Energy companies: when do you become a new customer?

Posted 13th Jun
Energy companies: when do you become a new customer? I was looking to switch to save, topcashback have £25.50 for E-on, but it says I must be a new customer to the energy company, I was with E-on in 2017, I tried calling them but it says they're not taking calls.

I used 2 sites to compare and that is the best deal inc. cashback for my usage.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

16 Comments
I may well be wrong but it's more than likely after 12 months. If you were with Eon in 2017, you'll deffo be a "New" customer.

Don't forget: I believe with Eon, Smart Meters are compulsory to obtain their best tariff(s).
Phsycronix13/06/2020 11:48

I may well be wrong but it's more than likely after 12 months. If you were …I may well be wrong but it's more than likely after 12 months. If you were with Eon in 2017, you'll deffo be a "New" customer.Don't forget: I believe with Eon, Smart Meters are compulsory to obtain their best tariff(s).

Thank you, but is there any way to confirm? Have you or anybody else had experience being confirmed a 'new customer' after coming back after a certain amount of time?
I wouldn't rely on getting that cashback not 100% guaranteed with any cashback firm even if you follow all the rules.
Ukguy10113/06/2020 13:19

I wouldn't rely on getting that cashback not 100% guaranteed with any …I wouldn't rely on getting that cashback not 100% guaranteed with any cashback firm even if you follow all the rules.

Yup but I usually do get it, I've done it in the past. Even without the cashback it's only slightly more than the cheapest, so worth a shot.
Are bulb or octopus priced close, as both do £50 credit for referral. On the day you join.
If you look on ebay and online a lot of people offer £25 extra from their referral.
So £75 to join.
I went with Avro, no referral but were best priced and great customer service. Also all big 6 force you into smart meters.
I dont want one, but thats just me.
bigwheels13/06/2020 13:57

Are bulb or octopus priced close, as both do £50 credit for referral. On …Are bulb or octopus priced close, as both do £50 credit for referral. On the day you join.If you look on ebay and online a lot of people offer £25 extra from their referral.So £75 to join.I went with Avro, no referral but were best priced and great customer service. Also all big 6 force you into smart meters.I dont want one, but thats just me.

Im with bulb happy with them.
Ukguy10113/06/2020 14:06

Im with bulb happy with them.

I was until they did not change their prices this year, now they are £86 a year more.
When I left I got £500 back so not too bad.
bigwheels13/06/2020 13:57

Are bulb or octopus priced close, as both do £50 credit for referral. On …Are bulb or octopus priced close, as both do £50 credit for referral. On the day you join.If you look on ebay and online a lot of people offer £25 extra from their referral.So £75 to join.I went with Avro, no referral but were best priced and great customer service. Also all big 6 force you into smart meters.I dont want one, but thats just me.

I didn't know about this so thank you, but once you get the £50, what is to say the person will decide to pocket the extra £25 they promised to give you?

I'm currently paying £35 per month (£421 PA) Fixed rate minus I got £35 cashback quidco= £384,
outfox the market is £369.44 (£30.79 pm) Fixed rate
e.on £378.54 (£31.55 pm) minus £25.50 potential cashback= £353.04
Octopus £436.80 (£36.40 pm) minus potential £75 referral= £361.89

So e.on is still cheapest but I need someone to confirm, did they get a new customer deal after returning after a year or so?
Supa13/06/2020 15:02

I didn't know about this so thank you, but once you get the £50, what is …I didn't know about this so thank you, but once you get the £50, what is to say the person will decide to pocket the extra £25 they promised to give you?I'm currently paying £35 per month (£421 PA) Fixed rate minus I got £35 cashback quidco= £384, outfox the market is £369.44 (£30.79 pm) Fixed ratee.on £378.54 (£31.55 pm) minus £25.50 potential cashback= £353.04Octopus £436.80 (£36.40 pm) minus potential £75 referral= £361.89So e.on is still cheapest but I need someone to confirm, did they get a new customer deal after returning after a year or so?

That’s the chance you take. Same with Quidco & Topcashback.
bigwheels13/06/2020 15:24

That’s the chance you take. Same with Quidco & Topcashback.

I do think most of my cashbacks have been successful so I know where I stand even though it's never guaranteed, but with an individual I wondered is there any indication? Like on ebay if you pay £1 for the extra £25, if they don't hand it over you could give them a bad review.

Phsycronix13/06/2020 11:48

I may well be wrong but it's more than likely after 12 months. If you were …I may well be wrong but it's more than likely after 12 months. If you were with Eon in 2017, you'll deffo be a "New" customer.Don't forget: I believe with Eon, Smart Meters are compulsory to obtain their best tariff(s).

Anyone confirm when you become a new customer, even if with other energy companies?Phsy could you explain your experience, why that is your opinion pls? Thank you, it says the cashback offer expires tomorrow so I need to decide.
Supa13/06/2020 20:06

I do think most of my cashbacks have been successful so I know where I …I do think most of my cashbacks have been successful so I know where I stand even though it's never guaranteed, but with an individual I wondered is there any indication? Like on ebay if you pay £1 for the extra £25, if they don't hand it over you could give them a bad review.Anyone confirm when you become a new customer, even if with other energy companies?Phsy could you explain your experience, why that is your opinion pls? Thank you, it says the cashback offer expires tomorrow so I need to decide.

Bulb haven't pushed me in to getting a smart meter, don't really want one either.I think electric prices change depending on what region your in im definitely saving money with bulb compared to previous company i was with

I do think most of my cashbacks have been successful so I know where I …I do think most of my cashbacks have been successful so I know where I stand even though it's never guaranteed, but with an individual I wondered is there any indication? Like on ebay if you pay £1 for the extra £25, if they don't hand it over you could give them a bad review.Anyone confirm when you become a new customer, even if with other energy companies?Phsy could you explain your experience, why that is your opinion pls? Thank you, it says the cashback offer expires tomorrow so I need to decide.

No one really advertises what a new customer is. It’s normally recognised that any period of time over a normal contract length is new. So for a utility, if they have any exit fees. Assuming you stay with them for say 12 months to avoid exit fees, if the my have them. Then to return 12 months afterwards you’d be new.

Bulb referrals aren’t shared by the referee, it’s done as a credit to your account by bulb themselves. I’ve only done it once, by Sharing my referral code with someone. It did t appear when expected. My referral recipient contacted bulb and they fixed it within 24h.
Oneday7713/06/2020 23:31

No one really advertises what a new customer is. It’s normally recognised t …No one really advertises what a new customer is. It’s normally recognised that any period of time over a normal contract length is new. So for a utility, if they have any exit fees. Assuming you stay with them for say 12 months to avoid exit fees, if the my have them. Then to return 12 months afterwards you’d be new. Bulb referrals aren’t shared by the referee, it’s done as a credit to your account by bulb themselves. I’ve only done it once, by Sharing my referral code with someone. It did t appear when expected. My referral recipient contacted bulb and they fixed it within 24h.

Thank you! Just to double check, you've seen that in practice with an energy company? I remember that for with Virgin media, they said it was 18 months or similar.
Supa14/06/2020 00:16

Thank you! Just to double check, you've seen that in practice with an …Thank you! Just to double check, you've seen that in practice with an energy company? I remember that for with Virgin media, they said it was 18 months or similar.

I’ve read it on occasion in T&Cs. Though wouldn’t have any examples to hand.
As others have said, cash back is never guaranteed. The only exception to that would be if it’s direct from the provider and their T&Cs are followed. 3rd parties like Quidco/TCB can and will deviate for any reason they see fit.

Phsy could you explain your experience, why that is your opinion pls? …Phsy could you explain your experience, why that is your opinion pls? Thank you, it says the cashback offer expires tomorrow so I need to decide.

Sorry Supa. I'd love to confirm it to you but many companies have differing ways of thinking. I've seen threads on here over the years and some say that you are considered a "new" customer after a full calendar year has passed. Others have said some companies treat you as 'new' after closing an account - and opening a new one. I.e. you can be a new customer on the same day!

I cannot possibly see how after 2 years+ you wouldn't be seen as a new customer anyway. Other than that, do you not have a partner or spouse who could sign up in their name? Or, if in your name at least use a different Email address than the one you used the first time around.

Sorry I can't be of any more use. I did try searching for info regarding Eon's policy but had no luck. I'm surprised you cannot contact them really. I know it says they are only taking emergency calls/live chat but you could try your luck and ask the question?

One thing I do know - for me; personally; I'll never go back to Eon. No matter how cheap they are! I too am in my second year with Bulb Energy and am very happy so far. I love their simplicity and ease of use. No longer the cheapest for me; I'll add; but I will stick with them for now...

All the best, Phsy.
Oneday7714/06/2020 10:18

I’ve read it on occasion in T&Cs. Though wouldn’t have any examples to han …I’ve read it on occasion in T&Cs. Though wouldn’t have any examples to hand. As others have said, cash back is never guaranteed. The only exception to that would be if it’s direct from the provider and their T&Cs are followed. 3rd parties like Quidco/TCB can and will deviate for any reason they see fit.

Phsycronix14/06/2020 12:09

Sorry Supa. I'd love to confirm it to you but many companies have …Sorry Supa. I'd love to confirm it to you but many companies have differing ways of thinking. I've seen threads on here over the years and some say that you are considered a "new" customer after a full calendar year has passed. Others have said some companies treat you as 'new' after closing an account - and opening a new one. I.e. you can be a new customer on the same day!I cannot possibly see how after 2 years+ you wouldn't be seen as a new customer anyway. Other than that, do you not have a partner or spouse who could sign up in their name? Or, if in your name at least use a different Email address than the one you used the first time around.Sorry I can't be of any more use. I did try searching for info regarding Eon's policy but had no luck. I'm surprised you cannot contact them really. I know it says they are only taking emergency calls/live chat but you could try your luck and ask the question?One thing I do know - for me; personally; I'll never go back to Eon. No matter how cheap they are! I too am in my second year with Bulb Energy and am very happy so far. I love their simplicity and ease of use. No longer the cheapest for me; I'll add; but I will stick with them for now...All the best, Phsy.

Thank you for the advice, it's very much appreciated, I emailed them but they sent a canned reply lol. It's not a good sign, so I might have to reconsider going with them, why should their customers/potentially not be able to speak to them.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants