Energy Bills

Found 29th Mar
My energy bill says I am nearly 700 pound in credit . Stupid question .... credit means credit right ? So they ow me money ? Also I have just switched providers and EDF have charged me another month . So it is closer to the 750 mark with the latest payment .

What makes me question this is recently they refunded me 70 pounds . Why would they refund me 70 pounds when they ow me 700 ?

So does credit mean credit on an energy bill ?
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
First utility owe me £400 since 3 years ago. Because I have put my husband's name on it they want to speak to him but I don't want him to know about it. I will carry on until the deal enes
The credit on your account is your money. If EDF took a Direct Debit payment after you left, simply call your bank and instruct them to recover the payment. It's called the Direct Debit Guarantee scheme. They sometimes get a bit iffy so simply explain they are party to a theft since the contract was no longer in force and EDF have taken payment without consent or cause.

CANCEL the Direct Debit (and any other defunct DDs on the account).

The energy company should, under OFGEM rules, send you a final bill within 6 weeks so long as you have already provided the final meter reading. Your new supplier will also have asked for an opening reading and will have sent that to EDF. The money should follow within 5 days of the final bill.

If the money has not been paid back 8 weeks and 1 day after you left EDF, go to the Ombudsman and open a case. Then send the case reference number to EDF.
My main question is how are you billed for your energy?
Is it annually, quarterly or monthly.
To have that much in credit would suggest you submit meeter readings once a year
When your actual switch goes through and you have a ‘welcome’ email from your new provider, EDF should then refund the £700 automatically as the account has been closed. The £70 was probably taken because the time was too short between switching and the DD date to stop the payment being made, they collected the £70 but had no account to credit it to as it’s closed and subsequently refunded it back to you
If you haven’t received the £700 within 14 days of switching officially then ring EDF and ask for your money back immediately. Also don’t forget to go to your bank and cancel the DD to EDF.
mattsk43 m ago

My main question is how are you billed for your energy?Is it annually, …My main question is how are you billed for your energy?Is it annually, quarterly or monthly.To have that much in credit would suggest you submit meeter readings once a year

Monthly
Fairys_Burn_Things3 m ago

Monthly

how much is your direct debit then?
if you are billed monthly and you are 50quid in credit each month that would mean your DD is around 120 mark (given an average 70quid dual fuel monthly cost for 3 bed house)
Everyone , thanks for the advice.

This is also one of the reasons I left them . My account has always said I was in credit and yet a couple months ago they put the price up again
mattsk2 m ago

how much is your direct debit then?if you are billed monthly and you are …how much is your direct debit then?if you are billed monthly and you are 50quid in credit each month that would mean your DD is around 120 mark (given an average 70quid dual fuel monthly cost for 3 bed house)

I live in a small flat . My bill was 63 a month .
Fairys_Burn_Things3 m ago

I live in a small flat . My bill was 63 a month .

ok so 63 a month but you are still 50 in credit each month?
No . This has been built up over a number of years . I pulled them up on it a few years ago when it was a few hundred and they fobbed me off .

My new supplier is only charging me 38 pounds. So if I was to guess. They have probably been charging me around 15 pound extra a month
Just ring them up and demand what they owe you. They have your final reading when you switched so should credit you very quickly
Misslovely14 h, 42 m ago

First utility owe me £400 since 3 years ago. Because I have put my …First utility owe me £400 since 3 years ago. Because I have put my husband's name on it they want to speak to him but I don't want him to know about it. I will carry on until the deal enes

Give me all your details, I'll call up pretending to be MrLovely, sort out the £400 refund - minus my 15% cut
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants