Groups

End of Renting Contract, Help Please!

Hello there

I am having some qestions here it would be appricated if anyone know anything about it.

My friend and I have been living in a rented house together the contract is due to end in the end of the month. I just received a letter from the estate agents saying that they are going to renew the contract for another 6 months and there will be an administration charge £200. They charged us the fee as well when we signed for the first contract.

They have not done anything to us apart from receiving the rent, whatever happened to the house we always run to the next door where the landlord lives.

I am just wondering if it's by law we have to sign a new contract after the old one is due? I seem to remember in the past after the first contract is due we can leave anytime as long as I notice them a month before hand. And is it legal to charge such amount of money called administration charge as I have never heard anything about it before?

Thank you very much for your help. xxx

11 Comments

These administration charges drive me mad! Bad enough you had to pay them when you first moved in but wanting them to renew a contract seems bloomin cheeky to me! Think your best to contact your local Citizens Advice and ask them what rights you have and if they can do this

I doubt it, most contracts of this type, after the original term has ended, revert to a rolling month to moth one which can be ended by either party giving the required notice.

however, without knowing the exact details of your contract it's hard to say for sure. You'll need to check the original contract that you signed to see if there's anything in there that entitles them to do this. As you say, they're not exactly doing much are they??

IMO, if the contract ends then you're free to go. The only thing i'd be checking is if there is a notification period before you leaving. have you got the old contract? you should check it

With my tennants they signed a minimum 6 month contract with the agent and then decided to stay on, no new contract was signed by either party but now either they or me can give 1 monts notice. I think estate agent is taking the mick!!

I would say that it would be in the opriginal contract that upon renewal of contract an admin fee will be charged. Hoevrer, as previous post have said, just give your one months notice, then, if you still want to stay there, just speak to your Landlord if he lives next dorr and ask if he would be preparded to organise the rental without the estate agent. This way you save the admin fee, and he would also benefit as no doubt the estate agent is taking a cut of your monhtly rent - everybody wins!

Read your original contract. It'll say you have to either give 1 or 2 months notice.
    If you want to move out, just write a letter to the estate agents stating that ur giving them 1 (or 2) months notice and will be vacating the property on such a such date.

MANJ_007;5700928

With my tennants they signed a minimum 6 month contract with the agent … With my tennants they signed a minimum 6 month contract with the agent and then decided to stay on, no new contract was signed by either party but now either they or me can give 1 monts notice. I think estate agent is taking the mick!!

+1 my tennants signed a contract for six months and were there for 3 years wrecked the house thought never cleaned then tried to charge me for a leak they had done to try to screw me out of bond!! I digress but yes they gave me 1 months notice where as I had to give 2 months notice. I used to pay agent 10% of rent for over seeing contract and 3 monthly checks. I too think estate agents r takin the p sori n good luck let he know how you get on

Original Poster

Thank you for all your help.

I checked the contract, neither contract renewal or the administration fee were mentioned. My housemate and I are preparing to fight for this, I am going to speak to the landlord as well to see what they say,

xxx

Definitely fight it, I think it's a real cheek of them!! And if they won't budge then just say thankyou very much and here's my notice! I'm about to move into a place and when I asked about contract renewal they said that I wouldn't pay admin fees again and it's the landlord's expense not mine so I think they're taking the mickey!!

yes they can if they want - for some agencies its a way to get extra money
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What laptop to choose?44
      2. What is the true cost of 4K HDR home cinema entertainment in 2017?79
      3. how do i join shop and scan ???33
      4. Gaming PC £700 / £800 budget11

See more discussions