not have to wait for 30 days. they can do it in 7 days. They will send you a pay-as-you go sim, in one week your pay monthly sim will be off and number will be automatically ported to the new pay as you go sim.

Once the number is ported to the pay as you go sim- and you get your new contract sim, go online
service.o2.co.uk/IQ/…ion,question=ref%28User%29:str%28Mobile%29,CASE=12343

(or just google - keep my number o2).

move from pay as you go to pay monthly.
It takes roughly 4 working hours.
i.e. if you do it in the morning it should be ready before evening. If you do it in the evening it should be ready by next day afternoon. Unlike some other networks, you will not loose your credit (if any) in your pay as you go phone, it will be transferred (and adjusted with your bills) to your pay monthly account.
Hope this helps.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions