Energy bills.

Found 13th Nov 2017
Been a British gas customer for years.......think I need to change they really have gone up. I'm paying about £60 a month electric and the same ish on gas a month. Three bed. Recommendations please xxx
Community Updates
Ask
22 Comments
I'm paying £63 a month in total for my gas and electricity, I live in a 2 bed (marketed as 3 by estate agents!) really old house with stone walls. So potentially the least insulated house possible.

Try bulb energy?
Jesus , im paying £120pm electric and about £40pm gas , 3 bedroom house
Think I have to many electric gadgets
Best thing to do is work out your annual usage in kWh from your bills and then pop the figures into a comparison site which will give you an idea. Personally I use the Martin Lewis moneysaving energy club , as once you have put in your figures you can also ask for an email if you will save over a certain amount per year by switching again.
Currently with Scottish power and my bills are under £70 per month gas and electric , four adults in 3 bed house and devices contantly charging.
moneysavingexpert.com/che…lub

Then once you have found the best deal see if you can get any more cashback if you really want to maximise savings. You can also filter the energy club results if you would rather stay away from the smaller unproven new energy companies .
Edited by: "tinkerbellian" 13th Nov 2017
I'm with ovo using a smart meter which means my bill each month is for the electric I have actually used in the last 30 days, in summer my bills average £45 and winter £55, that's a 3 bedroom bungalow. Family of 4. No gas as we use oil for heating.
I've got one of those British Gas smart meter thngies and also a prepayment. I'm getting really annoyed at topping up a tenner or fifteen quid to come in see the stinking meter asking me to feed it. Im in a 3 bed house and have two older children who are hardly here.Ridiculous. And when I get up every day it STARTS at 50-70pence due to the daily standing charge.
£60 is really good but it all depends on how many people live in your house.
Do a few comparisons, that will work.
Look at the standing charges + per unit prices. If you know ur useage thats helpful
My Daughter has a card prepayment meter with British Gas. Lives in a 3 bed terrace and it is so expensive that she has to go without heat most of the day and just puts it on for a couple of hours in the evening when the children get home.She won't change suppliers because she will lose her warm front payment.
Misslovely1 h, 52 m ago

£60 is really good but it all depends on how many people live in your …£60 is really good but it all depends on how many people live in your house. Do a few comparisons, that will work.

£60 on elec and £60 on gas isn't good.im in a 3 bedroom house with family,I pay £80 for both and use a fair amount of both.
barry.turner2 h, 0 m ago

I've got one of those British Gas smart meter thngies and also a …I've got one of those British Gas smart meter thngies and also a prepayment. I'm getting really annoyed at topping up a tenner or fifteen quid to come in see the stinking meter asking me to feed it. Im in a 3 bed house and have two older children who are hardly here.Ridiculous. And when I get up every day it STARTS at 50-70pence due to the daily standing charge.

Change to a credit account.
Van19732 h, 2 m ago

uswitch.com

this. it will get you the best rates for your area and useage.
craigstephens8 m ago

Change to a credit account.

If their a Tennant,not all landlords would allow her to change from prepayment
Edited by: "tomdavidrichards" 13th Nov 2017
How thick is your insulation? I'm in a four bed with the new thicker insulation. I pay about £73 dual fuel with British gas.
psychobitchfromhell2 m ago

How thick is your insulation? I'm in a four bed with the new thicker …How thick is your insulation? I'm in a four bed with the new thicker insulation. I pay about £73 dual fuel with British gas.

Insulation won't have much of an impact, using too much electricity and gas will be the main cause
tomdavidrichards4 m ago

Insulation won't have much of an impact, using too much electricity and …Insulation won't have much of an impact, using too much electricity and gas will be the main cause

I don't need to use much because the house is always warm. They don't even build them with fireplaces now. Does make boarding out the loft a horrible job though. Dunno about the leccy though.
We're with ovo but through an offer with our Council, 4 bed detached, family of 4 (2 teenage girls - all the gadgets!) we pay £65 a month, build up a credit through the summer, heating stays on 19°c from mid Oct through til March/April.
tomdavidrichards2 h, 2 m ago

Insulation won't have much of an impact, using too much electricity and …Insulation won't have much of an impact, using too much electricity and gas will be the main cause

It's amazing how much difference insulation actually makes. Must be about 6-7 years ago when all the Energy companies had to meet some Green commitments dictated by the Government and several decided to do this by subsidising insulation sales. I literally visited B&Q every day for a week and fitted as many rolls of loft insulation (@ £3 each) that I could into my Passat estate - ended up with about 600mm (2ft) depth of insulation in my loft for a spend of less than £100.

This has reduced my gas usage (we cook with gas as well) from typically 30,000kWh per year to about 14,000kWh - an over 50% saving - about £480/year at current rates. I've done other things as well, draft proofing and fitting solar panels which help reduce the gas use for water heating in the summer but the insulation has made the house retain heat a lot better.

If insulation is ever reduced in price again I'll be topping up some more!!
Just changed this week to Avro - was with First Utility but can save £100/yr with Avro so have given them a go.

It is amazing how many people never change supplier - when it is literally just the click of a button!

If you do change to someone who you can switch to direct through uswitch you can also earn £30 through Quidco. Some of the cheaper smaller suppliers you have to sign up direct so there is no opportity for Quidco
Uswitch.com quidco doing £30 cash back too (tho finishing soon)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants