Energy companies

Posted 15th Sep
Hi guys my current ovo deal is ending next month so am looking at changing over. When using the mse energy club comparison tool to see who would be cheapest these are the top 3.

Simplicity
Breeze
Avro

Does anybody have any input with regards to how these companies perform with regards to payment taking/bill estimating etc and customer service.
As I've not really had any issues with ovo but not looking to pay an extra £40 pm for the privilege.
Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

32 Comments
I’ve gone with outfoxthemarket, check their prices before you sign up
cmdr_elito15/09/2019 11:14

Cheers, So far the 3 companies above are £83-84 pm on a fixed 12 month. Outfoxthemarket comes in at £81 on a variable. Over the last 10 yr or so we've always had a fixed rate so they always took out a set payment. In your experience is there much fluctuation in cost with a variable.
Just don't want to get hooked in with a good price for it to shoot up 3-4 month down the line.
ndksamb15/09/2019 11:23

Cheers, So far the 3 companies above are £83-84 pm on a fixed 12 month. …Cheers, So far the 3 companies above are £83-84 pm on a fixed 12 month. Outfoxthemarket comes in at £81 on a variable. Over the last 10 yr or so we've always had a fixed rate so they always took out a set payment. In your experience is there much fluctuation in cost with a variable.Just don't want to get hooked in with a good price for it to shoot up 3-4 month down the line.

I went for their fixed option which was slightly more than the variable but cheaper than others for me at the time

Oh dear, you really will regret that desision, you need to check out the many Facebook pages against this company
Looking at all the options.
I decided to go with Bulb, prices for me are very good and they do warm home discount.
The referal programe is very well run also.
You both get £50.00 the day the switch goes through.
Customer service was great, kept on hold for 10 mins I think not sure though.
2/3 weeks later I got an email saying sorry, Plus have £10.00 credit to your account.
You might want to check out Switchcraft, its a NEW service launched in the UK, I know the Sun newspaper was offering a £10 voucher for signing up (via the Sun Savers) app not sure if its still available but worth checking out.

Sun Savers
Switch Craft (Automatic Energy Supplies)

38466104-ZLFdG.jpg
I look after 3 different accounts and mostly switch each one every 12 months.

Been with Avro before and now switching one account to them again. They are slow to pay any credit in the account when leaving but they are not the only ones guilty of that. Never had my direct debit increased with them as I've been mostly in credit.
Edited by: "Van1973" 15th Sep
ndksamb15/09/2019 11:23

Cheers, So far the 3 companies above are £83-84 pm on a fixed 12 month. …Cheers, So far the 3 companies above are £83-84 pm on a fixed 12 month. Outfoxthemarket comes in at £81 on a variable. Over the last 10 yr or so we've always had a fixed rate so they always took out a set payment. In your experience is there much fluctuation in cost with a variable.Just don't want to get hooked in with a good price for it to shoot up 3-4 month down the line.

You are mixing up a fixed rate with a fixed payment. You still pay for actual consumption.
Generally customer service should not be an issue . If you have put in your initial usage accurately then you should have little need to contact them . Folks moan about Customer service when they provide inaccurate usage -think £20 a month is all they will pay then wonder why they are £100 in debit and see their DD increase to £70 per month .

Check the offers on TCB , check your estimate on Uswitch (remember it is only an ESTIMATE ! based on the usage figures you have given ) .

DO your SUMS ! ie annual estimate - TCB cashback . Clear cookies and go to the net cheapest energy company via TCB and switch from there .

MSE and Uswitch openly admit they take half your cashback to help finance their sites . Use their comparisons to find the cheapest but then get "All of your cashback " by going direct to the provider via Topcashback .

Not the first time I have suggested this is the way to do it .
Tonik came up as the cheapest for me( fixed rate, 18months), when looking to switch. Might be worth a shout/investigating? They have been superb over the duration of the swap and far cheaper 'predicted' bills. They use renewable energy and any funds held in credit accrue interest. Win, win. I switched from NPower. I used USwitch.
I appreciate like most things in life it depends on your personal circumstances, but thought it worth a mention. They also have a £50 each referral system. (Not the reason for posting a reply and I can only vouch for the service received so far. If you decide you want to go for them, I'm happy to give the code to you. Seems a shame to waste £50 each.) Might be worth a look.
Edited by: "Diegobound" 15th Sep

Outfox here as well, as @rogparki says if you maintain the account with regular meter reads customer services shouldn`t be an issue for the majority.
niconelove15/09/2019 11:45

Oh dear, you really will regret that desision, you need to check out the …Oh dear, you really will regret that desision, you need to check out the many Facebook pages against this company

They all went on the variable tariff and that was to do with a change they made earlier in the year which they reversed as it was unpopular and then apologised for. It always pays to dig a little deeper than just look at unsocial media moans.....
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 15th Sep
cmdr_elito15/09/2019 16:34

They all went on the variable tariff and that was to do with a change they …They all went on the variable tariff and that was to do with a change they made earlier in the year which they reversed as it was unpopular and then apologised for. It always pays to dig a little deeper than just look at unsocial media moans.....

No, they increased everyones direct debit by 3x without any warning, mine went fromm £44 month which was enough to cover my bill to over £130 then when everyone started to leave like me the kept reinstating the direct debit illegally, 5 times they done mine, i have had to block all direct debits on my account now which is a right pain, customer service just totally ignored you and you could only get anything done by complaining through resolver. Worst company i have ever had to deal with, if you check out the lages on facebook you will see just how many other people they tried to rip off
As said you won’t need them Customer Service wise often so go with the cheapest. We went with Breeze about 15 months ago and still the cheapest for us CS was very quick when asking questions about renewal and a billing question.
niconelove15/09/2019 16:43

No, they increased everyones direct debit by 3x without any warning, mine …No, they increased everyones direct debit by 3x without any warning, mine went fromm £44 month which was enough to cover my bill to over £130 then when everyone started to leave like me the kept reinstating the direct debit illegally, 5 times they done mine, i have had to block all direct debits on my account now which is a right pain, customer service just totally ignored you and you could only get anything done by complaining through resolver. Worst company i have ever had to deal with, if you check out the lages on facebook you will see just how many other people they tried to rip off

They changed their billing system to essentially cover the bills as they are charged. £44 would be your average over the year however in the summer you probably use only £5 for the summer months and more in winter. That’s why the hiked the bills as your winter bills would have been about £130 a month. It wasn’t very popular hence all the unsocial media outrage.
cmdr_elito15/09/2019 19:43

They changed their billing system to essentially cover the bills as they …They changed their billing system to essentially cover the bills as they are charged. £44 would be your average over the year however in the summer you probably use only £5 for the summer months and more in winter. That’s why the hiked the bills as your winter bills would have been about £130 a month. It wasn’t very popular hence all the unsocial media outrage.

Not at all, i was in plenty of credit, enough to cover any increase in winter, 130x12 doesnt = a little higher bill in winter when my average over the year is £44, btw my bill has never been £130 ever, the max i have ever paid in a month is £65
I went with green Network energy yesterday via moneysupermarket comparison but went through tcb £35 dual fuel cashback
tomdavidrichards15/09/2019 20:19

I went with green Network energy yesterday via moneysupermarket comparison …I went with green Network energy yesterday via moneysupermarket comparison but went through tcb £35 dual fuel cashback

Nice to see at least one member has taken heed of my advice (given many times over the last few years on similar posts ) :D.

Wish more members would actually read threads such as these - might save themselves money and heartache !

Your DD is an amount that will cover your annual usage ( ONLY !! if an accurate usage were given in the first place ) . Sadly too many folks think that will cover whatever they use . But then again they won't be reading this thread -so what's the point !

No complaints against my supplier (ENGIE) took a 5 year fixed rate deal 2 years ago , but how do their algorithms work . September , I'm £40 in credit as expected - so they are reducing my monthly payment by £10 - with winter coming up . CS fine , called them , told them NOT to reduce my DD , acknowledged and confirmed immediately . What consumer (of sound mind ) would object to being £40 - £80 in credit in September ? Unless global warming is faster than envisaged we will use that "credit " up by March .

Sorry - but folks need to be educated about how power bills work and how to properly budget for them as it is apparent many do not have a clue
Edited by: "rogparki" 16th Sep
deleted90213915/09/2019 20:50

Nice to see at least one member has taken heed of my advice (given many …Nice to see at least one member has taken heed of my advice (given many times over the last few tears on similar posts ) :D. Wish more members would actually read threads such as these - might save themselves money and heartache !Your DD is an amount that will cover your annual usage ( ONLY !! if an accurate usage were given in the first place ) . Sadly too many folks think that will cover whatever they use . But then again they won't be reading this thread -so what's the point !No complaints against my supplier (ENGIE) took a 5 year fixed rate deal 2 years ago , but how do their algorithms work . September , I'm £40 in credit as expected -so they are reducing my monthly payment by £10 - with winter coming up . CS fine ,called them , told them NOT to reduce my DD , acknowledged and confirmed immediately

I haven't seen your advice before tbh,I do it this way every year
tomdavidrichards15/09/2019 20:53

I haven't seen your advice before tbh,I do it this way every year

As we all should . One of my many crusades on here . Rarely if ever recommend any particular provider - just the way to go about getting the best deal . Sadly the folks who would most benefit from reading similar threads rarely do .
Edited by: "rogparki" 15th Sep
lettherebedeals15/09/2019 12:38

You might want to check out Switchcraft, its a NEW service launched in the …You might want to check out Switchcraft, its a NEW service launched in the UK, I know the Sun newspaper was offering a £10 voucher for signing up (via the Sun Savers) app not sure if its still available but worth checking out.Sun SaversSwitch Craft (Automatic Energy Supplies) [Image]

All £100 + more than I’m currently paying on a recent fixed deal.......

38469281-OY82t.jpg
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 15th Sep
cmdr_elito15/09/2019 22:16

All £100 + more than I’m currently paying on a recent fixed de …All £100 + more than I’m currently paying on a recent fixed deal.......[Image]

I understand I was just sharing the link.
lettherebedeals15/09/2019 22:21

I understand I was just sharing the link.

I know and with energy prices vary by area so it could just be where i live.
My current one are Zogenergy for gas, Symbio for electricity.
Thanks guys. Think I'm leaning towards avro at the minute as I like the fact there is no exit fees, and their estimate is £71pm which is what I pay now. (Currently in £151 credit ) so hopefully there shouldn't be too much of a difference in monthly out goings,
Avro was banned on taking on new customers up until recently,I'd avoid them
tomdavidrichards16/09/2019 18:00

Avro was banned on taking on new customers up until recently,I'd avoid them

Wife says go with breeze, so going with breeze lol.
Thanks.
Have you looked into Octopus? We have recently switched to them and they are cheap and also very efficient!
ndksamb17/09/2019 13:34

Wife says go with breeze, so going with breeze lol.Thanks.

Green network energy no good? Hope you get cashback
tomdavidrichards17/09/2019 15:37

Green network energy no good? Hope you get cashback

They come up with an £82 pm estimate the gas price seems ok but the electric price per kWh seems higher then the others I've seen. Unfortunately no cashback/incentives.
I changed to them weekend I went through tcb to moneysupermarket and got £35 cashback,I'm sure you can
tomdavidrichards17/09/2019 15:59

I changed to them weekend I went through tcb to moneysupermarket and got …I changed to them weekend I went through tcb to moneysupermarket and got £35 cashback,I'm sure you can

Ah sorry i meant green network energy are quoting £80+ a month and can't find cashback for breeze.

I did email them with regards to incentives/referrals and was informed they don't currently run a bonus program at the minute. To be fair I can live with that considering they pretty much given the cheapest quote based on my usage and I received the reply in just a few hrs,
Edited by: "ndksamb" 17th Sep
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants